Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
StudioLive 24.4.2 - any users? new
      #974606 - 07/03/12 05:28 PM
Just been told the next gig I'm mixing has one of these. Anything I should be aware of or is it all song and gladness?

http://www.presonus.com/products/detail.aspx?productid=59

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
seablade

Re: StudioLive 24.4.2 - any users? new [Re: oggyb]
      #974607 - 07/03/12 05:35 PM
Quote oggyb:

Just been told the next gig I'm mixing has one of these. Anything I should be aware of or is it all song and gladness?

http://www.presonus.com/products/detail.aspx?productid=59

If it is working it can be a decent analog on steroids style desk. Don't depend on the scene recall during a show. I am not a particularly large fan of it's interface to be honest, but it is a fair amount of power packed into a cheaply priced box.

However I have run across or heard of more than a few of these that decided they needed to be re flashed at random in order to work correctly recently. So make sure it is in fact working or that it gets re-flashed.

Seablade

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #974658 - 08/03/12 12:51 AM
No problems here, but as Seablade says the scene recall is poor, mainly a problem for theatre work, but it is workable for a multiple band gig where you want to save several sound checks, but be aware there's a short drop out when changing scenes.

Pretty intuitive and powerful for the price.

Would pay to read the manual but probably the easiest digital desk to operate I've come across.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
      #974662 - 08/03/12 02:37 AM
Thanks guys.

I think it's a recent acquisition, so should be in good factory working condition. If there's a support act it'll be very simple, so I shall have no need for scene switching. Will read the manual

There will be a Mac rigged up for multitrack recording too, and that excites me.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

seablade

#974664 - 08/03/12 02:47 AM
Quote oggyb:

Thanks guys.

I think it's a recent acquisition, so should be in good factory working condition.

Don't trust that, the one I got had to be reflashed despite being fairly new from the factory. It 'seemed' to work until I got there and showed them that solo wasn't working for instance, routing was inconsistent, etc.

Seablade

robare99

LOST *DELETED* new [Re: oggyb]
      #974953 - 09/03/12 05:34 PM
Post deleted by James Perrett

Edited by robare99 (09/03/12 06:25 PM)

robare99

Re: StudioLive 24.4.2 - any users? new [Re: robare99]
      #974958 - 09/03/12 06:38 PM
Wow. Hate the time limit on edits. Heres the edited one... Mods can u please delete the post above.

Thanks!

Here it is

Set your gains at around -15db on the meter.

Hit the select button for a channel, the first LED meter on the main section, upper right corner will be the input gain for that channel. The one beside it is the gain reduction channel. It says "selected channel" above it.

That's where you set your gain. Once you have your levels set, you can adjust each aux by hitting that aux button, then turning the dial under each channel on the meter bridge. They are numbered according to each channel. Underneath is the controls for the fat channel.

Instead of each channel having a strip, there is one huge strip, the fat channel.

When you select a channel, those are the controls for that channel. Each channel has:

HPG
Gate
Compressor
Limiter
Full PEQ

Anything with a select button has this full channel for control. That means:

24 channels
10 aux's
2 FX channels
4 subgroups
Mains
2 Aux Ins

Routing is the row of buttons under the fat channel plus some others.

Link - links 2 channels together 1-2 etc then I believe you only have to adjust one, to get both the act the same.
Copy - copy one channel to the next. Hit copy then hit the channel you want to copy to, then hit load
Load, loads the channel. I also think you hit load, then u can use the dial under the display to load a channel setting. Kick drum bass etc. pretty good starting points.

Then the rest are the routing. Just pick one or more and you're good to go. If you aren't getting sound from a channel, make sure it's routed somewhere...

The way I described the aux levels, is how you add effects as well. You choose the effect then turn the dial to add effects to any channel.

To add effects to the aux's hit the Mix button twice and it brings you to a second level. You can see the levels under the first 7 dials...

Dials 1-7 work in this layer or flip mode. The rest of the meter bridge will have an LED at the top and bottom lit up, because they are not in use when in this flip mode.

The ones I use most are:

5 - FXA
6 - FXB
7 - Talkback

Then there's the meter bridge, you can select inputs, outputs, gain reduction and the levels of the aux's

There's also the solo channels, use the PFL.

DO NOT USE SIP DURING THE GIG

Is is called Solo In Place, right above the Sub1 label, and it's for playback. When you hit it, everything mutes except for the solo'd channel. Handy as heck for playback, but you do NOT want that happening during the gig!!

Talkback, set the levels for each aux, then choose 1-2, 3-7, 8-10, main or a combination of those. Hit talk and you're good to go!

For effects, press the FX button, the use the buttons on either side of the dial to move the cursor. Move it to the FXA the use the dial to select the effect. Then move to the FXB and select that one as well.

Tap is handy, make sure you move the cursor to the time part of the effect.

Other than that. During the gig just select a channel to make any adjustments. The display on the meter bridge will change to the settings for that channel and you can make your adjustments via the dials underneath. Since the dials don't need to change position, an that's the control surface for everything, there's no need for movable faders.

The nice thing is, no matter where you are, adjusting a channel, or an FX send or an Aux, if channel 1 is the kick drum, fader 1 is always the kick channel. If you're adjusting a monitor mix, and a guitar solo startsC just bring up the fader. No need to jump back 2 or 3 menus..

Hope this helps!!! I set all my aux's at the u mark.
I usually run my mains so they tickle the second yellow. There's a dial on the back to also adjust the output.

Good luck, have fun!!!

Edited by robare99 (09/03/12 06:41 PM)

robare99

#987628 - 15/05/12 06:17 PM
How did it go??

Mike Sullivan

Loc: Ashland, KY, USA
Re: StudioLive 24.4.2 - any users? new [Re: robare99]
      #988324 - 19/05/12 07:36 AM
Quote robare99:

How did it go??

x2

I just got home (literally 5 minutes ago) from my first gig with the Studiolive 24. 3 bands, one was a Christian rock band, the second was bluegrass, and the third was a 5-piece classic rock band. All three were a cinch with the SL24. Last year when we did a bluegrass band, you couldn't get loud at all without feedback. But the sound these things put out, holy hell.

We were set up on one end of an (American) football field...after setup I ran some music thru at full volume & drove around the track that encompasses the field to see how it sounded (a good 125 yards away) and the quality of my EV's hooked to the Studiolive blew my mind. I got so many comments on how excellent the system sounded, by musicians, vendors, guests, and more. The Studiolive made it quick and easy to set up a band. Get levels set, load some presets, tweak a little bit, add the monitor mix, and you're good to go. Once I had everything mic'd up and ready, it took me less than 5 minutes to sound check.

Although the lack of flying faders is a bummer, the Studiolive is a GREAT board for the price. You'll learn to love it. Rick Navqi has a bunch of videos on how to use the board. Once you watch a couple, it becomes second nature. I took it on a gig with zero practice and nothing but video watching.

If you already did the gig, then you probably know this.

--------------------
Ice Cold Productions Live Sound & Lighting
Just your average small town sound guy.

SANDOLUM

Re: StudioLive 24.4.2 - any users? [Re: oggyb]
      #991361 - 05/06/12 01:32 PM
Had one for over a year now and it has worked flawlessly live, lay out is pretty straight forward and you will find your way around the board in no time.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6211

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media