Main Forums >> Keyboards & Synthesis
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
gryfyx

Loc: Mumbai, India
Plugin Inquiry: Bassline
      #845619 - 09/07/10 05:53 PM
Hi everyone

I was wondering if there is anything apart from trilogy and trilian that may not be of the same league, but may have enough strength to create more of pop-ambient like basslines.

Although I am quite happy with trilian but it becomes quite monotonous working on the same interface for long and VST's are anyways my addiction.

It might sound funny, but I had used BFD 2 as well for bassline creation.

And also I think I am looking for some ideas on the application of improvisation while designing basslines.

Any suggestion?

--------------------
SoundCloud

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Plugin Inquiry: Bassline new [Re: gryfyx]
      #845620 - 09/07/10 05:58 PM
Anything by Papen must be worth a try.

http://www.robpapen.com/subboombass.html

Then there's Scarbee...or Majestic...

alex870

#845627 - 09/07/10 06:33 PM
Arturia are quality of course. In terms of value for money, it's hard to go wrong with the Jupiter 8 - great for bass, pads and many things synthy. Their Minimoog emulation is a worthy consideration of course, although it's somewhat more limited in range, but extremely good at doing it's thing. CS80V would be more of an oddball choice but still highly capable.

KORG Legacy Collection Analog Edition '07 has some nice flexbility and sounds good for a wide range of sounds including bass.

ReFx: Vangard - decent synth (esp. good at the ambient hoover sounds) and Nexus Rompler. Nexus goes for quantity over quality, but there are a number of superb gems mixed in there for bass and other types of sound.

gryfyx

#845691 - 10/07/10 06:53 AM
Thanx guys, does anyone know which is the best emulation of old moog synth. I've heard a lot about Minimonsta being a fad in moog implementation. I had never used it though, and has never worked with Arturia Moog as well, but heard a lot of praises for both. Which one would be better?
Or if there is any other moog synth that can beat these two, please let me know.

--------------------
SoundCloud

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #845752 - 10/07/10 06:16 PM
I didn't think the Minimonsta was that bad...of course it isn't as good as the real thing but we had to use the plug in on a track we were working on cos the real Mini Moog had issues with drifting oscillators. To me it sounded just too polished and clean but it's not a bad emulation

Chevytraveller

Loc: London
      #845758 - 10/07/10 07:25 PM
For my money and ears, the Minimonsta sounded much better than the Arturia.. especially in the lower octaves where it really counts.
It's never going to sound completely like a real Mini, but probably the closest I've heard

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

gryfyx

Re: Plugin Inquiry: Bassline new [Re: Chevytraveller]
      #845780 - 10/07/10 10:08 PM
Quote vinyl_junkie:

I didn't think the Minimonsta was that bad...of course it isn't as good as the real thing but we had to use the plug in on a track we were working on cos the real Mini Moog had issues with drifting oscillators. To me it sounded just too polished and clean but it's not a bad emulation.

and

Quote Chevytraveller:

For my money and ears, the Minimonsta sounded much better than the Arturia.. especially in the lower octaves where it really counts.
It's never going to sound completely like a real Mini, but probably the closest I've heard

|
|

Thanx for that.

I think Minimonsta is mainly for trance. I am looking for something more atmospheric and organic.

--------------------
SoundCloud

JamesSimpson

#845836 - 11/07/10 12:29 PM
How can a plugin that is an emulation of any synth be for trance only? Especially something as widely heard as a minimoog.

I have used minimoogs in rock, pop, dubstep, electro.... I don't quite understand what you mean by saying a minimonsta is for trance?

--------------------
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

gryfyx

Re: Plugin Inquiry: Bassline new [Re: JamesSimpson]
      #845896 - 11/07/10 07:43 PM
Quote JamesSimpson:

How can a plugin that is an emulation of any synth be for trance only? Especially something as widely heard as a minimoog.

I have used minimoogs in rock, pop, dubstep, electro.... I don't quite understand what you mean by saying a minimonsta is for trance?

___
O gosh! I hope my professor doesnt read that I wrote (I think Minimonsta is mainly for trance. I am looking for something more atmospheric and organic).

I know that you are right James, and I know that the art of music is not limited to stubborn unbending rules. Allow me to explain what I meant to say.

