Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
infiniteloop

Loc: 3rd rock from the sun
Keyboard Stand new
      #994215 - 22/06/12 03:37 PM
I'm looking to buy a new keyboard stand & was considering an Apex Ultimate AX-90, these are still available to buy and look just the job but after checking their web site I see they have been discontinued, though it doesn't say why. Does anyone know why as I'm still interested in buying one but now concerned there may be an issue with them..?!?

Other recommendations would be appreciated, the stand has to hold a Yamaha Motif XS7 & a Roland Juno Stage.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Stage73

Loc: Hamburg
Re: Keyboard Stand new [Re: infiniteloop]
      #994351 - 23/06/12 03:39 PM
i would checkout K&M spider as pedals fit underneath, which is cool. Otherwise buy a fender rhodes (flat top mk2)

--------------------
Music Chromelegs
Gear Rhodes | Cp70 | Nord Electro

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #994748 - 26/06/12 06:47 AM
Blimey - lots of about turns in Ultimate land. First the new Apex series is discontinued, and now the V-stand is on it's way back. Very strange..

I've had an Apex for ... oohh ... must be getting on close to 20 years now. The 'no room for pedals' thing drives me nuts. And if your top keyboard is anything like a decent depth front to back, and your lower one is normal sized, the top obscures the lower keyboard unless you have a huge gap. That was ok when my rig was a Wavestation above a JD800 (ahh .. the good old days), but now (with two Kurzweils) it's frankly a pain. Plus, I like a nice high position to play in. The old Apex design just doesn't float my boat.

I recently got the QuikLok V stand for a single tier stand that collapsed small and it seems ok (although it's supplied 'gig bag' is paper thin!). I'm looking at getting the arms for a second tier to see how that goes, but I am dubious as my boards are both quite heavy. Still, worth a punt to see what it's like.

The K&M mentioned above looks quite funky, but I'd worry about the visibility issues again..

TBH, I'm looking out for a dual braced, two tier standard X stand for when I next gig two keys again. It's the most stable, relatively compact, and I've known people tour them to hell and they still keep going. I have a monster 'extra heavy and tall' version and it's converted me back to the fold.

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

MarkOne

Loc: Bristol, England, Earth, Perus...
      #994792 - 26/06/12 10:34 AM
I'm really glad the V Stand is making a comeback. I got one 2nd hand on Ebay and it's great because it packs down so small and is built like a tank. I wanted a 2nd tier to use occasionally, but nothing has come up on the bay recently.

--------------------
New album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!
Making of Fantasy Bridge Diary

infiniteloop

#994825 - 26/06/12 01:32 PM
Currently I'm using a double-braced X stand with sloping extension arms similar to this:

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/quik-lok-qlx-22-x-frame-keyboard-sta nd-with-second-tier--12045

The issue of pedal space is critical for me as I have 2 sustain pedals & a volume pedal, so in that regard the Spider Pro looks the biz. I'm not familiar with the Quiklok V stand at all..do you have any links I could check it out.? Couldn't see much online except for Quiklok Z range.?

The stand I currently use drives me insane..my Juno Stage when sitting on the extension arms does not sit level, it sits at a slight downward right angle even though the arms are set exactly the same..!

infiniteloop

Re: Keyboard Stand [Re: infiniteloop]
      #994827 - 26/06/12 01:35 PM
Just found the Quiklok Z range this looks ideal if maybe a tad clumsy & time consuming to set up/tear down:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=99&sName=Z -726L

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #994843 - 26/06/12 03:14 PM
quiklok version of the v-stand (the one that I have) is at :

http://www.dv247.com/keyboards-and-midi/quik-lok-qly-40-keyboard-stand--84 408

I'm thinking of getting the QLX-3 second arm pair. If you scout around, you can get this cheaper. But if the Z stand floats your boat then go for it! Me, I'd be worried about transportation and set up time. Oh and it being too low for me!

I _think_ that the one you have is what I am considering. But not for a while atm.

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2384

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media