Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Exalted Wombat

Re: Will DAW computers change drastically when Windows 8 is released? new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #993345 - 18/06/12 10:29 AM
Quote Pete Kaine:

At the risk of sounding like an IT equalivent of the "Four Yorkshire Men" sketch....

2 EP's and a stack of remixes on Windows M.E.

Where's my prize?

TL;DR Too lazy to finish an album.

Yup. Somehow we managed to be productive despite the technical shortcomings of various operating systems.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
robinv

Re: Will DAW computers change drastically when Windows 8 is released? new [Re: TAFKAT]
      #993347 - 18/06/12 10:50 AM
Quote TAFKAT:

Disabling Metro simply restores Windows 8 GUI back to the same as Windows 7 , you don't loose the start menu .

I have an applet to totally disable Metro but M.S blocked it on the last preview , I haven't tested it on the current. I am in no hurry to either.. :-)

I didn't know that. Personally i find the Start Menu really annoying so Metro is refreshing and the indexing seems superior to Win7 - but that's just me, an obvious weirdo amongst you more normal, level headed people.

This is one of those weird PC/Mac differences. If Apple did it we'd (assuming we were Mac people) all say "wow, marvellous, look at that, i love learning to use new OS's because Apple knows best and they always get it right, when can i get it?" regardless of how actually poor it was, and Apple would happily ignore any criticism and insist everyone upgrades or they'd threaten the removal of the "Apple Bliss" coolaid. Whereas on the PC Microsoft has such a struggle to do anything new or innovative because it seems to care about people's reaction and ends up tying itself it knots to be all things to all people to all hardware - maybe that's the point - they are trying to be the one OS for everything which is a cool idea but perhaps it's ultimately unworkable - who knows?

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

johnny h

Re: Will DAW computers change drastically when Windows 8 is released? new [Re: robinv]
      #993475 - 18/06/12 08:13 PM
Quote robinv:

Quote TAFKAT:

Disabling Metro simply restores Windows 8 GUI back to the same as Windows 7 , you don't loose the start menu .

I have an applet to totally disable Metro but M.S blocked it on the last preview , I haven't tested it on the current. I am in no hurry to either.. :-)

I didn't know that. Personally i find the Start Menu really annoying so Metro is refreshing and the indexing seems superior to Win7 - but that's just me, an obvious weirdo amongst you more normal, level headed people.

This is one of those weird PC/Mac differences. If Apple did it we'd (assuming we were Mac people) all say "wow, marvellous, look at that, i love learning to use new OS's because Apple knows best and they always get it right, when can i get it?" regardless of how actually poor it was, and Apple would happily ignore any criticism and insist everyone upgrades or they'd threaten the removal of the "Apple Bliss" coolaid. Whereas on the PC Microsoft has such a struggle to do anything new or innovative because it seems to care about people's reaction and ends up tying itself it knots to be all things to all people to all hardware - maybe that's the point - they are trying to be the one OS for everything which is a cool idea but perhaps it's ultimately unworkable - who knows?

Apple have vision and they see things through to the end while making sure its a good idea. That's why in general macs work. Windows 8 seems like a pretty blunt and rather ridiculous mashing together of phone and desktop operating systems. I hope I'm wrong but it seems pretty poor right now. My iPad already works beautifully with windows 7 and the metro interface looks terrible, so what's good about windows 8?

robinv

Re: Will DAW computers change drastically when Windows 8 is released? new [Re: johnny h]
      #993480 - 18/06/12 08:44 PM
Quote johnny h:

My iPad already works beautifully with windows 7 and the metro interface looks terrible, so what's good about windows 8?

nuffin' it's all awful, just.... awful

--------------------

TAFKAT

Loc: Australia
Re: Will DAW computers change drastically when Windows 8 is released? new [Re: robinv]
      #993636 - 19/06/12 09:24 PM
Quote robinv:

Personally i find the Start Menu really annoying so Metro is refreshing and the indexing seems superior to Win7 - but that's just me, an obvious weirdo amongst you more normal, level headed people.

We are definitely on different planes, well for the most part, I hate the expanded start menu of Vista/Win7 , I actually prefer a well organised classic start menu which I still use in Win7 - despite it no longer being available as standard in Win7.

Quote:

This is one of those weird PC/Mac differences. If Apple did it we'd (assuming we were Mac people) all say "wow, marvellous, look at that, i love learning to use new OS's because Apple knows best and they always get it right, when can i get it?" regardless of how actually poor it was, and Apple would happily ignore any criticism and insist everyone upgrades or they'd threaten the removal of the "Apple Bliss" coolaid.

