Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Johnsy

The future of CPU cooling? new
      #995325 - 29/06/12 09:24 AM

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cooling/41489-spinning-sandia-cpu-cooler-30-tim es-efficient/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: The future of CPU cooling? new [Re: Johnsy]
      #995329 - 29/06/12 09:31 AM
It's cropped a few times now that one over the last few years... we're still waiting. My worry is that it'll go the way of the magnetic liquid metal cooler we saw a few years back that was completely passive, cooled twice as well as all the current models and cost 4 times as much!

Also of note cooling wise last week on Hexus:
http://hexus.net/tech/news/cooling/41481-test-noctua-fan-featuring-rotosub -noise-cancellation/

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Johnsy

Re: The future of CPU cooling? new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #995333 - 29/06/12 09:41 AM
Quote Pete Kaine:

It's cropped a few times now that one over the last few years...

Where?

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#995409 - 29/06/12 03:07 PM
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:54Kjo2AgR9wJ:prod.sandia.go v/techlib/access-control.cgi/2010/100258.pdf+&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADG EEShQocgIP9ZNnO9GqR4Vy2ZidRXwXinf4bg5dk-ATcbaYwr53ElTFRHbm68_PXkNIRqGhExX47BfGLUiPFGSR-Sio jxU-ix2eyCDUVNdRGLr_Bn8Pz4ZuyjskqHozkg0VQN_r-iT&sig=AHIEtbTYAVA-ckxUnzuxEwT88t-gWdbKbA &pli=1

The inital white paper was doing the rounds start of 2010 (as you can see on the date stamp) and it was one of the Intel channel techs that brought it up when we were looking into some crazy server cooling for a corporate client back then. I was under the impression that it had been circulated more widely than that before this point althrough now I look around perhaps not.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

robinv

#995418 - 29/06/12 03:37 PM
In the early days of carillon we did look into noise cancellation - being like audio buffs and everything we figured we could place a microphone inside somewhere, invert the phase and blast it back out through a speaker - job done. It was all just a bit too much fiddling and the most likely thing to wrong in any given system

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
Re: The future of CPU cooling? [Re: Johnsy]
      #995442 - 29/06/12 08:09 PM
I remember this from some time back too. I was impressed with the level of detail in the original paper. What I particularly like is the way they took known physics and just tweaked things a little.

I'm sure this will take time to develop, and probably some serious funding, but the first prototype looked very promising. I expect the real market will be in large air-con units rather than piddly little computer coolers

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #995474 - 30/06/12 08:37 AM
The news seems to be all over the web at the moment, with people gushing about how it will replace every heatsink and save the planet. According to this, "the team has come up with an updated prototype that is nearly ready to come to market."

http://pcper.com/news/Cases-and-Cooling/Sandia-Shows-Prototype-Its-Impelle r-Cooler

Quote Folderol:

I expect the real market will be in large air-con units rather than piddly little computer coolers

No way am I sitting a thousandth of an inch away from my aircon unit. Damn thing's noisy enough as it is.

Will_m

#995572 - 30/06/12 10:05 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

My worry is that it'll go the way of the magnetic liquid metal cooler we saw a few years back that was completely passive, cooled twice as well as all the current models and cost 4 times as much!

Are you referring to the Nofan CR-95 coolers pete? I've heard really good things about them, even seen a guy who used one to cool a completely passive quad i7 system which after 30 mins of prime still didn't go over 80 degrees. The price seems to have come down a bit but they're still about £80.

--------------------
http://www.williammorrismusic.com

Dishpan

Re: The future of CPU cooling? new [Re: Will_m]
      #995681 - 01/07/12 10:11 PM
I'd like to know which one too because the Danamics ones I tested were utter garbage despite the hype!

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: The future of CPU cooling? new [Re: robinv]
      #995703 - 02/07/12 08:58 AM
Quote robinv:

In the early days of carillon we did look into noise cancellation - being like audio buffs and everything we figured we could place a microphone inside somewhere, invert the phase and blast it back out through a speaker - job done. It was all just a bit too much fiddling and the most likely thing to wrong in any given system

I love the concept and I quite clearly see why it was likely to go very, very wrong. Kudos for giving it a pop through, that would have been a fun few days!

Quote Will_m:

Are you referring to the Nofan CR-95 coolers pete? I've heard really good things about them, even seen a guy who used one to cool a completely passive quad i7 system which after 30 mins of prime still didn't go over 80 degrees. The price seems to have come down a bit but they're still about £80.

Nah, I quite like those even if I get the urge to sit a hamster in it. It'll do up to 95w TDP which allows you a low end i7, althrough I tend to use a low power (S edition) version of the CPU to keep thermals as low as I can.

Quote Dishpan:

I'd like to know which one too because the Danamics ones I tested were utter garbage despite the hype!

It was the original release of those I was refering too (or at least the hype it seems). You got further than I did mind, as I saw the supposed scores, got quite interested in the product and then they came to market at about £180ish I stopped bothering trying to obtain a sample. I see the baby version is available now for around £80 with fan option... think I'll stick with the CR-95.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 3924

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media