Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Peter Conz Connelly

Loc: Tyne & Wear, UK
Intel Q6600 + DP35DP new
      #988902 - 22/05/12 11:13 AM
Hi Guys,

I want an interim upgrade to my PC, currently a...

Intel Q6600
Intel DP35DP
2GB RAM DDR800
Win XP Pro 32 Bit

... which I've had since 2007 so would getting 8GB RAM fitted and Win 7 Ultinate 64bit installed show a decent performance increase?

I will get a newer system soon with all the mod cons later, just need a bit extra horsepower in the meantime

Cheers,
Peter

--------------------
Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Sound Designer
www.peterconnelly.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Scramble

Re: Intel Q6600 + DP35DP new [Re: Peter Conz Connelly]
      #988905 - 22/05/12 11:20 AM
A bit, but not much. Unless, that is, your projects use a lot of memory and are constantly on the verge on using up all available RAM -- in that case having more RAM available will be a big help.

Peter Conz Connelly

Re: Intel Q6600 + DP35DP new [Re: Scramble]
      #988906 - 22/05/12 11:22 AM
Quote Scramble:

A bit, but not much. Unless, that is, your projects use a lot of memory and are constantly on the verge on using up all available RAM -- in that case having more RAM available will be a big help.

Thanks Scramble,

I use a lot of VSTi's and huge orch libraries (ProjectSAM Symphobia 1/2, NI, East West, etc) so assume more RAM would be beneficial.

Cheers,
Peter

--------------------
www.peterconnelly.com

The Korff
Loose Cannon (Reviews Editor)

Loc: The Wrong Precinct
      #988911 - 22/05/12 11:48 AM
More than likely!

Cheers,

Chris

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #988946 - 22/05/12 02:56 PM
Quote Peter Conz Connelly:

... which I've had since 2007 so would getting 8GB RAM fitted and Win 7 Ultinate 64bit installed show a decent performance increase?

I will get a newer system soon with all the mod cons later, just need a bit extra horsepower in the meantime

I know you were using a term of phrase, but doing this isn't likely to gain you anymore horsepower rather just more memory space to work in.

Load up a project that is currently maxing out your rig and take a loop at your performance monitor (ctrl + alt + del keys then task manager > performance)then see what it's doing with the project you've loaded up is playing.

Is the CPU usage maxed out?

Now click on processes and see how much memory is being used. The Cubase.exe process should be showing around 2GB ( 2097152k give or take) in use on your current setup... if its being maxed out.

Your running a 32bit OS so by default it'll use only 2GB max for Cubase and the rest will remain with the OS. You could throw in the /3GB switch there if you've 4GB to play with already and it might tie you over a tad. In fact checking back again your currently using 2GB total in the system which means (I suspect) that once windows etc... has loaded your probably only getting 1.5GB of usable space which means if the /3GB switch did work for you, you might acturly be able to double your application usable space by installing another 2GB. If so you could then forget about win7 until you do finally upgrade if its not too far down the road.

Going to 64bit OS and keeping the 32bit Sequencer would give you 4GB to play with in the sequencer (and so allow you twice the current memory space) unless you also upgrade the sequencer as well which should let you use up a lot more memory in your projects if so.

However your current board takes DDR 2 and whilst you can pick up 4GB of that stuff for about £45, be aware that should you be in line to upgrade in the short term the new boards are ddr3 so you likely won't be taking it with you.

So basicly if your maxing out the CPU currently, then its time for the full upgrade. If your simply running out of memory then yes, more memory is the answer. From what you've described and the apps your running I think it could well be memory constraints as you suspect, but then it'd be quite annoying should you upgrade the memory and then discover that the CPU was running at max anyhow.

Any perticular reason you went for win7 ulitmate? If your not going over 16GB in the lifetime of the machine then Home premium will do the job and even if you are then win7 pro might still be the better choice without costing you quite as much as ultimate.

