Main Forums >> Apps and Other Computers/OS
        Print Thread

Pages: 1

Loc: London
iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new
      #978110 - 25/03/12 08:47 PM
I'm the most rational, objective, cost-conscious, person there is when it comes to evaluating musical equipment and instruments for my little studio and for gigs, but I'm totally unable to make a decision as to whether I go for the new iPad3 or a Samsung Galaxy 7.7.
I'm a daily train commuter into London's West End so I thought a new tablet would cover most bases as I like to play music, read the papers, read pdf's (both for work and for music), read ebooks, store photo's, etc, etc, as I'm sitting on the train.
So I went to the Apple store in Covent Garden to have a look at the new iPad3 to see what all the fuss was about, and I have to say I was mightily impressed what the new tab can do. I can read pdf's and ebooks easily, can do all sorts of video and phot editing, I really like iTunes so I''m sorted on the music front, plus it's got tons of music apps so it would seem to be ideal for what I want to do.
However, the big turn-off for me was the sheer size of the iPad as I'm not keen on being seen with something that size and value out on the streets, and that you always need to have some sort of bag with you to put it in (I'll leave out my moral opinion of Apples business and manufacturing practices for now).
So next visit was up to John Lewis to have a look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7plus. This is a really neat and compact tablet that can do most of the things that the iPad can do but in the Android arena. It's far more practical (it takes microSD cards whereas the iPad doesn't) has a great screen, is small enough to put in a - largish - pocket, and generally seems to fit the bill that I have. But, I know that Samsung have just released the new 7.7 version that has a far better and bigger screen so decided not to purchase anything for the time being.
And this is where my dilema starts....
Reading through many website reviews of both machines it seems the general consensus is that the Galaxy is a good unit but ... just not quite as good as an iPad 2 or 3. The whole user experience of IOS or Android seems to be the big thing here with IOS winning on all fronts, and from a music point of view there's far more apps and functions available for the iPad than there are for the Galaxy. I don't know if I'd use a tablet for any sort of music produciton so I'm a bit unsure of whether this will be a decider either.
The price difference between the two is not huge (I'm only interested in WiFi), so it should be a simple decision, but something is drawing me to the Galaxy rather than the logical choice of the iPad.
Has anyone been in this position or have any clear guidance as to whether longer term a Galaxy or an iPad would be a better choice to reduce osolescence (thinking Betamax vs VHS here)?
Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
necromunger

Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new [Re: 6120]
      #978134 - 25/03/12 11:18 PM
i have a acer a500 tablet but i don't use my router for WiFi as i use a 24 port switch 2 network my computers and use one of these for a ap for WiFi.

thenaturallevel

#978161 - 26/03/12 09:26 AM
To throw in another choice - Samsung Galaxy Note. It might have a 5.3" screen but from what I have seen it sits nicely between a Smartphone & a Tablet. Also be discreet when out and about in London.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #978204 - 26/03/12 12:30 PM
As I understand it, Android still has some issues with low latency audio but they're working on it. So, once this issue is fixed, I would expect to see more audio software become available. I must admit that I wouldn't be happy to be forced to use iTunes all the time so personally I would go for Android.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

johnny h

Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new [Re: James Perrett]
      #978211 - 26/03/12 01:06 PM
Quote James Perrett:

As I understand it, Android still has some issues with low latency audio but they're working on it. So, once this issue is fixed, I would expect to see more audio software become available. I must admit that I wouldn't be happy to be forced to use iTunes all the time so personally I would go for Android.

James.

That makes very little sense. iTunes for all its detractors works fine on both macs and PCs. Android absolutely does NOT work with audio at low latency. Also its a very inelegant operating system which doesn't have the right 'feel' which is so important to using an tablet.

The iPad is currently the only choice in terms of value, performance, easy of use and quality of software.

Bazza

Loc: County Durham
      #978217 - 26/03/12 01:35 PM
If you buy anything Android based, you'll constantly feel the need to justify your purchase.

I'd buy an iPad 2 (which I bought at full price) as you can get a 16GB version for £289 from the refurb store.

