Main Forums >> Apps and Other Computers/OS
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
iPad / External USB audio interfaces and control surfaces
      #990610 - 31/05/12 12:49 PM
So I bought a Camera Connection Kit because "the internet said" I could use 'class compliant' USB audio devices to get audio/midi into the iPad. It didn't work with my Zoom H4 or Korg NanoPad - what's going on? Wrong devices? Any help much appreciated!

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: iPad / External USB audio interfaces and control surfaces new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #990624 - 31/05/12 01:23 PM
Seems like a bit of a minefield.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/ipad-usb-audio-interface-compatibility -confirmed-250703

http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2010/ios/ipad/usb-audio-devices-that-work- with-ipad/

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

mick.n

Loc: It's grim up north.
Re: iPad / External USB audio interfaces and control surfaces new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #990681 - 31/05/12 06:43 PM
I bought the camera connection kit & the only thing i have used it for so far is to connect my Yamaha Motif (Classic\first version)via its usb out to play the "Garage band" instruments from the keyboard.

ezza

#990693 - 31/05/12 07:45 PM
Try connecting a poweredUSB hub to the cck and connecting the h4 and nano pad to that. I have a zoom h4n and the nanopad and I have got them both working with the iPad.

/erol

Richard Graham

Re: iPad / External USB audio interfaces and control surfaces new [Re: ezza]
      #990699 - 31/05/12 08:32 PM
Thanks Ezza, that's really useful info!

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

fleming24

#1005782 - 28/08/12 06:38 AM
Thank you ezza , this is really useful information. because i was suffering the same problem.

Richard Graham

#1011064 - 01/10/12 10:53 PM
Bought a Belkin 7 port powered USB hub, plugged everything into that. Zoom H4 now functions as external stereo microphone, mic/line/instrument input and headphone amp for GarageBand. Korg Nanopad Connected simultaneously handles drum duties. All works seamlessly. I am pleased as punch.

http://www.ebuyer.com/224107-belkin-usb-2-0-7-port-mobile-hub-black-

--------------------

Marbury

Loc: Cheshire, UK
      #1012708 - 10/10/12 08:22 AM
Ok, can anyone advise what I should use for connecting it to my PC running Cubase SX3, external Yamaha Motif, Roland JP8080 going through Edirol UM-2 (2 in-2 out midi)?

Thanks

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/ianhubball

Richard Graham

Re: iPad / External USB audio interfaces and control surfaces new [Re: Marbury]
      #1012829 - 10/10/12 04:07 PM
What, an iPad? For midi, use the powered hub, camera connection kit, and any class-compliant Midi interface - then midi that to your PC via the edirol. For audio, much the same but with an audio interface feeding your edirol.

Or you can buy dedicated audio and midi interfaces for the iPad. E.g. The Alesis ioDock. I've heard mixed reports about those, though.

--------------------

Goddard

#1012850 - 10/10/12 06:35 PM
Quote Marbury:

Ok, can anyone advise what I should use for connecting it to my PC running Cubase SX3, external Yamaha Motif, Roland JP8080 going through Edirol UM-2 (2 in-2 out midi)?

Well, there's no perfect solution yet, but you might look at the Tascam iU2, which can dock with iPad via dock cable or connect via USB to a PC/Mac (but unfortunately, not at the same time) and has a coax S/PDIF digital output as well as MIDI I/O. So, can use S/PDIF to output digitally from iPad to your DAW (if your PC/Mac interface has a coax S/PDIF input). I like the iU2 very much as both an iPad and PC/Mac interface, but of course ymmv so recommend trying before buying if possible.

The Alesis IODock is also nice, but less versatile in some respects, working only as an iPad interface and lacking ny digital audio output (USB does MIDI but not audio I/O) and thus can only output analog audio (IODock's coax jack is only analog video out). The IODock's big advantage over the iU2 is that one can use MIDI devices connected to a PC/Mac with the iPad via the USB connection between the PC/Mac and IODock, a capability the iU2 lacks. I've had no problems using the IODock with an original iPad, but iPad2 users encountered problems when iOS5 first came out (since resolved?).

I'm not aware of any 2x MIDI port solution for iPad, although using the IODock's USB MIDI via PC/Mac a lot is possible (depending upon MIDI channels and app used). Korg Nano controllers connected thru a powered USB hub<>CCK work (as should any "class compliant" (driverless) USB MIDI device), but then audio I/O becomes a challenge (unless one is able/willing to use the iPad's analog in, possibly using something like a Tascam iZX). MIDI via WiFi (or maybe via Bluetooth?) is another option.

Richard Graham

Re: iPad / External USB audio interfaces and control surfaces new [Re: Goddard]
      #1012903 - 11/10/12 03:18 AM
Quote Goddard:

Korg Nano controllers connected thru a powered USB hub<>CCK work (as should any "class compliant" (driverless) USB MIDI device), but then audio I/O becomes a challenge (unless one is able/willing to use the iPad's analog in, possibly using something like a Tascam iZX). MIDI via WiFi (or maybe via Bluetooth?) is another option.