--------------------
Check out our currently running, audio creation competition with a huge selection of prizes @ Scan Velocity 2014

Carillon Audio Syste...

#988948 - 22/05/12 02:57 PM
With those instruments I would say so. Best thing to do though is to load up a project have it playing and then check task manager, have a look what the RAM and CPU levels are up to.

But your current 2GB with those large sample instruments will probably be a bottleneck as a stop gap your plan sounds right (ideally you want faster RAM as well as more and the updated memory controller, but all that is a lot more expensive then dropping some more RAM in!)

--------------------
Say hello on Facebook www.facebook.com/CarillonAudioSystems

Carillon Audio Syste...

Re: Intel Q6600 + DP35DP new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #988953 - 22/05/12 03:03 PM
Ha, was too slow with the post button.

With Windows though it might be a good idea to get the Pro Retail version so you can use it on future machines (the OEM ties it to your current machine and if it's a stop gap you might not be getting your monies worth)

--------------------

Butters

Loc: Herts UK
Re: Intel Q6600 + DP35DP [Re: Peter Conz Connelly]
      #989918 - 27/05/12 10:23 PM
A bit of a side issue -

I have the same setup as you- I ran speccy the other night and I noticed that all my 4 cores were not running at the same speed. Not sure why , but may be worth checking yours too.

I was going to post a specific thread on this. Let me know what yours are set to first?

My setup:-

Q6600 Kentsfield
Core 0 - 2400.1 Mhz
Core 1 - 2400.1 Mhz
Core 2 - 1600 Mhz
Core 3 - 1600 Mhz

MB = DP35DP

--------------------
"A young man's tattoo, becomes an old man's graffiti" - Image Is Everything
Peter Cyriax PaQ ultra quiet PC system, with some DAW software

Peter Conz Connelly

#990408 - 30/05/12 12:31 PM
Hi Guys,

With 1x instance of Kontakt4 (NI Abbey Road Drums and NI Concert Grand) and 1x instance of EW Play (1 large string section) open, it's using around 2GB of RAM and my CPU is around 15%-20%.

I reckon my interim upgrade would be very beneficial, yeah?!?!?!

Cheers,
Peter

--------------------
www.peterconnelly.com

Carillon Audio Syste...

#990427 - 30/05/12 02:01 PM
Yep!

--------------------

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #990439 - 30/05/12 02:47 PM
Aye, sounds good.

--------------------
Check out our currently running, audio creation competition with a huge selection of prizes @ Scan Velocity 2014

Peter Conz Connelly

#990663 - 31/05/12 03:51 PM
I know I already mentioned I wanted Win 7 64-bit above but, before I take the plunge, someone just asked if my PC is 64-bit compatible?

Cheers,
Peter

--------------------
www.peterconnelly.com

Scramble

#990747 - 01/06/12 09:30 AM
Yes, it's 64-bit compatible.

Time-wise, budget for twice as much time as you think for re-installing all your software. Hope you've got a good list of all your software details -- logins, passwords, serials, etc.

Scramble

Re: Intel Q6600 + DP35DP new [Re: Scramble]
      #990750 - 01/06/12 09:35 AM
Note also that you can still run 32-bit programs as normal on a 64-bit Windows. I run 32-bit Cubase -- Windows 7 allows me to use 4Gb for it, which solved all the memory problems I was having with large projects.

Another memory-related advantage is that with W7 (presuming you have at least 8Gb of RAM) a lot more OS stuff gets loaded into RAM rather than virtual RAM (ie. on a hard disk), which speeds things up a bit too.

Peter Conz Connelly

#991257 - 04/06/12 05:56 PM
Thanks everyone.

The upgrade has been done and it went very well, I'm very much enjoying the extra horses under the bonnet. I did panic about re-installing Komplete 7 libs again but remembered they were on secondary drives so I just had to install the programs. Perfect

I used a new drive so, just in case there was anything I forgot, I can just swap 'em back

Cheers,
P

--------------------
www.peterconnelly.com

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 3495

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media