Main Forums >> User Reviews
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Paraic

Loc: Ireland
Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones new
      #995506 - 30/06/12 01:07 PM
Hi there

Has anyone used these headphones ? I have a set of HD 25s which I find great for tracking/live mixing but I want something a little better for studio mixing.

Any other headphones I should be looking at?

Regards
Paraic

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones new [Re: Paraic]
      #995508 - 30/06/12 01:11 PM
The Senny HD650s are very popular, but I would suggest also trying the AKG K701 /K702, and the Beyer DT990. All are open-backed. I'm sure others will have more recommendations, but these are the open-backed cans I would recommend. I personally prefer the AKGs, but would be quite happy to use any of them, and do have HD650s here as an alternative (in addition to various closed back headphones).

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #995574 - 30/06/12 10:19 PM
Hi Paraic!

I love my Sennheiser HD650's, and have mixed various albums with them

We've actually compared a lot of different studio headphones in this round-up, so have a read to find out more:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan10/articles/studioheadphones.htm

I also wrote a feature on how to get the best out of headphones for mixing purposes here if it's of any help:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec03/articles/mixingheadphones.htm

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#995578 - 30/06/12 10:40 PM
If you can stretch to them, the Shure open-backed phones (SRH1840) are lovely.

Paraic

Loc: Ireland
      #995586 - 30/06/12 11:54 PM
I think the hd650s paired with an SPL 2control might give me what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help

abby normal

Loc: washington, USA
      #995642 - 01/07/12 03:28 PM
one of these days i might be able to afford them. as it is, i am told that my HD580s are very similar but "colder" in the bass range. i couldn't imagine doing my audio restoration work with any other headphones than my senns.

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #997182 - 11/07/12 11:27 AM
At that sort of price the best do seem to be the Sennheiser HD 600 & HD 650 and the AKG K701 & K702.

At a higher price the new HD 700 are worth looking at, and the HD 800 (what I now use) are superb.

The HD 700 comes half way between the HD 650 and HD 800 in both price and quality IMHO.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones new [Re: John Willett]
      #997561 - 13/07/12 08:54 AM
Quote John Willett:

At that sort of price the best do seem to be the Sennheiser HD 600 & HD 650 and the AKG K701 & K702.

At a higher price the new HD 700 are worth looking at, and the HD 800 (what I now use) are superb.

The HD 700 comes half way between the HD 650 and HD 800 in both price and quality IMHO.

The new Shure ones Sam suggests above really do warrant a place on any list like this. They're stunningly good, even at the price. They're rather more pricey than the HD650s but much cheaper than the HD800s. I've always found my 650s to be great in the mid-range and HF detail, but slightly lacking in detail at the bottom end, sounding faintly wooly when working in some genres. Great for acoustic/jazz/classical styles, but very much second best to a couple of other models for rock/pop/electronica. Will be interested to try the HD700s to see if this aspect has been nailed any better.

[*no, I don't own them, but have done a 'shootout' between them and my own 650s, which I've also compared directly with the various AKG, Beyerdynamic, Ultrasone (ugh), Sony and other leading 'pro' headphones. And no, I don't own shares in Shure!]

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
Re: Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones [Re: Paraic]
      #999493 - 24/07/12 09:15 AM
I really love my HD650s. Got them a couple of months ago.
Prior to that I had a older cheaper model closed-back of Sennheisers, that were nice and accurate in their own way, but simply didn't have the bass...
so I was forever struggling a bit, having to compare them with the room sound from my monitors (Event TR8XL's)

Finally, with the HD650s, I have headphones that basically sound the same as the monitors! I was taking them on and off my head and could barely tell the difference! (well, I could tell a small difference, but it was easy to adjust too). This has saved my neighbours upstairs from much thumping bass through their floor!

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

PWannell

#1028715 - 15/01/13 01:35 PM
Quote John Willett:

I would definately agree that the HD700 and the HD800 are superb, however I think that the sound signature of the HD600/HD650 is somewhat different. Many are not keen on the latest Sennheiser High End headphones when coming from HD650's.

Your best bet might be the Beyerdynamic T1 or T90?

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
Re: Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones new [Re: PWannell]
      #1030607 - 26/01/13 08:11 PM
Quote PWannell:

Quote John Willett:

I would definately agree that the HD700 and the HD800 are superb, however I think that the sound signature of the HD600/HD650 is somewhat different. Many are not keen on the latest Sennheiser High End headphones when coming from HD650's.

Your best bet might be the Beyerdynamic T1 or T90?

Agreed that the 700 and 800 sound different - but when I moved to the 800 from the 600 and 650 I found that the 800 was so very much better I did not enjoy the 600 and 650 anymore.

In fact, when I first listened to the 800 - after listening to what I thought was a couple of hours, I found that 6 hours had gone by and it was 2:00 in the morning.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

table for two

#1038113 - 14/03/13 10:15 AM
Quote John Willett:

... when I moved to the 800 from the 600 and 650 I found that the 800 was so very much better I did not enjoy the 600 and 650 anymore.

