SOS Forums >> Magazine, Website & Forum Feedback
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Band

Opt-In only ? new
      #991795 - 07/06/12 01:51 PM
Why is the site cookie control opt-in only ?

Are you trying to force your subscribers to accept third-party tracking by underhand methods ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Opt-In only ? new [Re: Band]
      #991796 - 07/06/12 02:00 PM
If you don't opt-in by clicking the accept button, the cookies aren't employed... There is no need for an opt-out button.

Of course, without the cookies many site functions will no longer work.

It's all explained HERE along with an explanation of what Cookies we use and which come from legitimate third parties.

There's nothing underhand going on, and we have followed 'industry best practice' in implementing these new (but poorly thought out) EU requirements.

There is another thread in the Forum Feeback section discussing this here

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Band

Re: Opt-In only ? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #991841 - 07/06/12 05:51 PM
Really ?

Clicking the opt-in button makes the pop-up disappear.
Where is the button to opt-out and stop it popping up EVERY time I visit the site ?

It smacks of cheap tricks to get unwary users to just give up and opt-in.

Why not just have two buttons, clearly labelled, opt-in or opt-out ?
Or a page similar to the one you click through to and the ability to opt in or out for each type of cookie ?

No wonder people have to resort to cookie-blocking addons with cheap tricks like this.

SOS Technical Editor

#991843 - 07/06/12 06:11 PM
Quote Band:

Really ?

Yes...

Quote:

Yes, and at the same time it records your agreement to accept cookies. This is stored in two new cookies as described in that page I provided the link for above:

Quote:

civicAllowCookies: A cookie to tell us whether you opted to use cookies or not. Yes, it's a bizarre EU cookie law! You can delete this cookie yourself if ever you wish to revoke the use of cookies on our site.

civicShowCookieIcon: Tells our site whether to show you the popup asking you to allow cookies. We hide the icon completely once you have accepted so as to avoid annoying you.

Quote:

Where is the button to opt-out and stop it popping up EVERY time I visit the site ?

There isn't one.

It is a legal requirement to request your agreement to accept cookies whenever you open a web page that uses cookies as an inherent part of its working. If you click the 'accept' button then that agreement is logged (with a cookie) and further request boxes are not shown.

If you don't click 'accept' then the request has to be re-sent every time you open a page here because every page uses cookies by default, and we have, by law, to ask you if you will accept their use each time. It's madness, I know, but blame the Euro-politicians, not us!

Quote:

Sorry you feel like that. I think it is a silly piece of EU legislation, but we have to comply with the law. Obviously we would prefer you to accept cookies because they are necessary for the way our website works -- like the vast majority of similar websites.

There is no risk on accepting cookies from the SOS site. I can assure you that the cookies we use are all completely safe and appropriate, and they are clearly explained in that page I provided the link for.

Quote:

Because the only way to log that opt-in/opt-out decision would be by using a cookie... but by opting out we aren't allowed to write a cookie to log your preference!

Quote:

No wonder people have to resort to cookie-blocking addons with cheap tricks like this.

It's not a cheap trick, and you'll find exactly the same situation with all websites that have complied with this new EU legislation. Whether you choose to accept our cookies is your call, obviously. But this site -- like so many -- simply doesn't work very well if you reject cookies as a lot of the functionality ceases to, er..., function.

Clearly, there are some evil cookies about and some unscrupulous websites that make use of them. The SOS website is not one of them. We use cookies only in the way they are intended to help provide key functions of the site, and only for valid and safe purposes. Everything is documented in that page I refered you to earlier, and completely verifiable.

I will pass your comments about alternative pop-up-free pages for opt-out users back to our New Media Director, though.

Hugh

--------------------

johnny h

#991948 - 08/06/12 01:18 PM
Quote Band:

Really ?

Or a page similar to the one you click through to and the ability to opt in or out for each type of cookie ?

Hysterical reaction. How do you cope with real world problems?

Band

Re: Opt-In only ? new [Re: johnny h]
      #992088 - 09/06/12 02:21 PM
Well, judging by the number of posts, you spend a great deal of time on here, maybe I should be asking you the same question.

