Main Forums >> Keyboards & Synthesis
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Chaconne

Loc: Oxford
Why no sync Sixtrak / 606? new
      #904629 - 29/03/11 10:27 PM
I tried to get my 606 to trigger the arpegiator on the sixtrak. The output seams to match the requirements, 5-15 volts, 20msec pulse.

Trying it with the SH09 shows the triggers are transmitting.

I wonder what the sixtrak is complaining about, and wether it would be happy with any other roland X0X?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Jumpeyspyder

Loc: Yorkshire
Re: Why no sync Sixtrak / 606? new [Re: Chaconne]
      #904639 - 29/03/11 10:58 PM
Hi Chaconne

What ports are you connecting with?
As far as I remember the 6 trak (still on my dream synth list ) has MIDI connections and the TR606 has a DINSync which may look similar but is not compatible.

There is probaly a convertor box vailable from kenton or someone similar.

Chaconne

#904660 - 30/03/11 01:13 AM
For the sequencer the sixtrak will actually accept MIDI clock in.
The arp though is something different - and it will not clock with MIDI, nor DIN sync. Apparently Juno's and Jupiters work this way also, they have an input for a pulse clock, just a square wave pulse that triggers each note pushing the arp forward.
The sixtrak uses the footswitch in for this. In the manual it shows a Drumtraks being used for the sync pulse.

The 606 has two sync pulse outputs, separate from DIN sync, and is timed using the tom tom pattern. The 707, 505 , 626 all do this apparently. Since the output specs matched the sixtrak requirements I thought this should work - but no.

None of this should matter because the sixtrak is MIDI, but for some reason the arp running sounds totally different to the same notes triggered via MIDI - the attack is different. It is a really gorgeous german prog-tronica sound, and I would love to have it synced.

I have heard that sequential stuff can be fussy, maybe the roland pulse is not symetrical enough...I might use it as an excuse to get a Drumtraks - if I can find one.

--------------------

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
      #905011 - 31/03/11 09:22 AM
I have a Sixtrak and in years gone by I used to have a lot of grief trying to get the arpeggiator to sync to things I'd plug into the Footswitch socket!
(I had an Oberheim DX drum machine which send a V-trig clock pulse that I'd assumed should do the job).

It's years since I thought about this - I can't recall if the Sixtrak actually wants an S-trig pulse instead (i.e. the opposite polarity).

Try this: can you advance the arpeggiator through individual steps using a footswitch?
If so, then the socket itself isn't broken and it's just a case of getting the right signals for it...
If not, then there's your problem right there!

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Chaconne

#905115 - 31/03/11 02:48 PM
Yeah, thanks Feline, I tried the footswitch thing and that does work. Thats whats frustrating since the 606 seams to give out exactly what the manual requires, + polarity and 20msec. I'll have to try another another machine, maybe a 626 something cheap I can sell on if it fails.

I'm determined to get this b*$%er going.....!!!

--------------------

Kolakube

Loc: Geordieland
      #905142 - 31/03/11 03:51 PM
Cant you use a MIDI/din sync convertor mate, and take them both around via MIDI (Like a kenton box) or are you not wanting to use a MIDI sequencer?

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
      #905193 - 31/03/11 07:10 PM
kolacube, you can't sync the Sixtrak's arpeggiator to MIDI clock, only to analogue trigger pulses to the footswitch socket.

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Kolakube

Loc: Geordieland
      #905196 - 31/03/11 07:19 PM
ah right. Thats quite bizarre.

Adam Inglis

Loc: Gold Coast Queensland Australi...
      #905267 - 01/04/11 04:15 AM
Sounds like the Sixtrak might be a "short-to-ground" type of socket. Sometimes these will trigger off the falling edge of the pulse if you put a little edge-detector circuit between them, cap-resistor-diode, but you need to test things out with a multimeter to see whats involved first.

--------------------
Adam Inglis
Funboys

Adam Inglis

#905268 - 01/04/11 04:19 AM
Sorry, scratch that - you say a Drumtraks will trigger it? Then maybe the 606 pulse is too brief (although mine manages to trigger everything I ask of it!) - you may need a pulse stretching circuit of some kind, again, should be pretty basic..

--------------------
Adam Inglis
Funboys

Chaconne

#905492 - 01/04/11 06:45 PM
In the sixtrak manual it asks for a 20msec pulse minimum.
The 606 manual says it outputs a 20msec pulse, but sequential also state that it has to be symetrical, so of course it sounds fussy - and who knows what the 606 is actually doing now 20 plus years on.

Many thanks for the help - I will look into the amateur electronics - but its not my strong point!

--------------------

Adam Inglis

#905532 - 02/04/11 12:55 AM
The 606 puts out 14 volts or so. Despite the specs maybe that's a bit too hot for the Sixtrak? You could try attenuating the signal with a voltage divider (2 resistors).

--------------------
Adam Inglis
Funboys

Chaconne

#905570 - 02/04/11 02:51 PM
Not having a breadboard or anything, I tried putting the jack through all sorts of pedals, compressors etc to see if I could alter the signal.
I got it to work through an old Joe Meek channel just by turning up the output gain a little...?

Anyhow it works, thanks for the suggestions. Got this irrational desire for a DAW less studio - its slowly happening - just need a little more junk !

--------------------

Adam Inglis

Re: Why no sync Sixtrak / 606? [Re: Chaconne]
      #905678 - 03/04/11 12:13 PM
Quote Chaconne:

Not having a breadboard or anything, I tried putting the jack through all sorts of pedals, compressors etc to see if I could alter the signal.
I got it to work through an old Joe Meek channel just by turning up the output gain a little...?

Ha ha nice work!

Quote Chaconne:

Got this irrational desire for a DAW less studio...

Yep, every few months or so I re-patch the studio to allow my old Roland MC50 to control everything - making music without a computer is such good fun! No screens to look at, so guess what? You listen and imagine more! Actually, now that the Sync Lock is a central part of the studio, I am sometimes in the bizarre position where the role of the DAW is simply as the master clock for all the hardware.
Good luck...

--------------------
Adam Inglis
Funboys

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6686

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media