Its not a problem. You can connect both the NanoPad and Zoom H4 to the iPad using a powered hub. Do beats on the nanopad, monitor and record audio through the H4.

--------------------

Goddard

#1013112 - 11/10/12 07:28 PM
Quote Richard Graham:

Quote Goddard:

Korg Nano controllers connected thru a powered USB hub<>CCK work (as should any "class compliant" (driverless) USB MIDI device), but then audio I/O becomes a challenge (unless one is able/willing to use the iPad's analog in, possibly using something like a Tascam iZX). MIDI via WiFi (or maybe via Bluetooth?) is another option.

Its not a problem. You can connect both the NanoPad and Zoom H4 to the iPad using a powered hub. Do beats on the nanopad, monitor and record audio through the H4.

That's very interesting to hear! Doh! Never thought to try that, Don't use an H4 but will try it with the iU2 via USB when I get home. Does it matter what app?

Richard Graham

Re: iPad / External USB audio interfaces and control surfaces new [Re: Goddard]
      #1013146 - 11/10/12 09:58 PM
Quote Goddard:

Quote Richard Graham:

Quote Goddard:

That's very interesting to hear! Doh! Never thought to try that, Don't use an H4 but will try it with the iU2 via USB when I get home. Does it matter what app?

Only tried GarageBand so far, it's all I really use!

--------------------

Marbury

#1013206 - 12/10/12 09:41 AM
Some of the options above are a lot more expensive than I thought. What I am doing at the moment (just to get audio into the mixer) is out from the headphone jack.

I have external my instruments going into my Yamaha AW4416 digital mixer and the audio out from that into the EMU 0404 soundcard via the digital in/out. I would hope to do the same with the ipad but outing the audio into the mixer (analogue) but still being able to control via midi.

--------------------

Edited by Marbury (12/10/12 09:47 AM)

ezza

#1013238 - 12/10/12 11:27 AM
Take the audio from the headphone jack and use an iRig midi or similar for midi in out. Not too expensive.

If you really aren't happy with the sound quality of the headphone out you'll have to look at some of the solutions above.

Do you have a USB audio interface lying about? If it's class compliant there's a chance that it will work with the camera connection kit. There's a list of know working interfaces somewhere on the internet.

/e

Richard Graham

#1013330 - 12/10/12 06:49 PM
Quote Marbury:

Some of the options above are a lot more expensive than I thought. What I am doing at the moment (just to get audio into the mixer) is out from the headphone jack.

I have external my instruments going into my Yamaha AW4416 digital mixer and the audio out from that into the EMU 0404 soundcard via the digital in/out. I would hope to do the same with the ipad but outing the audio into the mixer (analogue) but still being able to control via midi.

If you have a USB audio/midi interface already, the camera connection kit plus USB hub won't break the bank.

--------------------

Marbury

#1013449 - 13/10/12 03:44 PM
The only USB I have is the usual front and rear on the PC. Is that where you mean to connect them ?

--------------------

Richard Graham

#1013470 - 13/10/12 06:04 PM
Quote Marbury:

The only USB I have is the usual front and rear on the PC. Is that where you mean to connect them ?

No, slight misunderstanding. You would need a standard USB audio/midi interface, plus the usb hub and camera connection kit. Once you have this, you can get both high quality audio and MIDI in and out of the iPad.

Afaik there is no way to digitally connect the audio and midi streams *directly* from the iPad to the pc and vice-versa.

--------------------

Marbury

#1013865 - 16/10/12 06:43 AM
Quote Richard Graham:

Quote Marbury:

No, slight misunderstanding. You would need a standard USB audio/midi interface, plus the usb hub and camera connection kit. Once you have this, you can get both high quality audio and MIDI in and out of the iPad.

Afaik there is no way to digitally connect the audio and midi streams *directly* from the iPad to the pc and vice-versa.

Ok, thanks for that. Just to confirm: I need a camera kit (which has the USB hub) a USB interface (for PC ?)

Would this be the right thing ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-in-1-Card-Adapter-Apple-iPad-1-2-3-Camera-Conn ection-Kit-USB-TF-SD-MS-/160829207485#vi-content

Cheers.

--------------------

Edited by Marbury (16/10/12 06:54 AM)

ezza

#1013930 - 16/10/12 11:17 AM
If you are not going to buy the official Apple Camera Connection Kit I would do some research before buying. They aren't all equal.

BTW, you have to jailbreak your iPad to use the one from eBay that you linked to.

Marbury

#1014006 - 16/10/12 03:34 PM
I have no idea what you mean by Jailbreak. I have looked on the Amazon site and various types are sold with mostly 5 star reviews for under a fiver. Apple's are £21.50 !

--------------------

Richard Graham

#1014029 - 16/10/12 06:18 PM
Quote Marbury:

I have no idea what you mean by Jailbreak. I have looked on the Amazon site and various types are sold with mostly 5 star reviews for under a fiver. Apple's are £21.50 !