Or is this the type of discussion you wanted ?
Please feel free to add something valid or find somewhere else to troll.

SOS Technical Editor

#992092 - 09/06/12 02:34 PM
Can we try to remain polite and courteous please chaps? Forum rules and all that...

hugh

--------------------

johnny h

#992103 - 09/06/12 03:49 PM
Quote Band:

Well, judging by the number of posts, you spend a great deal of time on here, maybe I should be asking you the same question.

Or is this the type of discussion you wanted ?
Please feel free to add something valid or find somewhere else to troll.

Who rattled your cage?

I think Hugh explained the cookie situation perfectly well. I was merely noting the rather overblown tinfoil hat reaction was out of proportion. A valid response in my opinion.

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Opt-In only ? new [Re: johnny h]
      #992114 - 09/06/12 05:05 PM
Quote johnny h:

Who rattled your cage?

You did, muppet!

Quote:

I was merely noting the rather overblown tinfoil hat reaction was out of proportion. A valid response in my opinion.

Perhaps.... but I think it best to drop the subject no, yes?

hugh

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

#992291 - 11/06/12 11:41 AM
Just to wrap this one up, I have had some feedback from our new Media Director on this topic.

He points out that everyone was perfectly happy to use our website without any problems before this EU nonsense came into force. Nothing has changed except our now being required to solicit the users' acceptance of our legitimate use of appropriate cookies -- sonmething they did previously without knowing or caring about it. We have never received any queries or complaints questioning our use of cookies either!

With regard to pop-up free pages, I'm told that such an approach is technically not possible.
The whole SOS site has been developed with cookie technology at its core, as has practically every site in the world. The effort to make a non-cookie site is massive and totally unaffordable, utterly impractical, and quite frankly totally pointless and unnecessary.

Hugh

--------------------

WiredUp

#992349 - 11/06/12 04:07 PM
Since electing to move out of the UK several years ago I had forgotten how ridiculous the British are to obey stupid laws. EU says jump, the Brits jump while the rest of the EU says "na... feck that rubbish" and ignores it as any sensible nation should do.

Of course I'm not saying you should ignore all laws but this one really is quite silly. SOS, like everyone else should have just ignored it and grown a pair. But no..... scary regulator might come after you and god forbid inform you that you are breaking the law which has been dreamed up by an over paid unelected bunch of morons. Thank god I don't have to put up with this shite anymore.

Here's a perfect example of why I left the UK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MSua3BckY1o

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Opt-In only ? [Re: WiredUp]
      #992382 - 11/06/12 08:52 PM
I share your sentiments about ill-conceived Euro policies and regulations, but your suggestion to 'grow a pair' and ignore the ruling is pretty naive. The cost and user-inconvenience of implementing the regulation is small. The risk of significant damage to the business if pursued for ignoring the regulation is high... And the likelihood of being pursued, given the high profile and stats associated with the SOS website, is also high.

It's a no-brainer business decision to play the game. Any other decision would be pointlessly reckless.

Hopefully, the weight of complaints that we and countless other businesses have lodged will eventually ensure common sense prevails. We suspect this regulation will be overturned or updated in the months to come.

The underpinning idea of addressing dubious cookie usage is, obviously, a good one, and the regulation is well meaning... Just badly thought through: the story of Euro-bureaucracy!

Hugh

--------------------

chris...

#992830 - 14/06/12 01:24 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

If you don't click 'accept' then the request has to be re-sent every time you open a page here because every page uses cookies by default, and we have, by law, to ask you if you will accept their use each time. It's madness, I know, but blame the Euro-politicians, not us!

If someone doesn't click 'accept', the site still seems to work, but with the popup repeatedly appearing.

It's perfectly compliant to have a 'no thanks' button, which remembers the user's preference to not have the cookies.

Of course, there is the issue of how to store this preference. Ironically, the most common way is, er, by setting a cookie! However, this cookie is exempt as it's "strictly necessary for the provision of the service requested by the user", so you don't need to obtain explicit consent for it.

Hope that makes (some) sense.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3872

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media