Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
edencane

Loc: /\delaide, /\ustralia
respond to articles via email new
      #996968 - 10/07/12 07:05 AM
Hi.

I want to respond to an article by email.
Specfically in the July Issue, the 'up to the wire' article by Craig Anderton.

I have a specific question about the routing between reason in rewire mode and its rewire host...
My question is:
If I use the default routing in Reason 6, everything will go through the SSL mixer and I get a stereo input into the rewire host.
However if I route/patch individual reason instruments to individual outputs to get them on individual (stereo) inputs into the rewire host, I cannot use the SSL mixer...
Is there a way around this.

I have asked this question on the Pheads forums but got no answer...

Could you pass this on to Craig Anderton or anyone else on your SOS team who is Reason savvy?

Thanks very much.
Best regards.
Luke Vanderfluit (Digital Subscriber)

Edited by Mike Stranks (10/07/12 01:17 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
Re: respond to articles via email new [Re: edencane]
      #997751 - 13/07/12 08:08 PM
ok - for a start, it's not an SSL mixer - I'm sure SSL would be very upset if you kept calling it an SSL mixer... it's a model!

So you need to think of record/reasons mixer as an additional "plug in" before the reason sound "hit's" rewire

i don't know if you can have multiple reason mixers before you hit rewire...i don't think you can

so - you're basic answer is no...you need to wire in reasons sound sources to the audio outs in reason, separately, so they can access your DAW outputs as individual ins

you'll have to forgo the reason SSL emulated mixer I'm afraid if you want to go down this route

alternatively - mix everything in the reason mixer, then have a stereo feed to your DAW

...you "could" use the aux sends on the mixer - post eq- to send up to 6 channels to corresponding audio outs into your DAW......this might be a help?

or - buy duende native for £200 for your DAW to get "real emulated" SSL sound into your mix!

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

molecular

Loc: The turn off where the main ro...
Re: respond to articles via email new [Re: edencane]
      #997771 - 13/07/12 11:44 PM
From the manual...

"The Mix Channel and Audio Track devices feature Direct Out connectors. By patching cables into these outputs, you break the internal signal chain from the device to the Master Section, and can route the channel output signals directly to the Reason Hardware Device’s outputs. This is a very nice feature if you want to use outboard mixing or summing - or if you’re using ReWire (see “ReWire”) to route individual channel signals to another application."

I've not actually tried this myself, I normally go straight from the instrument outputs to REWIRE, but it sounds like the direct outs (right hand side of mix channel in the rack) are post EQ/COMP etc. in the main mixer. So I reckon it's a yes.

H.

--------------------
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja
http://www.hectormacinnes.com

edencane

Loc: /\delaide, /\ustralia
Re: respond to articles via email new [Re: Wease]
      #997777 - 14/07/12 01:33 AM
Quote Wease:

ok - for a start, it's not an SSL mixer - I'm sure SSL would be very upset if you kept calling it an SSL mixer... it's a model!

So you need to think of record/reasons mixer as an additional "plug in" before the reason sound "hit's" rewire

i don't know if you can have multiple reason mixers before you hit rewire...i don't think you can

so - you're basic answer is no...you need to wire in reasons sound sources to the audio outs in reason, separately, so they can access your DAW outputs as individual ins

you'll have to forgo the reason SSL emulated mixer I'm afraid if you want to go down this route

alternatively - mix everything in the reason mixer, then have a stereo feed to your DAW

...you "could" use the aux sends on the mixer - post eq- to send up to 6 channels to corresponding audio outs into your DAW......this might be a help?

or - buy duende native for £200 for your DAW to get "real emulated" SSL sound into your mix!

Thanks for the suggestions, sends is a good'un... I also looked at duende... good to be aware of... and re: SSL mixer, I understand it can be confusing, but within the context of a reason post Im sure Ill be forgiven (-:

I had a listen to seaapes... I love the guitar work, fantastic stuff, the voice doesnt cut it though... you need to change singers! Who's the guitarist?

--------------------
http://edensongs.blogspot.com ... http://www.soundcloud.com/edencane

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
Re: respond to articles via email [Re: edencane]
      #997805 - 14/07/12 11:03 AM
I stand corrected by Molecule! - seems you can use the mixer as you want (I'm an old version of reason user - so I was going from the website!)
The sends idea will also work, but direct outs would be better
Yes - you can certainly be forgiven for calling the reason mixer "SSL" - but from what I've gathered, it's not quite as good as the Duende stuff....you can demo duende for free (4 weeks i think)...fully working, so you could decide for yourself what you think between the 2

As for the Sea -Apes - thanks for listening...the guitarist is Steve - he is rather good

The singer is Debs....she's infinitely more 'easy on the eye' than the rest of the band and writes the tunes (in conjunction with Steve)....we have a new EP that's due to be finished soon (next week) - with better (IMHO) recordings - maybe you can hold judgement on her singing till then??

(i quite like her voice - but then, if we all liked the same thing, the world would be a more boring place, no?)

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1493

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media