Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
dickiefunk

Loc: Cornwall, UK
NEW JBL PRX 700 and NEW Mackie SRM series speakers?
      #1060959 - 07/08/13 08:38 AM
Hi,

I noticed that JBL and Mackie have both released new ranges of pa speakers :-

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/General/ProductFamily.aspx?FId=121&MId=3

http://www.mackie.com/products/srm-series-loudspeakers/

Wondering how these will compare to existing products from Yamaha, EV, RCF and FBT!?

Also LD Systems have a new DDQ range and have the matching subs coming soon!

http://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/ddq-series/

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
OneEng

Loc: MI
Re: NEW JBL PRX 700 and NEW Mackie SRM series speakers? new [Re: dickiefunk]
      #1061077 - 08/08/13 01:19 AM
1500W ..... 1600W ..... Seriously, have they no shame

My take on the new JBL's is that they are heavier (good by neo drivers ), more expensive (wasn't removing the neo supposed to make then less expensive?), and better cooled than their PRX6XX brethren.

I suspect they will sound just as good, possibly a bit better due to better processing. They have also included a standby mode (QSC already has this feature in the K and KW line) which should help with heat production as well.

I haven't been a big fan of the Mackie SRM's, but I will have to go give these a good listen. I don't suspect that I will be wanting to get rid of my venerable Yamaha DSR112's, but I like to stay informed

TheChorltonWheelie

Re: NEW JBL PRX 700 and NEW Mackie SRM series speakers? new [Re: OneEng]
      #1061089 - 08/08/13 07:54 AM
Quote OneEng:

You mean they have no sense of the truth.

Mackie have always, since time began, vastly over-exaggerated the output of their speakers.

At least they have EAW tuning their boxes now, and they're making them from wood again, but like every Mackie release of the last 10 years it'll be plagued with disappointment and unreliability.

OneEng

Loc: MI
Re: NEW JBL PRX 700 and NEW Mackie SRM series speakers? new [Re: TheChorltonWheelie]
      #1061218 - 09/08/13 12:28 AM
Quote TheChorltonWheelie:

Quote OneEng:

You mean they have no sense of the truth.

Mackie have always, since time began, vastly over-exaggerated the output of their speakers.

At least they have EAW tuning their boxes now, and they're making them from wood again, but like every Mackie release of the last 10 years it'll be plagued with disappointment and unreliability.

Oh, they aren't lying. They are deceiving. They are putting an 800W amp into a HF driver that consumes only around 150W. The SPL isn't any different than if they were using a HF amp of only 150W, but it is still technically accurate for them to say that it is a "1600W" powered speaker. It simply doesn't mean anything.

Most people are purchasing the speaker without the knowledge of how this works. It is just a marketing ploy.

The next one is how they calculate SPL Anything and everything to sell.

Datarhyme

Loc: London
Re: NEW JBL PRX 700 and NEW Mackie SRM series speakers? new [Re: OneEng]
      #1063428 - 23/08/13 12:49 PM
I was aware that Mackie had updated their SRM range but just found about the JBL PRX range today. As you say, 1500w per box is deceiving. Its all about cutting cost as it is far cheaper to source the same amp and use it twice.

Does anyone know if Mackie have addressed their reliability problems?

--------------------
Datarhyme - PA Hire, Live Sound & Events

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3379

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media