Main Forums >> Keyboards & Synthesis
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Kolakube

Loc: Geordieland
Access VIrus Ti - Questions new
      #818603 - 13/03/10 09:38 AM
1 - How much better is the Ti2 in pounds? IE is it £500 better than the Ti or 20p??
2 - Is all the latency finally sorted out I kept hearing about when integrating it?
3 - I notice it has 6 outputs. Can I pan 3 sounds hard left and 3 hard right to give me 6 separate mono voices?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Kolakube

Re: Access VIrus Ti - Questions new [Re: Kolakube]
      #818964 - 15/03/10 01:14 PM
No one on the SOS keyboard forum has an Access Virus?????

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #818980 - 15/03/10 02:49 PM
Quote kolakube:

No one on the SOS keyboard forum has an Access Virus?????

Cos they are lame
Sorry couldn't help it lol

To the Pan question yes it can

Kolakube

#819041 - 15/03/10 06:02 PM
gasp!!!! Me and Martin not agreeing on synths

Thanks for point 3.

Anyone else. Especially point 2

Chevytraveller

Loc: London
      #819051 - 15/03/10 06:28 PM
I don't have one myself, but according to this thread the latency problems have been sorted out

hope this helps in part

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

vinyl_junkie

Re: Access VIrus Ti - Questions [Re: Kolakube]
      #819071 - 15/03/10 08:48 PM
Quote kolakube:

gasp!!!! Me and Martin not agreeing on synths

LOL Never heheh it's all in good fun though eh

I didn't know there was a latency issue, I played on my friends TI a bit and there were huge amounts of latency with total integration going through Logic 8 Pro but I thought it was just incorrectly setup as he only had it a few days and he's one of these RTFM people lol
At least it's sorted out now!
If you get one mate I want to be the first to know what you think hahah

All those annoying flashing blue and white lights on it give me a epileptic seizure too haha But I guess kids now think it looks cool

Kolakube

#819075 - 15/03/10 08:59 PM
Hey mate.

I have ordered a one. Selling my JP to part pay and my 101 to pay the rest. I know I Know I buy and sell stuff faster than I get it. Just the way I am until I find my perfect synth.

Blue and white LEDs I think your referring to the Polar. I got the Keyboard version mate. Not as flash but a 5 octave keyboard. SO better play but doesn't pull the chicks as much. haha, as if a girls ever got wet over a synth anyhow.

Ill let you know what I think but knowing me Ill have sold it before you have even replied below

Kolakube

#819896 - 18/03/10 10:46 PM
Ok my views on my new TI,

latency still an issue but only slightly. Workaround include switching to audio out whilst recording and then back to USB. Being hardcore I only use analogue outs anyhow so not a prob. This may change if I can ever get my hear around Ableton routing system.

Has to be the best preset player ever. Has literally thousands of patches. All easy to tweak or just create your own.

Ti is awesome. Why the hell this hasn't been ripped off and all other manufactures copied ill never know. Literally is the best of both worlds. Other synths in my studio are missing a dimension now by comparison.

Sounds are all smothered in reverbs and delays to the point it gets on my wick. Turn all this kak off and the sound is as good as virtual analogue gets so why the need for the smother??

Build quality is awesome. Its german, I mean what did you expect?

Its early days but so far this is the best workhorse I know off hand certainly what I own. We have just got back from our first date and I cant wait for the second. Overall a very positive experience.

SecretSam

Loc: Officially, I do not exist.
      #820068 - 19/03/10 02:50 PM
I have a ten-year-old Virus B. Still a wonderful machine. And played through a big bass rig, it will turn Harry Krishna into a bad boy, innit ?

On the B, IIRC, you can assign each channel of a multitimbral setup to a pair of outputs, or to a left or right. So, yes, the outs can be mono or stereo. TI probably the same. R T Friendly M ?

EDIT: actually I did just look at the Friendly Manual. The manual for the B does say that outs for each multitimbral channel can be to one out or a stereo pair. The manual for the TI is not specific - or not on any term for 'output' I could think to search for. Just have to fiddle around and see what's in there !

--------------------
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Edited by SecretSam (19/03/10 03:09 PM)

Quaver

#820119 - 19/03/10 05:37 PM
Quote:

1 - How much better is the Ti2 in pounds? IE is it £500 better than the Ti or 20p??

