Main Forums >> Keyboards & Synthesis
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
reubendotdotdot

what are these? ensoniq eps 16 plus and generalmusic s2? new
      #831073 - 03/05/10 07:51 PM
hi there, i am not a musician but would like some advice, on the clean out of our loft we found some keyboards/sampler's and i am trying to work out how much they would be worth?

1. Ensoniq EPS 16 plus digital sampling workstation.

2. General Music S2 Music Processor

don't know if they are working yet but found them stored collecting dust but in dry safe place, no cracks or broken bits that i can see (will have to buy a 3 pin cord to test?). i did some web searching on them but couldn't work out if the est price listed was for when it was used or as a vintage piece. hope someone out there can help... i am gonna put them up for an ebay auction so wanna put a good starting price.

kind regards
reuben

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Scope

Re: what are these? ensoniq eps 16 plus and generalmusic s2? [Re: reubendotdotdot]
      #831092 - 03/05/10 09:11 PM
Err, dont get your hopes up.

The EPS and S2 are both vintage by todays standards, but both are digital, so no inflated analogue prices here.

The EPS is no Emu or Akai, the S2 is no Korg M1
Also, neither were class-leading or "industry standard" so are a bit more esoteric, appealing to those who want to experiment with different sound sources, rather than use tried and tested kit with a once-extensive user base.

Personally, I'd start your auction at 99p, expecting anything from £50, up to £100
I doubt you will get more, but you never know !

Your computer's power cable should fit, unless you have a Mac
- and then its dependant on which model as not all are standard IEC sockets.

reubendotdotdot

Re: what are these? ensoniq eps 16 plus and generalmusic s2? new [Re: reubendotdotdot]
      #831096 - 03/05/10 09:23 PM
thanks for that! all good it was what i was gonna do anyway once i tested them but then i spotted this review

http://www.vintagesynth.com/ensoniq/ens_eps16.php

with the est. value at $1000 but couldn't work out if that was new or used...

ken long

Loc: The Orient, East London
Re: what are these? ensoniq eps 16 plus and generalmusic s2? new [Re: reubendotdotdot]
      #831099 - 03/05/10 09:47 PM
Quote:

Personally, I'd start your auction at 99p, expecting anything from £50, up to £100
I doubt you will get more, but you never know !

I agree. Start it low. But you may just get a lot more for the EPS, especially if its souped up RAM. It was good in its heyday and there are still people actively seeking them.

ken

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

ken long

#831100 - 03/05/10 09:49 PM
Quote reubendotdotdot:

thanks for that! all good it was what i was gonna do anyway once i tested them but then i spotted this review

http://www.vintagesynth.com/ensoniq/ens_eps16.php

with the est. value at $1000 but couldn't work out if that was new or used...

I'd say that's well out of date. In fact, I can't remember them being that much tbh. You'll be lucky to get £300 for it.

ken

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

reubendotdotdot

#831105 - 03/05/10 10:17 PM
well, seeing as i stopped someone dumping these at a charity today, 300 quid would be like seven xmas's!

ken long

#831112 - 03/05/10 10:59 PM
Best of luck with it. There is a reader's classified section on this forum. You could always try there first.

ken

--------------------
I'm All Ears.

reubendotdotdot

#831117 - 03/05/10 11:25 PM
ok thats a great suggestion, what su heading do you think i should put them under, keyboards? (sorry to sound stupid but this really is not my specialty!)

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #831131 - 04/05/10 06:33 AM
See if the EPS16 has a SCSI card, or the Gem has a Turbo card, which will increase the value. One of the Gem's drawbacks is the lack of sysex, though it can make some fairly decent sounds. I'd estimate £100-£200 each on Ebay, and would start the listings at around £100 or so. I'd put the S2 under Synthesisers and the EPS under Samplers.

reubendotdotdot

#831256 - 04/05/10 04:37 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! dropped them on ebay, lets see how they go,

Kind regards
reuben

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #831444 - 05/05/10 01:24 PM
Good luck with that. (Looks like the EPS has got some kind of expansion on the back in one of the photos. Did you find out if it has SCSI...?)

C2

#1015222 - 24/10/12 01:35 PM
hello Reuben
I was wondering if U still have either the EPS 16 Plus or the GeneralMusic S2 keyboards?
I would be interested in making a purchase if you haven't sold them. I am primarily interested in the S2...and wanted to know if it was the Turbo version?

Thank you in advance
C2

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #1015286 - 24/10/12 07:26 PM
The 16+ is one of my favorite samplers other than my workhorse Akai's

I paid £90 for my keyboard with the RAM expansion but no SCSI.

I wouldn't personally pay more than £120 for a standard one.
They're not that reliable either

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 7618

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media