I agree after listening to the 800, i couldn't return to 650.
800 to me was efforetless. 650 was trying oh so very hard in comparison, resulting in a boxy sound.
Considering the price difference this is to be expected, nevertheless i prefer a different sound to the 650 boxyness.

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
Re: Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1038373 - 15/03/13 03:38 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

The Senny HD650s are very popular, but I would suggest also trying the AKG K701 /K702, and the Beyer DT990. All are open-backed. I'm sure others will have more recommendations, but these are the open-backed cans I would recommend. I personally prefer the AKGs, but would be quite happy to use any of them, and do have HD650s here as an alternative (in addition to various closed back headphones).

hugh

Hugh - how would you characterize the differences between the Beyer DT 880 Pros and the 990s?

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

Mick C

Loc: Manchester, UK.
      #1040976 - 02/04/13 10:58 PM
I use the 650's and I'm very happy with them. Did an A-B test against KRK Rokit 5's and couldn't tell the difference. You can wear them for hours, very comfortable.
Mick

The Pablo Augustus

Loc: Humboldt
      #1043013 - 12/04/13 11:33 AM
I can't recommend the AKG 702s enough.

My "fat" mixes sounded flat and boring. Revealing flattering monitors in a small room
and other flattering open headphones such as the cheaper sennheiser HD 598, which I think makes a good match, neither are fatiguing and if they sound good on both cans chances are your mix is good.

The 598 is slightly flattering for sure, but puts a different spectrum of sound in focus, and they are both lightweight and easy to wear.

If you already having something like that and are looking for even response and clarify the 702s won't steer you wrong. Might be a little depressing at first, lol. Thats when I put the 598s on cheers me up add some more parts or eliminate some, fix the arrangement, then back to the 702s for critical mixing.

Good luck! Cheers,

-pabloAugustus

p.s. offering melodica chord progressions, solos, subtle interjections on a variety of all metal vintage honer melodicas collected thoughout the years, as well as steel pan work. Refundable of course. Recording through a Universal Audio LA610 cleanly into a fireface with both nice tube and solid state mics.

p.p.s Can we add our overdubbing work in our sigs on this forum? if not I'm sorry. I'll check rules and edit....

Jack Ruston

#1075207 - 19/11/13 02:03 PM
I've recently had both the 650's and the 800's on demo.

The 800's have clearly superior 'sound'...the midrange is really fantastic and the highs have that Sennheiser family sound...ie not super bright but not lacking detail. They're incredibly comfortable and feel like they're floating on your head. But the bottom end differs quite a lot from the 650's. The 650's have a more prominent, muscular sort of bass. They don't 'push' like closed backs often do, but they're quite a 'big' sounding pair of headphones in terms of low end. The 800's seem almost the other way....The sound of the bass is wonderful as with the mids and highs, but like the high end the bass seems more relaxed. It sits back. It doesn't sound at all thin or out of balance but it lacks the sort of 'proximity effect' type push that the 650's have. And in fact the 650's do sit much closer onto your ears so perhaps there's a contributing factor. But the problem here for me is that I actually like that slightly more forward bass. I use the cans to judge low end where my NS10's roll off, and I've found that most people's playback systems, whether they be headphones or speakers tend to have a bit of that push in them too. So for me, if I had to choose between the two, just for that particular use, I'd go for the 650's. If it was for listening purposes, for pleasure, I'd definitely get the 800's. I'm going to try the AKG 712 pros, the Shure's if I can, and hopefully the 812's.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#1075544 - 21/11/13 12:04 PM
712s are great J. You won't look back m8.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Michael Corrano

#1091186 - 28/02/14 11:56 AM
They are one of the most amazing headphones I've ever come across, but they have drawbacks, and certainly none of them relate to how awesome they sound.

These may be (depending on what you are looking for in a headphone):
1- Price (some would argue that it is too expensive) but once you listen to this baby, you'll forget really quick
2- You most likely would need an accompanying amplifier, which might cost as much
3- The sound can be heard from those around you, so, they are not suitable for commuting or in closed spaces as you can disturb people.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
<3 All things sound

Helmutcrab

Loc: County Durham, UK
      #1091759 - 04/03/14 11:09 AM
I have had mine for 4 years.

They are good headphones with positives and negatives to me.

+ Good detail in mids, highs and stereo field. I found them good to mix with in an untreated room.

- The outer perforated shell is too thin and prone to damage from minor knocks. Using the headphone outs on a mackie onyx 1620 or focusrite saffire 26 i/o the bass response is not as tight/detailed or accurate ( sounds a little woolly, harder to perceive level and eq ) or as easy to assess as monitors to me in making transferable mixes. With more experience i probably could get used to that, but they are not as good as my not much more expensive yamaha msp5 studio monitors in the bass department imo. As mentioned above a good headphone amp might correct this - i do not know, but then you are adding considerably to the cost.

Cheers

--------------------
music for the downtrodden
https://soundcloud.com/slipper-hero

Edited by Helmutcrab (04/03/14 11:13 AM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 15475

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media