Main Forums >> Keyboards & Synthesis
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Bob Moose

What is the right price for a P-250?
      #904353 - 28/03/11 09:44 PM
Hello,

I have a Yamaha P-250 that I would like to sell because it is too big. Problem is I have no idea about which price to ask as I could not find other P-250s for sale.
This one is from 2005 if I remember correctly. It works normally. The built-in sounds are quite dated when comparing with the top recent VSTs (Ivory, Galaxy, Scarbee MK1, etc), but they are still very useable (when playing at concerts, noone told me "your piano sounds bad", on the contrary people like it). The GHE keyboard is still great nowadays and I may have some problems finding a proper replacement to it. One of the best features of the P-250 is the big flat top that allows to install other keyboards, computers, desktop synths, mixers, etc.
Maybe 500-700€ is correct, but I really have no idea. Would you dare to ask for as much as 1000€? Under 500€ I prefer keeping it. Please tell me if I am completely wrong...

Best,
-j

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
zzzxtreme

Re: What is the right price for a P-250? new [Re: Bob Moose]
      #905271 - 01/04/11 05:20 AM
GHE is present in clavinova CLP320. I have the better model, CLP330, tested them side by side, and I agree CLP320 is fantastic although nowhere near the CLP320. I would have gotten the CLP320 is the CLP330 weren't sold at b-stock price. Dramatic difference comparing to CP33,Motif XS8

P250 is highly professional sounding instrument, I personally would pay up to 800€.

But buying and selling is difference. It is worth it to buy at 800€, but not worth it to sell at 800€.

Keep it at home/studio, and get yourself a CP33 for gigging.

Bob Moose

#905321 - 01/04/11 10:01 AM
Thanks for your answer.

Indeed I am interested in something like the CP33. But if I buy one, why keep the P-250? I still did not have the time to try a CP33 -- do you mean the keyboard action is not as good as on the P-250?

I don't need two pianos, moreover I use software sounds now (a few VSTs + instruments and effects that I program myself), so if I have a single high-end "portable" keyboard it's the best solution for me. I had a P-90 before, but unfortunately I had to sell it for a very stupid reason. I remember the P-90 had about the same action as the P-250 (though slightly harder), so I thought the CP33 would be similar too. Maybe it's not the case actually...

Regards
-j

zzzxtreme

#905340 - 01/04/11 10:28 AM
yup CP33's touch is not as good as P250's

a lil bit lighter. but as a gigging piano, cp33 is affordable, moderately light, acceptable touch and good sounds.

Bob Moose

#905364 - 01/04/11 11:08 AM
Well, I don't have any problems with soft keys, but I need to have a hard keyboard at home so that I can still play the acoustic piano when one shows up. Due to space and neighbourhood limitations I cannot have an acoustic piano at home anymore though it would obviously be the best solution.

Considering that I find the P-250 too soft compared to an acoustic (or, at least, too easy to play), I guess a single CP33 is not the right solution for me. Currently, for gigging I use a Fatar VMK-88+ (8kg) which is strictly impossible to play unless you correct the velocity curve in software.
I could never find a proper hard-action master keyboard that weight less than 20kg. For stupid marketing reasons (?) the current good keyboards also have lots of useless features like speakers than you cannot use in live, tons of dated sounds, limited sequencers, etc.
Maybe the new Doepfer PK-88 that is released within a few months is the solution. I knew selling the P-90 was not a good idea, but I had to do it because a friend who was owing me some money never gave it back. Maybe I could ask the guy who I sold it "would you prefer a P-250 instead?". Seems like a joke, but it would be the most practical solution for me. That said, I'm afraid he prefers the P-90 for size reasons.

-j

zzzxtreme

#905467 - 01/04/11 05:07 PM
i've owned and tried a few digital pianos.

if you want heavier action than ghe key, try casio PX120. surprising heavy keys, like an upright.

korg sp250 is heavy too, but the size/dimension may or may not be of your liking

Bob Moose

#905706 - 03/04/11 05:42 PM
Yesterday I could go to a music shop. I tried everything (Yamaha CP33, P-95, CP-1, CP-5, CP-50, Roland RD300, RD700, V-Piano, Korg SP-250, SV1, Fatar Numa, Numa Piano, Numa Nero, etc), except the Casio PX that was not possible to find (I finally found a shop where they have one so I will try it later).
Talking about keyboard action, none of them was satisfying for me (I would have probably taken the CP33 or the SP-250 if I did not have anything currently). As I said I don't care about the internal sounds as I am using softwares.

My question should be: how can great manufacturers like Yamaha or Roland say that their new pianos are "the same as an acoustic piano" when the keys are way too soft compared to any acoustic piano? Is it really what players want? At the beginning of the 20th century the pianos had a lighter action, which was great, but later bigger rooms required harder actions for more loudness. So today the acoustic piano actions are pretty hard and you need a similarly hard keyboard to keep used to it (or, at least, it helps a lot).
But even if I had full budget I could not get anything today. I knew I should have kept the P-90

-j

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4233

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media