Although I personally have never worked on Minimonsta, but spoke with a friend of mine who has and he, like me, likes to make ambient tunes. He told me that he had tried to make long sustaining and ever changing bass sounds with Minimonsta but as this plugin always ended up inspiring him to create tracks on the spectrum of 130 BPM and above, he almost avoided using it for ambient. I tried putting the point that you raised, but he was quite adamant and said that this synth has immense flexibility but the signal transformation, under any control, is not very gradual.

Anyway that was one man's personnel opinion, and that certainly makes all the sense to him. Now I realize that in jiffy I couldnt manage to rethink what I am asking for. Thanx for reminding me.

--------------------
SoundCloud

ZukanModerator
Zukan

Re: Plugin Inquiry: Bassline new [Re: BJG145]
      #846538 - 14/07/10 10:29 AM
Quote BJG145:

Highly underrated and one of the best low end vstis out there.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

gryfyx

Re: Plugin Inquiry: Bassline new [Re: Zukan]
      #846723 - 15/07/10 01:50 AM
Quote Zukan:

Quote BJG145:

I was a bit reluctant to say that but I thought about posting a similar opinion. The reason I chose to remain quite was Albino 3, It might stink for bass, but had been frequently used by me for the construction of pads. Else Papen is focussed on designing plugs mainly for Hiphop enthusiasts (not even the serious Hiphop production).

--------------------
SoundCloud

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#846770 - 15/07/10 09:17 AM
Quote AuralSerenity:

Quote Zukan:

Quote BJG145:

I was a bit reluctant to say that but I thought about posting a similar opinion. The reason I chose to remain quite was Albino 3, It might stink for bass, but had been frequently used by me for the construction of pads. Else Papen is focussed on designing plugs mainly for Hiphop enthusiasts (not even the serious Hiphop production).

Not sure about that Aural.

Bob and I have known each other from our SD days at Emu and this area of the market (SBB) was dying to be explored.

Predator is aimed more at Dance music (Trance, Techno etc), as is Blue, and Albino is a great little teaching vsti which I regularly use to tutor my students with. Hell, I even created a sound pack for it. But I agree, it's forte is in pad and ambiance and not too much on the low end. Bob and I discussed this and he felt that the coding on Predator was better and it cut through the mix fat better than Albino. I agreed with him having tried all of them.

SubBB is a great vsti and one that was much needed. If you program it right you can rattle your gnads all day.

There are other great vstis for bass and an unusual one that I like, though extreme, is Rogue. It's very cutting and nothing subtle about it. Not for low end basses a la Hip Hop but much better for Industrial or Techno.

There are others: Massive, Absynth, Arp 2600, MM etc It really comes down to how you program the sound and how you treat it.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

gryfyx

Re: Plugin Inquiry: Bassline new [Re: Zukan]
      #846826 - 15/07/10 11:57 AM
Quote Zukan:

SubBB is a great vsti and one that was much needed. If you program it right you can rattle your gnads all day.

There are other great vstis for bass and an unusual one that I like, though extreme, is Rogue. It's very cutting and nothing subtle about it. Not for low end basses a la Hip Hop but much better for Industrial or Techno.

There are others: Massive, Absynth, Arp 2600, MM etc It really comes down to how you program the sound and how you treat it.

Tell me any other plug by Papen that even come close to Albino, and frankly, even Albino is out of league of this thread as it pertains to Bass (I mean the thread, obviously). And as we talk about the league of this thread then I must say that I had put off Trilian for a while as I was too bored tweaking the same knobs, its straight and clear, Trilian, is without any doubt, the best sounding bass program in any format that I've heard.

I know that there are lot of things that one can not do in this plug, but the sound that it produces is pure authentic aural bliss to me. Sometimes I would pass the Trilian signal into Vandal Guitar Amp and would spent days to synthesize a sound and then further more days to figure out a 32 bar long progression.

Why I'm telling you this? -- Because, Zukes, I want something else to experiment with, something that should not make me wonder "Now how do I make a bass out of it?", and as for Albino - "If today I'll find a way of making bass out of this then tomorrow I can make pads out of Trilian."

Well, I've no clue about SubBB and Rogue. I tried to dig into google but got nothing. What are they?

Massive and Absynth? Yes, I love them. They are super neat.

Arp 2600 is vintage and authentic but never got a chance to work on it.
MM? Are you talking about E & MM, if you are then, I think its so vintage that its an endangered species now.

--------------------
SoundCloud

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5764

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media