Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
xchn

The iMac has landed!!.. now which DAW?...
      #996059 - 04/07/12 06:15 AM
hey all, i finally got my very 1st computer! - a 2009 24" imac 2.66GHz with 4GB RAM and HD ramped upto 640GB running OSX 10.7.4 (Lion).. now for the soundcard/daw..

i don't know a lot about computers as i'm an old analogue synth muso but have done a bit of research into audio interfaces/daws and have basically whittled my choices down to either the roland quad-capture or native instruments ka6 but the roland comes bundled with sonar which isn't mac-compatible.. have heard of people doing windows/bootcamp thing but not sure if i want to go that route.. NI has cubase which would be good for me but have heard of some users having trouble with latency or otherwise.. perhaps i should forget about the bundle and just get logicpro..

is there anyone out there using the roland or ka6 that can ffer feedback or even just suggestions for my set-up?.. thanx

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
Re: The iMac has landed!!.. now which DAW?... new [Re: xchn]
      #996067 - 04/07/12 07:35 AM
It depends on lots of things, but let's try and sort this through :

1. I would shy away from the Roland - their units are ok, but you could probably do better and software-wise it's no good for you
2. The KA6 is appealing as it has the latest Cubase LE. Can't be bad
3. But what are you going to be using the interface for?? Mic'ing things? just line inputs for synths? how many channels at a time?
4. What's your budget? I know it's 'as little as possible' but realistically what are you talking about?
5. I'm a Cubase to Logic convert - I love it to bits. But do you need all that power? How about looking at 'Reaper' ? It's quite cheap and if you just need audio and a bit of midi it's pretty darned good
6. I have a preference for Focusrite so I'd recommend looking at some of their range. Their support is pretty good - which is rare these days.

Finally, have you had a play with Garageband yet? It's incredibly fun to use and there is a free plugin somewhere which lets you use midi if you need to run stuff that way. It's on your Mac already and is a great introduction to DAWs - basic, but usable..

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Bossman

Loc: UK
Re: The iMac has landed!!.. now which DAW?... new [Re: Dave B]
      #996068 - 04/07/12 08:14 AM
Quote Dave B:

...have you had a play with Garageband yet?... ...It's on your Mac already...

It might not be on your Mac if you didn't buy the iMac new. If the operating system has been re-installed from scratch (clean install), then the iLife Apps, including Garageband, won't be there. If the OS was upgraded, rather than a clean install, then they should still be there.

If its not on your mac, you can buy Garageband for £10.49 from the Appstore

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

s_e_a_n

Loc: Kerry
Re: The iMac has landed!!.. now which DAW?... new [Re: Bossman]
      #996176 - 04/07/12 05:21 PM
Quote Bossman:

Quote Dave B:

...have you had a play with Garageband yet?... ...It's on your Mac already...

It might not be on your Mac if you didn't buy the iMac new. If the operating system has been re-installed from scratch (clean install), then the iLife Apps, including Garageband, won't be there. If the OS was upgraded, rather than a clean install, then they should still be there.

If its not on your mac, you can buy Garageband for £10.49 from the Appstore

And it would be daft not to at least try GarageBand as your first DAW - it's not as basic as some people seem to think and I often use it instead of Digital Performer or Logic both of which I have and use. Sometimes you don't need all those features.

I'd also recommend a second hand motu 828 mk2 if you can get one as they will stretch to most needs and have a lovely clean sound.

--------------------
iMac 27", DP 7.2, Melodyne CRE8, Motu 828mk2

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2923

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media