TI and TI2 are the ame apart from cosmetic differences and overall weight an and a few extra processing chips,the engines are identical,wouldn't warrant the extra cash for a mk2 if you already have a MK1

Quote:

2 - Is all the latency finally sorted out I kept hearing about when integrating it?

Never used it to great extent as a VST type plug in,only use the software editor,so can't say how much improvement has been made,guess in a software app your always going to have some form of latency

Quote:

Sounds are all smothered in reverbs and delays to the point it gets on my wick

You can turn them off Globally in the Configuration menu in the system pages,saves manually arsing around in each sound when you need to record.I find the reverbs too domineering,even with minimal amounts of send Most of the patches don't need to be washed in fx anyway they sound pretty nice when they're Dry,the Distortion fx(in OS4)are very good,Most of the time I only really use the Tape delay,I don't rate the Verbs in the TI whatosever

The TI is my main workshorse,I use both a 61 Keyboard version and Desktop,the only limitation I find and hate with them is that although they claim 80 note poly,dependant on the patches used you can soon suffer from note stealing as the polyphony is processor based rather note count,(hence why I use two models)so some patches can be huge polyphony huggers dependant on oscillator types,mainly why I switch the FX off globally as this gives priority to polyphony allowance based on notes played and less lilely to suffer note stealing as your not sharing notes with FX processing just for the sake of it

I use mine mostly in Multi mode creating combi sounds for layering and splits,mostly in a performance situation never used it as VST type app,as I'm hardware based sequencing only so never had an issue with latency

Kolakube

#820143 - 19/03/10 09:13 PM
Thanks for pointing out I can turn all the kak FX off globally.

Honestly, im with you al the way. THe reverbs are garbage and the sounds are litrally smothered in them totally running them. They sound better without.

I dont get the mindset. Some programmer spends ages making a good preset then thinks, hmm I know ill turn the reveb onto 100% wet???

Virus sounds great without FX like the Nord Lead

Kolakube

#820148 - 19/03/10 09:48 PM
@ Quaver.

Hi, Ive turned off the FX globally both reverb and delay yet some sounds still have them on.

I go to turn them off manually via the send knob and it states off.

Any ideas mate?

vinyl_junkie

#820158 - 19/03/10 11:49 PM
Surely it can't be as bad as a Novation lol I thought they held the benchmark for most amount of wack FX and reverb over presets only difference is turn the FX off on a Supernova or K-Station and it sounds just as sh*t if not shitter lol

Kolakube

#820193 - 20/03/10 07:32 AM
Seriously Martin. I have never heard such drenching, smothering, saturation, (hmmmm, thinking of more huge words so you cant mis understand how hard I am trying t hammer the point home) of reverb and delays.

There all at the point where not only have they gone past a little too much but to the point where they ruin the sound totally. There are literally 1000's of presets and every one is killed of by this.

As said though mate, the Virus Ti (IMHO) is one of the best VAs I have heard without the ridicules FX amounts and is as good as the JP (You all know im a JP lover right?) except with the Ti you don't get the stupid clicky envelopes.

Mind on the note of the ridiculous amounts of reverbs interestingly being a Trance head I also have the Vengeance sound banks for my JP and they suffer from the same reverb drenching (The original JP ROM sounds do not) so im left wondering if its a German thing??

Michael Dow

Loc: London
      #822492 - 29/03/10 08:43 PM
I have a C and i'd say it is WAAAYYY better than the JP. Which i also own. (8080) I love them both as if they were my own children though of course. But the Virus sounds WAY beefier. The EQ is obviously bassier and the top end is quite low so i quite often find i have to boost the highs a bit to get it to sit in the mix (i make trance/techno amongst other things)

The reverb isnt great, but on some patches it definately give you a good idea of what some effects can do to change, or even add some atmosphere to the sounds.

The supernova II (which i also own) reverb must be the worst i've ever heard apart from Vanguards (yuk!)

I wish i could afford a TI. My C is a bit knackered too

--------------------
www.myspace.com/michaeldow www.myspace.com/portasoundband

ill

Loc: Dirty ol' London
      #824425 - 06/04/10 02:27 PM
The latency on the TI 1 has been sorted out in the main.

