Main Forums >> Keyboards & Synthesis
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Dave.G

Are these kinds of Synths made? new
      #774406 - 29/09/09 12:11 PM
Hi,I'm looking to invest in a new hardware synth.I have a microkorg but find it a little limited soundwise.
I'm looking for a particular kind of synth,one which i don't know is even being made.
I have lots of good native instrument software/omnisphere/reason etc on my computer. Great sounds. For live work,i don't want to bring a laptop with me and make use of these sounds through Mainstage for example. Is there a hardware synth out there that can import the sounds i need? For example,if there's a sound in the FM8 that i really like,can i export the sound into the hardware synth and use it in a live situation? Can this be done?
Thanks,I hope someone out there can help me.

Dave.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: Are these kinds of Synths made? new [Re: Dave.G]
      #774418 - 29/09/09 12:25 PM
Sounds like you need a sampling keyboard/module.

A Triton/Trinity can have a sampling option fitted and there are a number of forum members that will probably suggest a Kurzweil K2500. Alternatively there are plenty of samplers by Akai or E-Mu that you can find on eBay.

Or you could go for one of these http://www.openlabs.com/products.html Integrated computer and keyboard, but they're not cheap!

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

. . . Delete This
Here be Dragons

#774425 - 29/09/09 12:30 PM
Korg OAsys maybe?

or Muse Receptor and a controller keyboard

what you need in order to do what you describe, is basically a PC in a keyboard.

The Pearl Works

Loc: North West
Re: Are these kinds of Synths made? new [Re: . . . Delete This User . . .]
      #774429 - 29/09/09 12:42 PM
The Oasys and Openlabs are megabucks!

What's the reason you don't want to take the laptop on the road?

Tomás Mulcahy

Loc: Cork, Ireland.
      #774436 - 29/09/09 01:07 PM
A fast modern laptop stuffed with RAM is the best thing. Use a reliable brand, like Apple or Sony. Kraftwerk use Sony.

--------------------
madtheory creations
Synths and pianos for Kontakt

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #774438 - 29/09/09 01:13 PM
For an FM8 sound you could pick up an old 6-op Yamaha synth (Dx7, TX7, TX802, etc) for peanuts and try loading a few banks of presets into it (loads around on the net). Or hunt down a PC-based programmer and copy the FM8 parameters.

Back in the day I loaded all my old DX7/TX7 sysex into FM7 (now FM8) - that was a great feature of the software. Dunno if you can do it the other way around though.

Personally I think you'll be disappointed and frustrated with sampling your synths. A static sample is a poor substitute and good multisampling takes a lot of memory and lot of time to create something convincing.

Taking a laptop (and Brainspawn Forte) would be the option I'd choose.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

jellyjim

Loc: uk
      #774440 - 29/09/09 01:15 PM
http://www.smproaudio.com/produkte/v-machines.html

+ a decent controller keyboard

only disadvantage is the box probably doesn't have as much wellie as a dedicated computer but there are lots of ways to deal with that

--------------------
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Are these kinds of Synths made? new [Re: jellyjim]
      #774442 - 29/09/09 01:19 PM
I'm interested to see how much the V-Rack will be. Last time I had need of something like this I ended up finding an old laptop for less than half the price of the V-Machine!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: Are these kinds of Synths made? new [Re: jellyjim]
      #774445 - 29/09/09 01:34 PM
Quote jellyjim:

http://www.smproaudio.com/produkte/v-machines.html

+ a decent controller keyboard

only disadvantage is the box probably doesn't have as much wellie as a dedicated computer but there are lots of ways to deal with that

I had forgotten about that product, but as Elf points out, you could probably get a better spec' laptop for less.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Dave.G

Re: Are these kinds of Synths made? new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #774510 - 29/09/09 04:54 PM
thanks guys for all your suggestions....
richie,true those openlabs are way too expensive for me!
idris,yes the muse receptor and oasys are way too expensive also!
jellyjim,the v-machine sounds like the sort of thing i need...not TOO expensive...BUT the reviews aren't too good(as you kind of suggest anyway) online unfortunately!
Pearl Works,the reasn I don't want to bring my laptop with me is because it's the only one I have(MacBook Pro - 1 year old-4gb Ram)...I spent approx 2 grand on it last year and i feel that out on the road it may get damaged...
but it seems to me(from all your suggestions) that the laptop seems to be the best way to go for me,for now...
I'll try to pick up a cheap second hand mac somewhere and start using Mainstage.

Thanks guys....

dave.

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #774546 - 29/09/09 07:10 PM
FM-8 sounds:

Yamaha:
DX7 mk2 or Mk1 depending on prefferance
DX-100 (12bit 4OP machine with a great gritty tone and great for bass)
FS-1R (Amazing synth that's also amazing at how much it sucks to program due to the small interface lol never the less use a sysex editor and it's all cool)
DX-200 > DX7 II with filters etc.. but to get the most of it you need the software editor but the front pannel allows some cool tweeking ability.

The original DX's aka mk1 DX7, DX-100, DX27 and so on to this day I belive sound better than FM7 and 8

desmond

Re: Are these kinds of Synths made? new [Re: vinyl_junkie]
      #774555 - 29/09/09 07:44 PM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

The original DX's aka mk1 DX7, DX-100, DX27 and so on to this day I belive sound better than FM7 and 8

They may sound "preferable to you" but I don't think they sound "better". Different, noisier, crunchier, less hi-fi - characteristics that are worse in theory, but may well add character that's appealling. I find this on the Wavestation verses the software version. The hardware version sounds crappier, but I prefer it to the more hi-fi software (which sounds "better", but less preferable to me).

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
Re: Are these kinds of Synths made? [Re: desmond]
      #774564 - 29/09/09 08:21 PM
Quote desmond:

Quote vinyl_junkie:

They may sound "preferable to you" but I don't think they sound "better". Different, noisier, crunchier, less hi-fi - characteristics that are worse in theory, but may well add character that's appealling. I find this on the Wavestation verses the software version. The hardware version sounds crappier, but I prefer it to the more hi-fi software (which sounds "better", but less preferable to me).

Yes you are right I just wrote it down pisse eyed lol
I think I meant to say I personaly feel they got more character to them sound wise hence why I said stupidly "better"
Indeed the software is technicaly better and even the DX-7 mk2 is better as it uses the 16bit convertors while the mk1 used 12bit but I belive that is one of the reasons out of many why I preffer the sound..also although a lot of people don't like the DX or programing one I for sure enjoy sitting down with one and making sounds rather than point and click

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 7887

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media