Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
_ Six _

Do I need a patchbay? new
      #996044 - 03/07/12 11:17 PM
I've got a few pieces of hardware outboard that I'd like to use for tracking and mixing. My soundcard is the Focusrite 26 i/o with an SSL Alpha connected via SPIDIF.

I've got a TC Electronic digital multi effects, a Graphic EQ, a Bass Amp Sim with effects and the EQ section of the SLL I'd like to use in the mix.

Would I be better using a patch bay or wiring everything up to the sound card? I'm using Logic Pro 8.

Cheers

Six

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Do I need a patchbay? new [Re: _ Six _]
      #996057 - 04/07/12 06:02 AM
A patchbay is always worthy of consideration as soon as you have a few pieces of gear and a few options for how it plugs together. Being able to change allocations and chain order is not only quick and efficient, it is also less restrictive and more creative.

I have written entire songs based on the results of sounds created by strange patch bay configurations!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #996060 - 04/07/12 06:38 AM
Six, is all that kit balanced in and out? (can't be A'ed to pull ALL the manuals!)

If not do consider making it all so. You can impedance balance outputs but you will need transformers or active boxes (Orchid Electronics? OEP?) for inputs.

Trying to integrate balanced and unbalanced kit in a patchbay is a nightmare I can tell you.

Dave.

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
Re: Do I need a patchbay? [Re: _ Six _]
      #996079 - 04/07/12 09:22 AM
It's all down to how often you have to replug stuff. If it's once every six months or more then you don't need a patchbay. Any more frequently than that and I would say get one. After all the Neutrik NYS-SPP-L1, which is well made and straightforward to use, is only 40-50 quid. Not very much for the convenience.

CC

--------------------
Remember: Tidy wires are happy wires!
Mr Punch's Studio

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #996091 - 04/07/12 10:30 AM
Patch bays can be useful, but they are also a weak-link in the audio chain with the potential to introduce distortions, drop-outs and so on.

With the larger computer interfaces it is often possible to connected everything permanently to seperate line inputs and outputs, and then do all the patching by setting up the appropriate routing within the DAW.

However, the down side of this approach is the added latency of going through additional conversion processes if you want to chain different outboard together.

Whether that's relevant to your situation only you can decide.

If you do go down the patchbay route, I would also recommend the neutrik patchbay unit.

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #996158 - 04/07/12 03:15 PM
...and I'd recommend the Samson S-Patch. Mine have been 100% reliable and I find the front panel per-channel normalisation switches useful.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Jack Ruston

#996168 - 04/07/12 03:53 PM
Well, it's a tricky one. The advantages are that once you've done it, it's a convenient way to quickly patch stuff, and can sometimes enhance functionality. The disadvantages are that it's expensive to do properly, it needs to be done properly because otherwise you risk the sort of reliability and fidelity problems that Hugh mentioned and if you're trying to stay portable it can add a lot of weight to the rack.

Personally I repatch stuff almost every day, and I don't have patchbays at all. I prefer to be able to connect stuff directly.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

Jimi's Music

Loc: Greendale Wisconsin
      #996246 - 05/07/12 03:41 AM
The studio I work at could not function without a patchbay.
people bring in different gear, plus we have so many combinations
it is a must.
AT home I have a setup with Rossetta 800, Avalon 737. Two Twin Finities going into DBX160's, Daking Mach 4 into DBX 1046 and 2 DBX 386
For this setup I just leave it wired to a snake to my tracking room. Rarely do I change things.

So it is really up tow often you need to change your setup. Some people get one because they think they need one but you will know after working with your setup a while.

Good Luck

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3252

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media