*Ducks out of the way before al the android users come and justify their purchases

--------------------
This time next week, who'll give a sh*t
http://www.podcastrevision.co.uk

ezza

#978223 - 26/03/12 01:57 PM
If you're sure you're not going to use it for music apps then go for a Samsung. It sounds like the size of the pad is a big factor for you and you have tried the Samsung and liked it. The whole point of a pad is it's convenience for you and if you get something too big then it's not fit for purpose.

You aren't going to get any good sound generation apps (synths, samplers etc) on android but there are controller apps, utilities (like tuners), recorders, soundcloud etc etc.

I have an iPad. I would never take it out and about - it's far too big for my taste. My phone does everything I need. For music related apps it can't be beat though.

/e

Wimek

Loc: Holland
      #978250 - 26/03/12 04:00 PM
since your post is on SOS forum, I guess you're planning to make music on that tablet. I think you should first look into the availability of music app on both brands... That is unless you buy a tablet as a gadget...

I.m.h.o. the iPad wins hands down! Just have a look at my favorites:

Animoog
DXi
Fairlight
Garageband
DM1
iElectribe
iMS20
iKaossilator

Loc: London
      #978315 - 26/03/12 10:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and I suppose much of the decision making comes down to whether you buy into the Apple or Android view of the world. But I've gone for practicality and have ordered a Galaxy 7.7 from Panamoz.com. They do very good prices but most importantly have a 14 day return period so I can try the Galaxy for a few days to see how I get on with it. I'm not far from Apple in Covent Garden so I think I'll be doing a few trips to compare the functionality and will make a final decision in about ten days.

I can't believe how I've got taken over by the whole technology trap as I was quite happy listening to my cassete Walkman and reading a book or paper for the last God knows how many years on the train, but 'feel' I've now got to have the latest techy gadgets to make my life complete.
I suppose I'm deeply shallow...

ezza

#978331 - 27/03/12 07:28 AM
some handy android apps:
airdroid
soundcloud
tunein radio
viber
gstrings
skifta
kindle
astro
dropbox
flexT9
tapeMachine
adobe flash Player

The_Big_Piano_Player

Loc: Lincolnshire
Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new [Re: johnny h]
      #978354 - 27/03/12 09:05 AM
Quote johnny h:

Android absolutely does NOT work with audio at low latency. Also its a very inelegant operating system which doesn't have the right 'feel' which is so important to using an tablet.

I've used/developed for Android, and I wouldn't say the operating system is "inelegant", it pretty-much looks how the user makes it look. That can be aesthetically pleasing, or like a donkey's arse. The point being, the user has the choice.

I would probably go with an iPad, though... Android tablets don't have the kind of software support that the iPad has.

When it comes to phones, I'd go Android every time. (I have the galaxy note). I'm sure the iPhone 5 will raise the bar, but the 4S is starting to date.

--------------------
Touch & Go

johnny h

Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new [Re: The_Big_Piano_Player]
      #978385 - 27/03/12 10:46 AM
Quote The_Big_Piano_Player:

Quote johnny h:

Android absolutely does NOT work with audio at low latency. Also its a very inelegant operating system which doesn't have the right 'feel' which is so important to using an tablet.

I've used/developed for Android, and I wouldn't say the operating system is "inelegant", it pretty-much looks how the user makes it look. That can be aesthetically pleasing, or like a donkey's arse. The point being, the user has the choice.

Choice is a vastly overrated concept. Its better to have a very well designed piece of equipment in the first place than to have choice. Imagine how awful the roads would look if everyone had 'choice' over every single design element of a car.
Quote:

I would probably go with an iPad, though... Android tablets don't have the kind of software support that the iPad has.

When it comes to phones, I'd go Android every time. (I have the galaxy note). I'm sure the iPhone 5 will raise the bar, but the 4S is starting to date.

