Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
MonkeySpank

Loc: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Help: I need a replacement speaker for my 5.1 subwoofer new
      #995644 - 01/07/12 03:41 PM
Hi all

My active subwoofer speaker is blown (I presume - it makes a really loud clacking noise during deep rumble). So I need a replacement. The old speaker is rated 150 Watts @ 4 Ohms and is the original from the manufacturer.

I need to source a replacement, but this time I want one that can sustain the abuse that killed the original speaker in the first place (the battle scene at the end of Pirates Of The Caribbean III as it happens). I listen to my movies pretty loud.

So I need suggestions please!

The original is a 5.5" (14cm) cone in a 6.75" (17cm) basket. Printed on the magnet is "Eastech FSB52A565-6400 4 Ohm 150 Watt".

TIA.

--------------------
Spanky

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Help: I need a replacement speaker for my 5.1 subwoofer new [Re: MonkeySpank]
      #995652 - 01/07/12 04:56 PM
Eastech is a Chinese/Taiwanese company. 5.5 inches is pretty small for a subwoofer, especially one that has to cope with full level explostions all the time. If you like to listen to your films loud I'm not surprised you've killed it. Not sure you'll find anything much more robust at that size either.

Most decent home theatre amplifiers/controllers have an adjustable limiter in the bass management system to control the maximum subwoofer cone excursion. Would be a good thing to switch on!

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

MonkeySpank

Re: Help: I need a replacement speaker for my 5.1 subwoofer new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #995656 - 01/07/12 06:07 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Eastech is a Chinese/Taiwanese company. 5.5 inches is pretty small for a subwoofer, especially one that has to cope with full level explostions all the time. If you like to listen to your films loud I'm not surprised you've killed it. Not sure you'll find anything much more robust at that size either.

Most decent home theatre amplifiers/controllers have an adjustable limiter in the bass management system to control the maximum subwoofer cone excursion. Would be a good thing to switch on!

hugh

It is an old-ish Philips 6.1 system with wireless rear speakers.

The tech specs on that eBay page say 6.5" woofer (which it is, screw-hole to screw-hole...I always thought you measured speakers from the outsides of the rubber surround).

The whole system sounds bloody amazing to be honest, and looks great too. It has no woofer protection options, just a few EQ curves and a Bass & Treble control. All the amplifier and wi-fi circuitry is contained in the subwoofer enclosure.

Where do people buy replacement speakers? And how can I tell a good one from a bad one?

--------------------
Spanky

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Help: I need a replacement speaker for my 5.1 subwoofer new [Re: MonkeySpank]
      #995659 - 01/07/12 06:55 PM
Quote MonkeySpank:

The tech specs on that eBay page say 6.5" woofer.

Still not very big for something that you're expecting to generate 90dB SPLs!

Quote:

Where do people buy replacement speakers?

Wimslow Audio have a very good range and are pretty helpful. You could also try Electromarket

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

MonkeySpank

#995666 - 01/07/12 08:33 PM
Thanks Hugh. I'll start searching. I didn't realise a 6.5" 150 W driver would be a rare thing.

--------------------
Spanky

MonkeySpank

#995669 - 01/07/12 09:04 PM
Is it okay to replace a 4 Ohm driver with an 8 Ohm? Would that result in a drop in subwoofer volume?

--------------------
Spanky

DonBelfastDJs

#995672 - 01/07/12 09:21 PM
If you ever look at an Amp's maximum power output - that's at 4 Ohms, which are more expensive speakers generally.

So a 600 Watt Amp, gives 400 at 8 Ohms, but 600 at 4 Ohms (total).

Then there's the power being drawn - bigger resistance means more current drawn, which could cause the amplifier to over-heat if it's not designed for it, which could cause damage and failure.

Best stick to what it's designed for.

What about car audio retailers? Components there might be cheaper? Not certain of quality, but if it's designed for boy racers in mobile discos it should be robust

MonkeySpank

Re: Help: I need a replacement speaker for my 5.1 subwoofer new [Re: DonBelfastDJs]
      #995676 - 01/07/12 09:45 PM
Quote DonBelfastDJs:

What about car audio retailers? Components there might be cheaper? Not certain of quality, but if it's designed for boy racers in mobile discos it should be robust

That's what I'm starting to think: those car speakers are rated for high wattage and are mostly 4 Ohm.

Also: are you from Belfast? It's kinda cool you only joined SOS forum today and your first post was a reply to me

--------------------
Spanky

DonBelfastDJs

#995678 - 01/07/12 09:58 PM
Aye, living in Belfast - didn't notice that you were til you pointed it out.

Mad coincidence

DonBelfastDJs

Re: Help: I need a replacement speaker for my 5.1 subwoofer [Re: MonkeySpank]
      #996322 - 05/07/12 12:40 PM
Well, did you take a trip to halfords?

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3992

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media