Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Wiseau

Interface Shopping
      #920992 - 17/06/11 10:28 AM
I've been through a presonus audiobox and a focusrite sapphire 6. When recording into cubase 6, the levels are higher on the right channel, although not by much. When playing back something with a lot of tracks, it gets more noticeable.

I've been told by the place I got them from that this is down to the quality of the preamps, so I'm off shopping,and since it's going to be used with a desktop, I can venture into the world of firewire.

I don't need many inputs or want valves etc. I usually only use two inputs. Those interfaces that I mentioned are about £200 I believe but I can raise the budget if it's going to do the job, , lets say £500 but if a good one creeps over that - not by much - please mention that too.

If you have heard good things about one, could I be given help in drawing up a list of possibles? It's a big ask I know. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
'You know it's a bad role when Nic Cage passes on it.'

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Exalted Wombat

Re: Interface Shopping new [Re: Wiseau]
      #921003 - 17/06/11 11:37 AM
If you're happy with the performance of these interfaces otherwise, there are much cheaper ways of balancing channels.

But did you say the imbalance happens on BOTH a presonus audiobox and a focusrite sapphire 6? It surely isn't the interface's fault then!

Oh, and never take advice from a salesman :-)

tacitus

#921019 - 17/06/11 01:02 PM
It's like Wombat says - hardly possible that two interfaces have the same problem in that way, and there are ways of sorting it out that don't involve buying anything. I'd think we were a poor lot here if we couldn't solve your problem, so can you let us know how the problem manifests itself, and, while you're at it, check your setup to be sure you have made some silly mistake and are adjusting the wrong channel and making it worse, or some such. I have a crisp £20 note here that says it isn't a channel imbalance problem in two separate interfaces. Will your salesman take me up on that?

Seriously, more information would help and I guess one of us will come up with something.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #921023 - 17/06/11 01:28 PM
Indeed - having now reviewed 86 audio interfaces over the years I can’t ever remember measuring any that showed a noticeable channel inbalance, and before comparing interfaces using my custom audio comparator I always check that all levels are the same to a tolerance of +/-0.1dB

Even if there was a difference, you could cure it with a slight tweak to the channel pan control

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Wiseau

#921025 - 17/06/11 01:54 PM
yourself

The laptop has been fully tested, software installed reinstalled, updates etc. using other software. I'm not paying to have the sapphire. They're having discussions with both companies, it's confusing them as much as it is me. I don't like laptops anyway, it's getting the boot whatever, they should not be allowed near studios.

Exalted Wombat

#921027 - 17/06/11 02:00 PM
Quote Wiseau:

The laptop has been fully tested, software installed reinstalled, updates etc. using other software. I'm not paying to have the sapphire. They're having discussions with both companies, it's confusing them as much as it is me. I don't like laptops anyway, it's getting the boot whatever, they should not be allowed near studios.

Nonetheless, if two different audio interfaces show the same imbalance, it's a fair bet a third one will too, however expensive it is :-)

Your tagline "Some kind of laptop, behringer something desk, monitors that make noise, and other stuff - I haven't looked." doesn't imply a terribly organised approach :-) But I'm sure that's misleading. DO look. You'll probably find what's doing it.

Wiseau

Re: Interface Shopping new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #921030 - 17/06/11 02:17 PM
I used to have a carillon pc with a presonus firepod, I had no problems, I'm getting a new carillon ,it's nothing to do with outboard gear either. The most important thing at the moment is that it's not stopping me from working. The laptop is a bookend from now on.

Just found out what my desk is it's a....no gone again.

Strangy

Loc: Cardiff, UK
      #921038 - 17/06/11 03:00 PM
Hi Wiseau

"When recording into cubase 6, the levels are higher on the right channel, although not by much"

could you tell us what are you recording / what's the source? e.g. through a set of matched mics / un-matched mics, a stereo synth etc? Apologies if i missed it... could it be something simple e.g. using slightly different cables or something? Just a thoughts.

I can't see a new interface solving anything.

James

Wiseau

#921107 - 18/06/11 08:45 AM
I've recorded a bunch of stuff, fantom, proteus. etc, mpc main outs, all with different cables, switched the cables over, but the level difference doesn't move over to the left as I thought it would.

I think I'll put this down to misc weirdness, as I'm heading back to safe ground - desktop land. Thanks for the help everyone.

--------------------
'You know it's a bad role when Nic Cage passes on it.'

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2770

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media