Really? Everyone I know who has an iPhone is incredibly happy with it in the long term. Android users always start out with the same spiel "oh its better and cheaper than an iPhone and has all these extra functions" ... then a few weeks later "I hate it, wish I'd got an iPhone".

johnny h

Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new [Re: ezza]
      #978386 - 27/03/12 10:48 AM
Quote ezza:

some handy android apps:
airdroid
soundcloud
tunein radio
viber
gstrings
skifta
kindle
astro
dropbox
flexT9
tapeMachine
adobe flash Player

That's a seriously underwhelming collection of apps. Going to the appstore must seem like stepping into the future.

ezza

#978427 - 27/03/12 12:19 PM
Quote johnny h:

Quote ezza:

some handy android apps:
airdroid
soundcloud
tunein radio
viber
gstrings
skifta
kindle
astro
dropbox
flexT9
tapeMachine
adobe flash Player

That's a seriously underwhelming collection of apps. Going to the appstore must seem like stepping into the future.

Unfortunately, as a user and fan of both systems, I am not in a position to argue with you about which is better

The_Big_Piano_Player

Loc: Lincolnshire
Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new [Re: ezza]
      #978438 - 27/03/12 12:44 PM
Yes, they both systems have their merits, but I'm often surprised by the near-fanatical devotion of some iPhone users. It's a just a smartphone after all.

Quote johnny h:

Really? Everyone I know who has an iPhone is incredibly happy with it in the long term. Android users always start out with the same spiel "oh its better and cheaper than an iPhone and has all these extra functions" ... then a few weeks later "I hate it, wish I'd got an iPhone".

Yes, really. There are thinner, faster phones than the iPhone 4s, with better cameras and better screens. Certainly as far as hardware goes, the iPhone is no longer the leader of the pack. I know hardware isn't everything, but it's damn important.

Like I said, I'm guessing the iPhone 5 may change all that... or Samsung will be rubbing their hands in glee. The consumer wins either way.

--------------------
Touch & Go

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
      #978440 - 27/03/12 12:53 PM
Quote johnny h:

johnny h

resident apple fanboy

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

johnny h

Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new [Re: ken long]
      #978471 - 27/03/12 02:20 PM
Quote ken long:

Quote johnny h:

johnny h

resident apple fanboy

I use a PC and I don't have an iphone.

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
      #978494 - 27/03/12 03:06 PM
a wannabe then?

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

johnny h

Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new [Re: ken long]
      #978537 - 27/03/12 04:59 PM
Quote ken long:

a wannabe then?

Yep

Dishpan

#981385 - 10/04/12 06:54 PM
> Android users always start out with the same spiel "oh its better and cheaper than an iPhone and has all these extra functions" ... then a few weeks later "I hate it, wish I'd got an iPhone".

I love your ignorant generalisations and dogma over every subject you encounter.

FWIW, two people I know changed to a Desire HD (from iPhone) when they saw mine. Not saying it's better or worse, just showing that you're wrong about "always".

anotherDutchy

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
      #989239 - 24/05/12 08:21 AM
I admit having searched for this thread so sorry for bumping.

As a developer by day (for both iOS and Android, amongst other technologies) I'd like to comment on this misconception : "android absolutely does NOT work with audio at low latency.".

Without getting into the programming technologies too deeply, there are applications with impressive performance, such as AudioTool's Sketch for the tablet market and MikroWave for phones.

The difference (and admittedly a big one) between the Android and iOS camp is that an iPhone 4S is an iPhone 4S and an iPad x an iPad x, whereas with Android devices the only shared link is the operating system, and the specs of the actual devices vary greatly. I'm not naming brands, but it's odd to consider that a tablet of brand x running the same system - and most of the same components - outperforms a tablet of another (even if it's only perceptually by the feel of just using the OS by navigating around). As with everything, you get what you pay for.

For me the bottleneck for the Android story is the differing policies between the Apple App Store and Google Play (previously Market). Where each application that goes into the App Store has to be reviewed by Apple (a process that takes 2 weeks, and this goes for individual updates too!) and there is a strict policy as to who uploads what, it seems that Google Play overflows with chaff from everybody and their sister who can submit an application about the biggest nonsense clogging up the categories a user might look in. For me, this seems like something Google needs to address to improve the quality assurance of the available software!

