Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
axeman_ukl

room problems
      #996813 - 09/07/12 07:41 AM
i have an attic room with a slopped ceiling its 11.5 foot by 10.5 and 8.3 foot high at its highest point ,diagram included

room treatment questions

is a super chunk trap 600mm across its front surface going to be better than a 600mm wide trap 6" in thickness spanning the corner

there are three wall-ceiling areas in the section marked "B" that i was going to put bass traps on ,will to many bass traps kill the high end ?

is it better to plaster board the section marked "A" off in the diagram and fit a corner bass trap to make that side of the room more symmetrical ?

would it be better to remove the other alcove completely and fill it with riged insulation and put a fabric cover to seal it off and not have a corner trap ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Wiseau

Re: room problems new [Re: axeman_ukl]
      #996841 - 09/07/12 10:32 AM
How did you manage to draw on the screen like that?

--------------------
'You know it's a bad role when Nic Cage passes on it.'

axeman_ukl

Re: room problems new [Re: Wiseau]
      #996849 - 09/07/12 11:04 AM
Quote Wiseau:

How did you manage to draw on the screen like that?

wacom dawing tablet cte-640

can be found on ebay they dont go for much these days the bamboo range has replaced them

Helmutcrab

Loc: County Durham, UK
Re: room problems new [Re: axeman_ukl]
      #997016 - 10/07/12 02:08 PM
Hi Axeman,

I have a similar thread next to yours and am a relative novice with acoustics but i can have a crack at answering some of your questions to get the ball rolling and someone more knowledgable can then correct me if I've got it wrong.

A full length 6" deep corner trap should be more effective than a super chunk if you also use a 4" deep by 12" wide column behind it, but not touching it (i.e. cut a 4" 1200mm x 600mm slab in 2 -length ways, and put one on top of the other). The top panel may require a base support if using 45kg/m3 density.

I think if you are intending to use insulation slabs covered in fabric as bass traps then these act as broadband absorbers and will reduce the high end along with everything else, helping to reduce room problem frequencies. If you were to cover a lot of the rooms surface with absorption material it will greatly reduce reflections. In a small room i don't think it is possible to have too much bass trapping and if you really need some reflections i suppose you could use foil backed slabs facing the foil into the room. Don't do this at the mixing area of the room though as it is best to have a reflection free zone here. Remember that where ever you don't have absorption there will be reflections anyway though. It depends on how much absorption you intend to add and what your recording needs are (early reflections needed ?) and how comfortable you are mixing in a dead room (if you cover a lot of the room).

What is the room like - Have you identified problem frequency areas ? (the sos bass staircase can help here or software if your good with that)

Where in the room you are mixing ?

Does the roof slope from the right side wall (wall parallel with bottom of velux window) to the left (where joist is) ?

Cheers

Peter

--------------------
music for the downtrodden

Edited by Helmutcrab (10/07/12 02:12 PM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2064

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media