I really don't think that would be the case actually. As much as the reality distortion field does distort the perceptions of those susceptible, the lure of OSX for many MACnoids is that there is a minimalist and familiar approach that does not change too much , it is what I like most about OSX as well , at least up until 10.6.8. I think Lion tried to impose some similar B.S with a stack of icons flooding the desktop ( Launchpad) , ala iOS - which many did not like. I cringed when I saw that, so imagine what I felt like with Win8.

I have MAC clients who barely can navigate OSX as it is, any major change like Win8 style GUI would give them a coronary.. :-)

Quote:

Whereas on the PC Microsoft has such a struggle to do anything new or innovative because it seems to care about people's reaction and ends up tying itself it knots to be all things to all people to all hardware - maybe that's the point - they are trying to be the one OS for everything which is a cool idea but perhaps it's ultimately unworkable - who knows?

M.S has a far larger gene pool to look after than Apple , despite all the recent hysteria over their iGadgets. M.S's mistake with Win8 is assuming that the larger user base are sheeple , I believe they will realise that is more reserved to the iGeneration... LOL

V.C

--------------------
AAVIM Technology
DAWbench.com

Johnsy

#993701 - 20/06/12 09:31 AM
Quote robinv:

nuffin' it's all awful, just.... awful

InactiveX

Loc: England
Re: Will DAW computers change drastically when Windows 8 is released? new [Re: Johnsy]
      #994303 - 23/06/12 09:21 AM
The new multi-monitor features are what interest me in Win8. Surprised no-one has mentioned it:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/051612-microsoft-tunes-up-windows-8- 259340.html

OneWorld

Re: Will DAW computers change drastically when Windows 8 is released? [Re: alexis]
      #994510 - 24/06/12 04:48 PM
I was watching the telly the other night and there was an article about the 'super secret presentation' of the Microsoft Touch. I don't know who the geezer was, but if there were Oscars for super-hyerisation he would take the biscuit, I thought he was hyper-ventillating - anyone would think it were the coming of the Messiah he was banging on about - for crying out loud - it is a computer gizmo that you can touch, he was like Moses coming down from the mountain with the sacred tablets LOL

Exalted Wombat

Re: Will DAW computers change drastically when Windows 8 is released? new [Re: OneWorld]
      #994527 - 24/06/12 07:28 PM
Quote OneWorld:

I was watching the telly the other night and there was an article about the 'super secret presentation' of the Microsoft Touch. I don't know who the geezer was, but if there were Oscars for super-hyerisation he would take the biscuit, I thought he was hyper-ventillating - anyone would think it were the coming of the Messiah he was banging on about - for crying out loud - it is a computer gizmo that you can touch, he was like Moses coming down from the mountain with the sacred tablets LOL

You'd almost think it was a new iPad! :-)

Seriously, we'll now discover whether the world really wants to carry around a tablet computer that isn't a fashion object. I suspect it doesn't.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: Will DAW computers change drastically when Windows 8 is released? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #994617 - 25/06/12 11:39 AM
EW - About sums it up.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

robinv

Re: Will DAW computers change drastically when Windows 8 is released? new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #994625 - 25/06/12 12:27 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

EW - About sums it up.

Bullmer is a liability though - they've really got to put him in a cupboard somewhere and find someone who's not the american you pray you don't end up sitting next to on a plane.

--------------------

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#994637 - 25/06/12 01:53 PM
Hahaha... yeah, kinda get that. It's amazing he's been there a few years now and nobodys really noticed apart from when he gets a bit shouty and puts his foot in it.

In a futher attempt to lighten/derail the thread I'm just going to leave this here courtesy of ERB.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

OneWorld

#994644 - 25/06/12 02:43 PM
Quote robinv:

Quote Pete Kaine:

EW - About sums it up.

Bullmer is a liability though - they've really got to put him in a cupboard somewhere and find someone who's not the american you pray you don't end up sitting next to on a plane.

Yep +1

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #994647 - 25/06/12 02:49 PM
Can I get that with subtitles Pete?

Dave.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: Will DAW computers change drastically when Windows 8 is released? new [Re: ef37a]
      #994659 - 25/06/12 03:04 PM
It's showing subtitles on mine! :-/

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *
Thread views: 20295

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media