Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
crx091081gb

New track, lot of synths, dub delay lines and a cat new
      #991465 - 06/06/12 01:34 AM
I made this kind of as a joke, there were a couple of other tracks that I felt a bit precious about so I wanted to practice my mixing on one I didn't feel so close to. I'm happy with the grit, but I don't know if I over cooked the transients a bit, it's pretty squashed but then what isn't these days?

In retrospect it might have needed more variety in the chord sequencing on the organ part but I kind of felt like there was enough variety in all the other guff going on over the top so I just left it. I don't think my cat even liked it, he vomited al over my carpet just after I uploaded it, the little [ ****** ].

Murphy's Song (Lap Acid)

All feedback gratefully received. I did a city and guilds years back and been sequencing synths for years but I've only really started trying to finish and mix down tracks recently, so much to learn, so little time.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
Re: New track, lot of synths, dub delay lines and a cat new [Re: crx091081gb]
      #991543 - 06/06/12 03:27 PM
i think it's a good groove to practice mixing on

what I would do is work on giving each part it's own space, in area and frequency - and play a lot more with panning...

at the moment everything seems to be fighting for the same central up-front space...use reverb to distance things and panning to separate......and there is a lot going on in the lower frequency spectrum....some cuts (pultec stylee might well work) in the lower frequencies on that organ, bass drum and filters on the bass instruments would do wonders....

...as for the tune, it's very simple, so more a mixing exercise - nice choice of tones tho,....a broad balance to get your teeth into - and the introduction of a lead line around 1:30 will also help in mixing - (you may want to duck the organ under the lead line using a compressor)

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

crx091081gb

Re: New track, lot of synths, dub delay lines and a cat new [Re: Wease]
      #991991 - 08/06/12 08:16 PM
Cheers for the reply, yeah I listened to it round at a mates on his speakers and you're completely right the low end is very messy. I think there are structural problems with the song, listening back to I never do a break down and remove the kick for a bit.

What's a pultec? Obviously I'll google in a minute but any clarifications as to the nature of the technique would be helpful.

Panning and more verbs and some ducking of a new lead. I'll get to it!

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter!

Wease

#991998 - 08/06/12 09:27 PM
a pultec is a classic eq - and there are lots of emulations around - and it's a nice style of eq

there's a tech description here of a psp emulation - and what kinda thing the pultec style eq does

you also want to duck the music underneath the lead line...so you compress the music parts, and feed the compressor with the lead line (so it only works/compresses) when the lead line plays.

you may also want to invest in some reading time - Paul White's books are good btw for grounding in mixing theory....and the basics/regular processes are covered well. I also know that Mike senior's book mixing secrets for the small studio is good - he does the mix rescue stuff on SOS - well recommended for a read!

--------------------

Medway

Loc: London
Re: New track, lot of synths, dub delay lines and a cat [Re: crx091081gb]
      #992012 - 09/06/12 12:32 AM
Would agree it's all quite mono, would be nice to bring the drums out wide and give it some depth. You could also mult out that acid synth and separate the upper and lower freqs and then widen the upper ones at key points.

For cuts although Pultec is great (have real one here) a standard Hipass should do you fine.

--------------------
www.medwaystudios.com

crx091081gb

Re: New track, lot of synths, dub delay lines and a cat new [Re: Wease]
      #992148 - 09/06/12 11:18 PM
It's been ages since I sat down with a Paul White book, I've got one of his mix basics somewhere, you're right I should probably go back to the beginning. I'll try and track down a Mike Senior one too.

crx091081gb

Re: New track, lot of synths, dub delay lines and a cat new [Re: Medway]
      #992149 - 09/06/12 11:21 PM
I take it 'mult out' means multiband separate?

I saw a guy selling that Pultec emulation for second hand at £25 on KVR. Thought it'd be worth a punt, the only other EQs I have are the ones that come with Sonar X1 Producer, they seem alright. I'm not exactly golden ears though.

Wease

#992171 - 10/06/12 10:15 AM
Quote crx091081gb:

I take it 'mult out' means multiband separate?

No. It means to give the sound multiple channels..what you usually would do is copy the audio to another/more track(s) (keeping the original) and effect the different tracks (with the same audio in them) in different ways....via VST effects, panning etc etc.....so basically you have a multitude of tracks playing the same audio but processed in different ways...can be a very good way of thickening sound/altering tones etc

as for the pultec thing.....it's just a nice effect, where you cut at a certain lower frequency and also add a low end shelf - these cuts and boosts interact with each other - the link I gave describes the process better

But don't get too hung up about using pultec style eq's - it was really just me thinking aloud as to what processes i might use on the eq front.

Panning, cutting overlapping frequencies and some reverb (to give left/right and front/back depth respectively) would be a good start here.

I'd also put into your project commecrial tracks (a stereo one) that you like to hear what they have done (where they have positioned instruments etc) and emulate them

oh - and most importantly - have fun! - it can be quite a satisfying thing getting mixes sounding right....and good fun trying! (especially if you're a geek like me! )

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 1471

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media