Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
dadking

Sound Level Monitor
      #989688 - 25/05/12 11:32 PM
I am looking for some sort of level meter that i can leave on while monitoring mixing so that i dont start using the volume control to compensate for tired ears and bad mixes. I know i can get sound level meters but something that would connect inline with my monitors would be nice.
does such a thing exist or is there a suitable circuit diagram available. Usual criteria its got to be cheap.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
chris...

Re: Sound Level Monitor new [Re: dadking]
      #989700 - 26/05/12 02:58 AM
You want a sound level meter. What's not to like ?

Something inline with your monitors might (if it exists at all) have a detrimental effect on sound quality.

Maybe there's some metering software (plugin) you can insert across your DAW's master bus, which will show what's wanted, assuming you don't change the monitor level control.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: Sound Level Monitor new [Re: chris...]
      #989703 - 26/05/12 04:24 AM
This,
http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/st-85a/sound-level-meter-mini-a-type/dp/I N05467
Is surely cheap enough that you could permanently attach it to the wall between your monitors?
Fit a Lithium PP3 and it will last 12 months easy I would think or, get a cheap SM 9V supply and bosh it into the battery connector?

You cannot just monitor the level on the monitor feed since this would assume that the level pots on the speakers are never touched. In any case, it is the sound PRESSURE level you need to measure, the input volts is not quite the same thing....Flip! You would need an SPL meter to calibrate the system anyway!

Dave.

dadking

#989741 - 26/05/12 10:20 AM
I have seen these meters many moons ago but they where expensive and apart from sound pressure levels also phase and a few other measurements, I think SoS did a review of one a few years back.
Speaker levels are never touched but the main fader is always up and down, tending to ride up late into a session. A sound pressuremeter seems to be the answer, and whats 12 quid nowadays.
Thanks for the info

Tomás Mulcahy

Loc: Cork, Ireland.
      #989843 - 27/05/12 11:41 AM
Connecting in line won't work because you will need to measure sound pressure level at the mix position. That is a function of your speakers, amp setting and room acoustics. Do you have an iPhone? These guys make a free SPL meter that is good (has built in compensation for the bass roll off in the iPhone):
http://www.studiosixdigital.com/products_2.html

And check out Bob Katz's "K system";
http://www.digido.com/level-practices-part-2-includes-the-k-system.html

--------------------
madtheory creations
Synths and pianos for Kontakt

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: Sound Level Monitor new [Re: Tomás Mulcahy]
      #989848 - 27/05/12 12:32 PM
Thomas,
Since I think the OP just want to have a reference to keep to regardless of his demure, even a VU meter across the monitor feed lines would be better than nothing assuming the speaker pots are not touched.

I also think you would have to make some serious changes to a rooms acoustics to have much effect upon the integrated SPL reading?

The advantage of that cheap meter as I see it is that it can be "No Nailed" in place and will forever give the sound level at that spot.

Dave.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #989858 - 27/05/12 02:19 PM
Quote dadking:

I am looking for some sort of level meter that i can leave on while monitoring mixing so that i dont start using the volume control to compensate for tired ears and bad mixes.

You've already got adequate meters in your daw, and a meter wont stop you reaching for the volume knob. Only self discipline can do that.

I would suggest adopting the Bob Katz k-meter approach to combine a fixed calibrated monitoring SPL with a set headroom margin on the peak meters. You'll find practical info on Bob's website and here:

http://www.aes.org/technical/documentDownloads.cfm?docID=65

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3260

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media