You can't freeze though, you have to bounce, no biggie.

Andy McBain

Re: Access VIrus Ti - Questions new [Re: ill]
      #827362 - 16/04/10 01:16 PM
Am I the only one that quite likes the Virus reverb then?

The delay is lovely too...

Kolakube

#827367 - 16/04/10 01:36 PM
Hey mate,

Not meaning to come across snobby but have you ever heard a high end hard or soft Reverb. A Lexicon for EG?

I can understand how you can think the Ti reverb is ok if not but to my, (I own the Lexicon reveb suite) the Ti reverbs are terrible only beaten in terribleness by ReFXs kit as Michael points out above.

As for Delays, I fell the opposite. I bought the Waves Multi Tap delay which is great to program, IE you can put delays where you want in time or stereo but apart from that it sounds no different to the bundled Ping Pong on Ableton Live 8.

To bottom line the reverb thing, if you like it a lot, use it a lot mate! Music is a very personal thing.

genesisfan

Loc: Southern California USA
      #828755 - 22/04/10 05:56 AM
Hi
I just got my new VIRUS TI 2 on Xmas day 2009
It's a great synth! ACCESS will never leave you behind, due to OS upgrades via download
Just about emulates most of the legendary Vintage synths
Has some awsome (stock) patches, has some really deep pads & synth leads you may tweak or design your own from scratch
Get one, you'll be happy and wished you'd got one sooner!

--------------------
KORG Triton Extreme 88 / PROPHET 8/ ROLAND V-Synth GT / ACCESS Virus TI 2 / JBL LSR 6328P Monitors & 6312P Sub-woofer

Kolakube

#828759 - 22/04/10 06:10 AM
Hi mate, got one, didn't like it, now selling it.

andy-c!

#828968 - 22/04/10 10:07 PM
I've had my Ti1 for just over a year, and use it on logic. Its been glitchy initially, but they've sorted that out with the software updates.

Other than that it is, as previously said, down to personal taste?

Kolakube

#829003 - 23/04/10 07:09 AM
Andy

Totally agree with personal taste. Everything is. Ti didn't work out for me, but then again no hardware did and Ive owned a lot of stuff over the years including an andromeda, nord 3 etc etc.

I dodnt want to get into a hardware v software debate but software does it all far simpler for me. I can concentrate on my music and production as opposed getting distracted by the interface and worse gear lust. I have zero gear lust now and its al about the music

I honestly cannot see the point however for me and whoever to argue about what kit is good for me and what is good for them. Its like the Apple v PC debate - yawwwnnnnn. Its what works for the individual.

All as any PC, or bit of software or hardware is is a tool to make music with. You dont hear plumbers arguing over the best hammer or spanner set.

Im not saying the Ti is poor. But its not for me. Id bet if it were for someone they would get great results with it and nothing else. If you love yours, go make great music with it and let me have a listen.

All the best,

Mickey

SecretSam

#829104 - 23/04/10 02:34 PM
You may not hear plumbers arguing about spanners, but you certainly hear joiners arguing about hammers. The consensus seems to be that Estwing are best, but some say that they are overpriced and something cheaper does an equivalent job.

--------------------

SecretSam

#829105 - 23/04/10 02:36 PM
Sorry, that was a bit OT, wasn't it ?

--------------------

Kolakube

#829234 - 24/04/10 07:02 AM
Nope, not OT at all. Your either having a joke which is fine or if not your point is actually very useful for reinforcing my point.

If a plumber can get by with a cheaper tool then why not as he gets the same end results or better. This s my point. Its the end result that matter, nothing else.

Rewind to my analogy. I have an Andromeda, Virus Ti, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, Juno 60, Juno 106, SH-101, Akai S1000 and Akai S1100 and I couldn't write a damn thing. Not a thing. I spent all my time wondering how the hell to do this or that or each drastically different instrument. Of course turing on or off was a bloody night mare. 20 on off buttons and boot up sequences to go through. Then again, I know fellow trance musicians who have had excellent results with far less.

I sold everything, invested in excellent monitoring and room acoustics and VST several VST synths. Predator, Z3ta, Vangaurd, D16 303 (daft name eludes me.)

