Main Forums >> Keyboards & Synthesis
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
RishiP

programming 'wobble' bass in reason new
      #888154 - 18/01/11 01:19 AM
Hello

I am trying to program a dubstep type bass in reason on the subtractor. I want the LFO low-pass filter to start on the low end on keypress (to get the "woowoowoo" sound. It seems to start wherever, is there anyway to make it start on one end of the filter on every kepress?

Thanks
Rishi

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
~Paul

Loc: South Herts/North London
Re: programming 'wobble' bass in reason new [Re: RishiP]
      #888156 - 18/01/11 01:28 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jnZ1EwvW88&
Any good?

Paul

--------------------
Paul

RishiP

Re: programming 'wobble' bass in reason new [Re: ~Paul]
      #888186 - 18/01/11 07:35 AM
almost,

I understand how to create a wobble, but I want to make sure on every key press it starts on the low, so it sounds like "wowowow" instead of starting with "owowow", if that makes any sense (try sounding it out). On the microkorg there is an LFO key sync, but it starts on the high end of the filter (i.e. owowow), but Ive made a perfect sounding patch on the subtractor in reason except for the "key sync", i.e. it starts on the "ow" sound. I hope what I'm asking makes sense although i do understand when describing these sounds it may not be perfect.

Thanks for your hekp,
Rishi

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #888201 - 18/01/11 09:41 AM
Well I don't know Subtractor or any of the synths is Reason for that but can you adjust the LFO start phase?
If you can problem solved..

Edited by vinyl_junkie (18/01/11 09:47 AM)

SecretSam

Loc: Officially, I do not exist.
      #888499 - 19/01/11 02:35 PM
... and another reply from someone who also doesn't know Reason well :-)

If you record the sound, then import into a sampler, you should be able to adjust the start position used when the sample is played back, thus chopping off the first bit of the LFO shape and effectively changing its phase. Or if the Reason samplers don't support adjusting the start position, then you could do the fiddling in a wave editor.

A bit of a drag, but probably better than watching telly.

--------------------
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

ElectronicMusicMaker

#893676 - 10/02/11 12:48 AM
Did you find a solution? Know its a bit late but I've just read this post - would it be something as simple as adjusting the filter envelopes? Push the attack slider up a bit to slow the attack to get your 'wow' on the start of the note. Hope this helps.

~Paul

Loc: South Herts/North London
Re: programming 'wobble' bass in reason new [Re: ElectronicMusicMaker]
      #893830 - 10/02/11 04:10 PM
Quote TrayElectric:

Did you find a solution? Know its a bit late but I've just read this post - would it be something as simple as adjusting the filter envelopes? Push the attack slider up a bit to slow the attack to get your 'wow' on the start of the note. Hope this helps.

Since this post was made, i've had a few goes at doing it myself on various synths. Both hardware, and software, including Reason. It's not difficult
The James Bernard tutorials are well worth watching, because what he shows you in there doesn't just go for Reason, or even just Thor in Reason. You can apply it to most synths.

It basically boils down to a tempo synced LFO, that is assigned to filter cut off. You can also assign that same LFO to other sound changing parameters, like resonance or wavetable movement.
So rather than manually adjusting the filter cutoff, which you'd rarely get quite in time. The tempo synced LFO takes care of that for you. You just adjust the LFO rate knob instead, which works in various musical timings.
There is another trick Reason users can use though.. James Bernard made an 'automation toolbox' Think of it as pre recorded LFO's that you can dump on an automation track for anything you want (usually filter cutoff)
The good thing about these files, is that if the LFO doesn't start exactly where you want it to, then you just shift the automation file back or forwards by the required amount. Easy!

Youtube link and toolbox download are here on the Props forum:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=131949&highlight= automation+toolbox

Reason or not though. The key is basically having an LFO that syncs to midi clock. Many but not all synths can do this..

Paul

--------------------
Paul

stevengamel

Loc: los angeles
      #902367 - 21/03/11 02:56 AM
This is much easier on something like the Native Instruments Massive. It seems to be designed for Dubstep. Or maybe thats the other way round.

--------------------
Microkorg

FatherSonAndAlcohol

Re: programming 'wobble' bass in reason [Re: RishiP]
      #903486 - 24/03/11 05:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes#p/u/15/rSOqqmnbgZM

I don't think this will work in Subtractor since the LFO rate has to be displayed in Hertz. I think you can use Thor for this.

What he does is he calculates synced rates in Hertz using a formula that utilises the BPM of the track. You may not get spot on values but it enables you to slide between synced rates smoothly rather than instantly. It's not something I would use for every sound, but it sounds pretty cool sometimes.

Cheers.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/father-son-and-alcohol

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5241

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media