Anyways

johnny h

Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new [Re: Dishpan]
      #989274 - 24/05/12 11:15 AM
Quote Dishpan:

> Android users always start out with the same spiel "oh its better and cheaper than an iPhone and has all these extra functions" ... then a few weeks later "I hate it, wish I'd got an iPhone".

I love your ignorant generalisations and dogma over every subject you encounter.

FWIW, two people I know changed to a Desire HD (from iPhone) when they saw mine. Not saying it's better or worse, just showing that you're wrong about "always".

You missed out the part of my quote where I said I was referring to my personal experiences or "everyone I know". In the circles I run in th iPhone is the most common smartphone by a huge margin, followed by blackberry. The only people who feel the need to justify their phone of choice tend to be android users, although mostly they just say how much they hate the little niggles and lacklustre looks.

After reading the story of how google sat on the apple board all the way through the iPhone development and copied the whole thing I could never consider them as a choice. But I don't buy behringer products either.

Dishpan

#989830 - 27/05/12 08:26 AM
> But I don't buy behringer products either.

I buy whatever works for the task at hand. I have a Behringer headphone amp here that has performed flawlessly for years. I couldn't care less whether it's "cool" or someone on a forum had a bad experience with a company so had to denigrate every one of their products; I make my own mind up.

Exalted Wombat

Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new [Re: The_Big_Piano_Player]
      #989834 - 27/05/12 09:24 AM

Doesn't "inelegant" in regard to an operating system usually refer to the coding, whether it's logically designed or a load of kludges?

Though I suppose many users judge a system solely by how it looks!

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #989908 - 27/05/12 08:47 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Doesn't "inelegant" in regard to an operating system usually refer to the coding, whether it's logically designed or a load of kludges?

Though I suppose many users judge a system solely by how it looks!

Not necessarily. I've seen some coding that was so supremely 'elegant' that it was a nightmare to modify

However, I think people here are generally referring to the operating system as the whole shebang - including GUI

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

johnny h

#989970 - 28/05/12 09:48 AM
Quote Dishpan:

> But I don't buy behringer products either.

I buy whatever works for the task at hand. I have a Behringer headphone amp here that has performed flawlessly for years. I couldn't care less whether it's "cool" or someone on a forum had a bad experience with a company so had to denigrate every one of their products; I make my own mind up.

So the fact that they blatantly rip off and undercut the designers that innovated the original product doesn't bother you in the slightest? Do you feel the same way about fake clothes on eBay? Or buying pirated DVDs down the pub?

Will_m

Loc: Manchester
      #990272 - 29/05/12 06:25 PM
Quote johnny h:

Quote ken long:

Quote johnny h:

johnny h

resident apple fanboy

How do you live with yourself?

In all seriousness android has many different flavours and so will feel and look very different from phone to phone, for me the HTC sense UI works incredibly well. iOS looks nice too although too stripped down for my liking, both camps steal ideas from each other all the time so there is a lot of overlap in features, for example the notification bar in android was quickly copied by apple. I just use what work for me and clearly the OP went with something that was fit for their uses.

--------------------
http://www.williammorrismusic.com

johnny h

Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new [Re: Will_m]
      #990374 - 30/05/12 11:02 AM
Quote Will_m:

Quote johnny h:

Quote ken long:

Quote johnny h:

johnny h

resident apple fanboy

How do you live with yourself?

I like to make life difficult for myself!
Quote:

In all seriousness android has many different flavours and so will feel and look very different from phone to phone, for me the HTC sense UI works incredibly well. iOS looks nice too although too stripped down for my liking, both camps steal ideas from each other all the time so there is a lot of overlap in features, for example the notification bar in android was quickly copied by apple. I just use what work for me and clearly the OP went with something that was fit for their uses.

Well it's not fair to say they both copy each other as if it's a fair split. Android copied 99.9% of the iPhone concept. iOS copied a tiny little notification popup - hardly comparable....