The above suite of VST synths are worth a fraction of the hardware and my productivity is up 5000%. In other words I have found an approach that works for me. And it is the far cheaper approach. Of course, my cheap approach isnt down to cash, its down to what works.

Maybes thats the same for plumbers tools.

andy-c!

#829362 - 24/04/10 05:51 PM
Kola - totally agree with you - I use a Ti, but also use NI, Arturia and other stuff. I'd bet each rig each of us use is unique in one way or another. I've Jut got a Novation sl 61ii - which doesn't 'feel' like a Ti - but its v useful in other ways....controller wise...

Kolakube

#829421 - 25/04/10 06:52 AM
Andy you sound happy with what you haver got mate and thats all that maters.

Id rather be very productive with and old Korg M1 than be useless with the £5000s worth of kit I had and useless I was.

Keep knocking out the music fella.

I think the worst thing you can do is look at someone else's rig even if you adore their music and think, I know Il buy all of that. I spent two years doing that and getting no where.

Quaver

#830096 - 28/04/10 10:41 AM
Quote kolakube:

Id rather be very productive with and old Korg M1 than be useless with the £5000s worth of kit I had and useless I was.

Keep knocking out the music fella.

I think the worst thing you can do is look at someone else's rig even if you adore their music and think, I know Il buy all of that. I spent two years doing that and getting no where.

This is where many people go wrong,technology is there to aid you,a tool,not a replacement for your ability,or lack of...if your [ ****** ] at woodwork,simply buying a set of nice Expensive Carving tools isn't going to create you a masterpiece dining table,you need to focus on the job in hand and work on your skills first which most of the time maybe simply going back to the basics rather than trying to run before you can walk,simplifying your working methods is a motivator for sure

I have a plethora of gear,(infact probably far more than I ever need you think your booting up and powering up sequence was blase!!!! )yet when it comes to actually writing songs I simply use one instrument,and normally a piano patch at that or an acoustic Guitar,this is what I write with and only write like this,so when it comes to programming I already have a song structure and so then work on each track and gradually introducing all the synths,I did it the other way trying to work from scratch playing a patch here or programming there, or trying to build a full track from a 4 bar groove or hook,sometimes it worked(very little progress though)and it soon became frustrating,and apparent that it was more my working methods than ability.

Much of it is getting into focus to become motivated,having the gear in a state of readiness by setting yourself up with working templates etc is worth its weight in Gold,my studio is hardware only,having a stable environment also makes things less tedious,I've been down the software route but never found a setup that gave me the results without all the [ ****** ] that goes with keeping it stable,simply using this or that,surrounding yourself with too many options or synths without any real direction of what you want to achieve or song structure is counterproductive also,however for some people it may work,Certainly for me composing chords and melodies away from the studio under no real pressure really did wonders for my enthusiasm to compose as it was great hearing how the songs would change or mould the direction once I worked on them in the studio,I always find that if the song was moving and good in a raw form,it would only heighten the song in studio once It was in full flow,it also threw the boredom or lack of motivation out of the window as I always had a batch of demos to work with rather going in with a blank canvas,I suppose that there are people who can blag it from a simply 4 bar idea,yet being more at home with songwriting rather than programming from scratch I didn't like this way of doing things.
Beating yourself up over wasting money on expensive toys is never going to do wonders for your motivation neither,but its good you've found an environment that works better for you within software,No doubt I suspect you'll find that hardware did work for you it was simply the way you intergrated with it,something I never found with Computers and that only proved I was far better and productive with hardware

Simply trying to acheive something by purchasing a whole studio of stuff like some other persons setup in the hope it will gain you success is more than likely a recipe for disaster or failure,and also seeing how much cash outlay Vs little musical output your getting,not something I have ever thought about at the end of the day I look at it that there are far more wastes of money that I would feel disgusted about spending on Like Alcohol or Tobacco,but I don't drink or smoke so I know which one I would rather be spending my hard earned cash on,I'm sure over the course of a decade I could have bought these instruments ten fold for what some of my friends have spent on such drugs with nothing more than Health problems and hangovers to show for it

its not the gear you use but the way in which you work with it and how motivated you are,I always find working with limitations and time scales to acheive something is a true kick up the arse to motivate my songwriting desire,Only then moving to the whole setup to truly bring out the best of those songs I've composed.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 9112

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media