Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Fantashable

Loc: Rural South Devon, UK.
Studer A807 Lubrication? new
      #995022 - 27/06/12 03:40 PM
HR has mentioned in the past about applying a little light machine oil to some mechanical parts of Tape Machines.
Furthermore, my Studer operators handbook specifically mentions the word 'grease'.

I am presuming here that light machine oil and grease are not the same. So which type of 'grease' is correct here?

Hope Hugh or another Studer owner may shed light on this for me, please.

Mike.

--------------------
Cubase 6.5; Windows 7 Premium 64bit; Motu 828mk2; UADe; Liquid Mix. ASUS mainboard 16 Gig Ram; AMD3 Core 6 @ 3200 X 6

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Studer A807 Lubrication? new [Re: Fantashable]
      #995132 - 28/06/12 09:44 AM
No, they are very different things and intended for very different applications.

What makes you think the machine is in need of grease?

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Fantashable

Re: Studer A807 Lubrication? [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #995316 - 29/06/12 09:00 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

What makes you think the machine is in need of grease?

hugh

Hello Hugh, thank you for your response.

The operators manual mentions grease ambiguously at least once. Your query, however, prompts me to rethink and review this notion.

Light machine oil: sewing machine lubricant? or is that likely to be too light?

With Thanks,

Mike.

--------------------
Cubase 6.5; Windows 7 Premium 64bit; Motu 828mk2; UADe; Liquid Mix. ASUS mainboard 16 Gig Ram; AMD3 Core 6 @ 3200 X 6

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #995864 - 03/07/12 06:14 AM
I serviced domestic tape machines for 20 years and never had to lubricate them in any way. Indeed, very often my task was to DE-GREASE a machine that a customer had treated to the ubiquitous 3in1!

When you think of all the motors in all domestic electricals, hair dryers,MW ovens,cooling fans, fan heaters plus all the motorized kit in cars, these are lubricated "for life" and that means decades.

What fans especially DO need is a periodic clean up.

Dave.

Fantashable

Re: Studer A807 Lubrication? new [Re: ef37a]
      #996070 - 04/07/12 08:25 AM
Quote ef37a:

I serviced domestic tape machines for 20 years and never had to lubricate them in any way. Indeed, very often my task was to DE-GREASE a machine that a customer had treated to the ubiquitous 3in1!

Thanks for your post.

However, I expect you know, that except perhaps those from Revox (B77HS) and similar high-end hifi products, most domestic tape machines have little in common with professional recorders/reproducers - which are built to reliably withstand the rigours of the working day in busy facilities, with a price tag to match!

With that in mind, I'm keen to learn which lubricant is appropriate for my Studer machine.

SOS Technical Editor

#996090 - 04/07/12 10:25 AM
Quote Fantashable:

With that in mind, I'm keen to learn which lubricant is appropriate for my Studer machine.

As I said, it depends what you are trying to lubricate and why you feel the need. Using the wrong form of lubricant will knacker the motor completely, and if you over-do it you'll get oily leaks making a mess of everything and potentially upsetting the electronics.

The capstan motors of all Studer machines use a sintered bearing which is saturated with lubricant using a vacuum process during manufacture. This is intended to last the entire life of the motor and can not be replaced 'in the field'. Indication of needing re-lubrication includes significantly degraded wow and flutter, failure to maintain steady speed, or siezing up!

Studer's general policy was to return the faulty motor to the factory for refurbishment and install a new replacement, but I have seen service reports that suggest in-field re-oiling is possible for temporary work-arounds. the motors do have a finite life, though, and sooner or later it will need to be replaced.

Most Studer motors have a label on them to say what lubricant is used. The earlier motor designs used a synthetic ester-oil -- Isoflex PDP65 synthetic oil -- re-oiling can be achieved by applying a few drops -- and only a few drops -- to the felt ring around the top of the capstan motor shaft (under a plastic cap).

The later 'liquid grease' versions should have a red label on the bottom. I'm pretty sure the A807 uses the later generation of motors which are lubricated with liquid grease in the form of Constant GLY2100. Getting at the capstan motor in an A807 requires removal of the headblock, after which you can remove the plastic dust cap at the top of the motor and apply a few drops of the appropriate liquid grease. Again, don't over do it!

hugh

--------------------

Fantashable

Re: Studer A807 Lubrication? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #996126 - 04/07/12 02:03 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote Fantashable:

As I said, it depends what you are trying to lubricate and why you feel the need.

hugh

If moving parts in the machine do not require oiling, then all well and good; I'd rather not apply lubricant and instead be guided by your advice.

I have tried to find the entry in my Service Manual which mentions lubrication. As luck would have it I can't find it now !!

However, I have found the part(s) listing for the two different types of Capstan bearing lubricants in the Operators manual. But I'm reluctant to go that route unless I must.

Furthermore, I have a document on my PC (transcribed from your own article in SOS May 1997) from which I quote ...

"Mechanical maintenance of the machine is normally restricted to turning fixed guides, lubricating bearings and linkages,
The mechanical bearings and linkages within a tape machine should be lubricated occasionally, ideally with a light machine oil but, once again, make sure you use the oil sparingly -- a drop will go a very long way"

Brings me back to my question: which light machine oil?

I am still a little uncertain as to oil or not.

With thanks,

Mike.

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

#996162 - 04/07/12 03:33 PM
Quote Fantashable:

Brings me back to my question: which light machine oil?

The same one they used when they made the machine, or the one the manufacturer recommends!

In general, something like sewing machine oil. NOT 3-in-1 please!

I must admit I've not oiled either of my machines and I don't feel a burning need to do so at the moment.

Hugh

--------------------

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #996208 - 04/07/12 08:48 PM
Quote Fantashable:

Quote ef37a:

Thanks for your post.

However, I expect you know, that except perhaps those from Revox (B77HS) and similar high-end hifi products, most domestic tape machines have little in common with professional recorders/reproducers - which are built to reliably withstand the rigours of the working day in busy facilities, with a price tag to match!

Well, wheels is wheels mate! Then, the higher up the mechanicals food chain you go the less servicing things tend to need. 75k between some Merc' services? I serviced a couple of Ferrographs that were used for editing on a daily basis, Wright and Wear deck (LOVED them Hugh?)but almost always just electronic (valve) problems. Of course "lubricated for life" depends upon the life! The shaded pole motors in autochangers in shoe factories (played records into PA) were in such **** surroundings that they seized about every 3 years. Total strip down and soak over night in meths, dry then soak in (yep!) 3in 1 and good for another 3 or 4. Hoover vacs needed the bearings repacking every ten years or so. Had a special tool that forced in new grease and forced out the old grit and crap. Will a Dyson LAST ten years????
Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3405

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media