But whatever you do, dont buy an android tablet for music use as its not fit for purpose in its present form. I would trust microsoft a lot more than google when it comes to designing a well functioning audio system.

Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
      #990549 - 31/05/12 06:28 AM
I have an Android phone and an iPad and I love them both. For making music, you must get an iPad unless you want to deny yourself all the best music making applications for some weird reason.

It's like asking the question, "what vehicle should I use to get to the south of France with three passengers, my car or my bicycle?" As much as I love my bike, and as much as I'd like to cycle to the south of France on it, I'd have to take the car.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

robegian

Loc: Trieste, Italy
      #997655 - 13/07/12 02:43 PM
At the moment, Android devices are not well suited for audio:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3434

iOS devices instead boast fast performances in audio and MIDI thanks (also) to well implemented CoreAudio and CoreMIDI layers.

Edited by robegian (13/07/12 02:45 PM)

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #997807 - 14/07/12 11:18 AM
I have an iPhone
my wife has a HTC

we both hate each others phones

yet both love each other dearly

life's a funny game

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

etai

Loc: West London
      #997808 - 14/07/12 11:42 AM
Quote Dishpan:

His quote was pretty much spot on. My girlfreind, her dad, at least 3 freind have said this. saying that, I'm going to buy an android phone next week (as its cheaper than an ipone...! )

Going back to the tablet market. I bought the ipad3. I would buy the ipad 2, either of them I would be happy with. saying that. i I was to buy a tablet with running android, it would be either the samsung galaxy or an asus model. If android apps were released such as electribe, animoog etc, I might have bought an android tablet, no questions asked. But that latency issue with android means its a no-no.

Also, you could have held out for the galaxy nexus £169 8gb/ £199 16gb, I've only mentioned this now as I just remembered. I'm going to buy one fro my girlfriend when it comes out (next week i think), so I can use it!

You already have bought the samsung now, let us know how you get on. It does look like a quality piece of kit.

johnny h

Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? new [Re: etai]
      #997812 - 14/07/12 12:12 PM
Quote etai:

Quote Dishpan:

His quote was pretty much spot on. My girlfreind, her dad, at least 3 freind have said this. saying that, I'm going to buy an android phone next week (as its cheaper than an ipone...! )

Going back to the tablet market. I bought the ipad3. I would buy the ipad 2, either of them I would be happy with. saying that. i I was to buy a tablet with running android, it would be either the samsung galaxy or an asus model. If android apps were released such as electribe, animoog etc, I might have bought an android tablet, no questions asked. But that latency issue with android means its a no-no.

Also, you could have held out for the galaxy nexus £169 8gb/ £199 16gb, I've only mentioned this now as I just remembered. I'm going to buy one fro my girlfriend when it comes out (next week i think), so I can use it!

You already have bought the samsung now, let us know how you get on. It does look like a quality piece of kit.

The thing about tablets is they are actually not very useful devices outside specialist apps and games. For email / browsing / general use they are very frustrating - mainly due to the lack of keyboard and lag between switching applications. Some of the music apps for the iPad are really good, as others have said. Technical issues, combined with a below zero-effort policy of controlling piracy mean these apps are not available for Android, and are unlikely to be developed in the near future.

I think its best not to get too emotional when you make such a purchase. You can argue all day about pcs/macs/android/iphones. If you have any interest in music, there is no alternative to the iPad right now. If you are really that rabidly anti-apple that you can't stomach this, I would recommend waiting to see if Microsoft can do a better job.

etai

Loc: West London
Re: iPad3 or Samsung Galaxy 7.7? [Re: johnny h]
      #997828 - 14/07/12 02:36 PM
I actually like the email side of things on the ipad. Also the build quality & how programs look on it. Android has that slightly 'jerky' feel to it. As if its struggling to cope with the graphics. As I said before, I would buy the google nexus if buying an android model. Its a lot cheaper. But to pay around £400 for a tablet, it has to be Apple in my opinion.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor, TESTER33,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 11246

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media