Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Jack's Joy

Speaker Cable to TRS Jack on Wall Plate new
      #994733 - 26/06/12 01:10 AM
Can I hook up speaker cable to a TRS jack for a wallplate?

I bought 20 feet of Mogami speaker cable (#3082, 15AWG). I couldn't find any wall connectors that have a TS locking connector, so I ordered a double wallplate with TRS connectors from Redco(http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=473). I have two sets of wire so that I will run one set to one jack and the other set to another jack (on each end).

Can I attach my Mogami speaker cable to it? I assume I would only use the tip and sleeve connectors (tip for the speaker wire and sleeve for the ground) and leave the ring open. Will this work? Or, should I order a different wallplate? Thanks!

--------------------
www.reverbnation.com/jacksjoy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: Speaker Cable to TRS Jack on Wall Plate new [Re: Jack's Joy]
      #994742 - 26/06/12 05:08 AM
Yes, basically just wire hot to tip "earth" to sleeve and leave the ring o/c.

Can I assume that this is going to carry the output of a guitar amp? If so and the amp has a valve op stage I would wire the remote jack as a short. Then if some clot fires up the amp forgetting to check that there is a speaker plugged in tother end, little immediate damage will be done...DON'T do this however if it is a transistorized amp!

Some will say it would be "safer" for other equipment to use other than jack. Speakons for example. My choice would be 4 pin XLR.

Dave.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #994750 - 26/06/12 07:08 AM
Neutron do latching trs chassis sockets, but to avoid accidents from plugging line sources into a power amp output I would strongly recommend using speakon connectors which are inherently latching. There is even a two pole version with centre ts socket for compatibility if that is important.

Make sure the two wires only connect the two sockets (in control room and studio) and don't connect to ground anywhere!
Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #994762 - 26/06/12 08:46 AM
Jacks are technically the worst connectors you're going to find. A well-designed connector should have hardware which holds it together so that the electrical connectors are unstressed. In a jack socket though, it's the electrical connectors which physically hold the plug in. Bad design, but that's the best they could do back in the day, and it's too late now to use anything else for guitars.

For speakers though, Speakons are the way to go, and all "serious" speakers use them instead of TS jacks. If you're making up anything which you want to last for a long time, go Speakon.

Exalted Wombat

Re: Speaker Cable to TRS Jack on Wall Plate [Re: grab]
      #994804 - 26/06/12 11:20 AM
Quote grab:

Jacks are technically the worst connectors you're going to find. A well-designed connector should have hardware which holds it together so that the electrical connectors are unstressed. In a jack socket though, it's the electrical connectors which physically hold the plug in. Bad design, but that's the best they could do back in the day, and it's too late now to use anything else for guitars.

A strange criticism. There has to be some tightness between the electrical contacts, what matter if the same tightness holds things together? And if a guitar cable gets yanked would you rather it pulled out of the amplifier socket or brought the whole stack to the floor?

Looking for "technically worst" don't forget the old DIN speaker plugs :-) Or screw terminal speaker outputs without a barrier to block "whiskers" from shorting out. Or the plug-in effects box on the old H&H amps, with all that voltage on a DIN connector. Or anything Belkin, that broke if you looked at it.

But, yes, use Speakon. People tend to plug things into sockets that look "right". Jacks arent "right" for speakers, but they are for other equipment that could be harmed by a speaker output.

How COULD anyone think a microphone went into the speaker output of a H&H MA100? Ever lent a small PA to a jazz band? I have :-(

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Speaker Cable to TRS Jack on Wall Plate new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #994812 - 26/06/12 12:01 PM
The tightness required to give a secure electrical connection is not the same tightness as required to hold the weight of a connector and a couple of yards of 4sqmm 2-core cable. Just by itself that'd be bad enough, but a jack cable compounds by making the sleeve connection a fulcrum to provide an inch or so of leverage to the tip connection. Hence the joy of regularly having to lever the tip connection back out again on a guitar jack.

Sure, DINs weren't any damn good either, but even they didn't have the leverage problem that jacks do.

And my experience is that if you trip over a guitar cable, it'll pull the whole rack onto the floor *and* then come out of the socket as well. Maybe I'm just lucky that way.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2798

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media