Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Weedog

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
2nd hand Guitars in London?
      #990323 - 30/05/12 06:42 AM
Hi all, I hope this is the right place to make this post.

I'm coming to London soon and looking to see if there was a 2nd hand market for Guitars and if anybody can point me in the right direction.

I'm bringing an electric with me from Australia, but hoping to find a nice acoustic that will keep me company for the year or so I'm in the UK.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Callan.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Darren Lynch

Re: 2nd hand Guitars in London? new [Re: Weedog]
      #990338 - 30/05/12 08:06 AM
A lot of used guitar action in London takes place on Gumtree. There's always lots of acoustics on there. Denmark Street remains a good source of used instruments, but at prices higher than private sale. I've always found the staff at Wunjo Guitars to be very helpful. When I part exchanged a guitar they went straight in at the realistic price I expected from a shop - they didn't try it on with the low offer.

Frisonic

Loc: London, United Kingdom
      #990390 - 30/05/12 11:42 AM
Hi Callan,

Despite the internet (not a place anybody with any sense would ever buy a musical instrument without the opportunity to play it first) people here in London do still have choices. Whilst there are no longer as many great guitar shops as there used to be, some still thrive and survive. By all means try your luck on Denmark St. which seems to work for some people. I've always shied away from it myself because as a niche hub it has its good and bad dealers, and you certainly need to go there with your eyes and ears wide open. Two small, independent guitar shops I think are also worth visiting are Chandler Guitars in Kew (SW London) and Wild Guitars in Highgate (NW London). Both are small, established businesses. Both carry a varied stock of new and used acoustic and electric instruments. Both have highly respected benches which can sort out most luthiery and amp/pedal issues in house and to a high standard.

If its an acoustic you're after we don't have anything like NYC's Mandolin Brothers but either of the above are likely to have something in stock that will capture the imagination across the price ranges. Chandlers are a larger operation than Wild and certainly carry more stock. Which is never to say the one with the least choice won't have the guitar that speaks to you. Good luck!

PS Don't be surprised if your post gets moved to 'Guitar Technology' which would be the more appropriate Forum for this question.

--------------------
Strictly project and just for fun

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #990446 - 30/05/12 03:11 PM
Good idea Frisonic...

Shazaam!!

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

DAGGILARR

Loc: Exeter, Devon.
Re: 2nd hand Guitars in London? new [Re: Frisonic]
      #990479 - 30/05/12 05:53 PM
Quote Frisonic:

Hi Callan,
Despite the internet (not a place anybody with any sense would ever buy a musical instrument without the opportunity to play it first)

I have always found that ebay listers are happy to let you go and view a guitar before bidding, and at times will do a deal right there and then, there loads listed in London.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3128

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media