Apple's one works though, and I didn't see any mention of audio and midi interfaces on the reviews the cheap alternatives. I did see a lot of reviews reporting the iPad throwing up "this device is not supported" messages and people struggling to physically fit the adaptor into the iPad.

Let us know if you get one that works though - it's too late for me as I've gone and spent me 22 quid (and I'm very happy to have done so), but someone else might benefit!

--------------------

Richard Graham

#1014031 - 16/10/12 06:40 PM
Just in case there's any doubt! Here's what you'll need:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/APPLE-Camera-connection-kit-iPad/dp/B004XDMY2W/ref =sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1350411601&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-F5U701PukBLK-USB-Port-Mobile/dp/B003CJ6EGK/ ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1350411747&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-USB-Data-Cable-Male/dp/B001J0TYCK/ref=sr_1_1? s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1350412084&sr=1-1

Plus a "class compliant" audio/midi interface. In my case I already had a Zoom H4, which works a treat.

--------------------

ezza

#1014096 - 17/10/12 07:41 AM
Quote Marbury:

I have no idea what you mean by Jailbreak.

Google is your friend! :-)

mick.n

Loc: It's grim up north.
      #1014114 - 17/10/12 09:49 AM
I must have been lucky (for once) when i bought my camera connection kit for a fiver from ebay. Works perfectly..............so far.

EDIT, This one.

Edited by mick.n (17/10/12 09:53 AM)

Marbury

#1014120 - 17/10/12 10:21 AM
Quote:

Plus a "class compliant" audio/midi interface. In my case I already had a Zoom H4, which works a treat.

Will my Edirol UM-2 be ok ?

--------------------

Brucie808

#1014132 - 17/10/12 11:48 AM
Quote Marbury:

Quote:

Will my Edirol UM-2 be ok ?

There's a a list of devices that do and don't work with the camera connection kit here:

http://iosmidi.com/devices/

Marbury

#1014154 - 17/10/12 01:51 PM
My Edrol UM-2 is not on either list.

My Yamaha Motif has a USB connection, can that be used to control the ipad ?

--------------------

Richard Graham

#1014161 - 17/10/12 02:06 PM
Quote Marbury:

My Edrol UM-2 is not on either list.

My Yamaha Motif has a USB connection, can that be used to control the ipad ?

The Roland UM1S is on the list... might be close enough. After all, my (working) Zoom H4 isn't on the list either. Hard to say about the Motif. My Carillon control 49 does not work, despite being USB.

--------------------

Marbury

#1014173 - 17/10/12 03:26 PM
Oh well, I have ordered the usb kit for the pad and I will see what I can do from there. If not, I will get the other bits.

Indecently, can anyone tell me how to get and external audio input into the ipad to avoid using the built in mic. I would like to use my sample app and get the highest quality I can.

--------------------

Edited by Marbury (17/10/12 03:32 PM)

Richard Graham

#1014180 - 17/10/12 04:24 PM
Quote Marbury:

Oh well, I have ordered the usb kit for the pad and I will see what I can do from there. If not, I will get the other bits.

Indecently, can anyone tell me how to get and external audio input into the ipad to avoid using the built in mic. I would like to use my sample app and get the highest quality I can.

Indecently?

Use a class-compliant audio interface, like the Zoom H4.

--------------------

Marbury

#1014190 - 17/10/12 05:19 PM
I have a Sony D-50

--------------------

Richard Graham

#1014196 - 17/10/12 06:23 PM
Quote Marbury:

I have a Sony D-50

I don't think that's an audio interface, Marbury mate, though I could be wrong. The H4 probably isn't the best example, 'cos its best known as a field recorder, but it works as a 2-in 2-out USB interface as well.

--------------------

Marbury

#1014520 - 19/10/12 05:47 PM
Ok, The camera kit has got USB control from my Yamaha Motif BUT the motif can't be picked up in Cubase because it is switched to USB and not MIDI. If I can find a way of having boath at the same time I have cracked it.

All I need now is to get audio out other than via the headphone jack.

--------------------

Mr Jazz

#1076995 - 01/12/13 02:53 PM
WOW! This just cracked the case wide open for me. Thanks a bunch for the info (a jear later). Having read this post I intrepidly plugged my whole setup - two Belkin 7 port USB hubs in series, with different MIDI and audio machines hanging off them - via the CCK into my iPad.

I got a compalint from Ipad that the usb wasn't available, but I looked in MIDI Designer Pro anyway, set up a knob with the same CC as on my Padkontrol, & twisted that sucker. Low and behold, the midi worked. I tried iLectric and could play it from my kybd plugged via USB into the Belkin. I fell back in my chair just laughing with joy!

I've yet to check my audio, but I have high hopes as one is the R16 from Zoom. Muchos gracias, Richard.

very happy chappy.

--------------------
that's Mr Jazz Mag to you, sonny

Richard Graham

#1077211 - 03/12/13 11:13 AM
And thanks again to Ezza, who advised me! And most of all, to Sound on Sound, without whose forum, none of us would be able to share all this valuable info!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts, TESTER33,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 16739

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media