Print Thread

Pages: 1
axl

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Hanging notes - please help new
      #889308 - 23/01/11 03:00 PM
Hi,
I´m having some midi trouble:
On both my Moog sp and my Roland Gaia, suddenly I have this low frequency tone that wont stop. It happened in both cases - at different times - when connecting midi to Daw (logic 9).

Can´t figure out the solution. I´m recently back into hardware synths, so I apologize in advance if there is some obvious solution to this. It is driving me crazy, though, so please help if you have thoughts on the matter. If you think its internal midi setting within my hardware gear, please be specific.

I´m wondering if it has something to do with moving to a different house - where a lot of the electrical is not grounded. I can´t remember having any issues like this in my previous - more modern - apartment.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
MarkOne

Loc: Bristol, England, Earth, Perus...
Re: Hanging notes - please help new [Re: axl]
      #889356 - 23/01/11 05:51 PM
WHat hardware are you using - MIDI interface, particularly?

--------------------
New album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!
Making of Fantasy Bridge Diary

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #889359 - 23/01/11 06:05 PM
And is it a laptop or desktop machine?

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

axl

Re: Hanging notes - please help new [Re: zenguitar]
      #889398 - 23/01/11 08:50 PM
I´ve been using USB straight into my macbook pro. I read on another forum about Logic 9 having some kind of bug that can lead to hanging/stuck notes on external midi-gear....
I really hope that´s not the case, or I will have to change DAW - to pro tools, probably.

Exalted Wombat

#889401 - 23/01/11 09:25 PM
This is definitely a MIDI note, playing the sound currently selected on the synth, and coming out of the audio system connected to the synth's audio output?

Otherwise I don't think we're looking for a stuck MIDI note.

axl

Re: Hanging notes - please help new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #889405 - 23/01/11 09:53 PM
Actually, it probably isnt a midi note per se, but it´s a low frequency tone. On the Gaia, for example, I can play notes on top of it, change presets etc, but still that low frequency tone keeps sounding.

Exalted Wombat

#889417 - 23/01/11 10:54 PM
I think we're looking at a ground loop then. Or maybe a lack-of-ground loop, if that makes sense! Of course, changing your software won't make any difference.

If your power supply isn't grounded, can you do anything about it? Make up a distribution board for your audio gear fed from the usual power socket but with the addition of a ground connection from e.g. a water pipe. Just check with a local electrician that this won't cause safety issues - different countries arrange mains power in different ways, and I haven't a clue how it's done in Oslo. But, if your home DID have a ground connection, there's a fair bet that would be how it's derived. And as the whole issue comes from it being an older building, hopefully the metal water pipes WILL reach ground. In a modern building they're likely to go into plastic at some point (giving a whole different set of issues regarding cross-bonding of water and gas pipes). So do check with that electrician!

axl

Re: Hanging notes - please help [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #889423 - 23/01/11 11:21 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will check that out, and post the results.

axl

#901761 - 17/03/11 07:29 PM
Just thought I´d mention that I had an electrician drag a grounded cable into my "project studio" and now everything is working fine. So if anyone is experiencing midi-madness similar to mine, check out the state of your electricity.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5482

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media