Main Forums >> Mac Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Guitarmoog

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
New iMac Fusion Drive problems - with fusion drive splitting solution new
      #1074847 - 17/11/13 03:31 PM
Only my second post on the forums, but I thought I'd share a difficult experience in case its of use to anyone else.

The headlines in short are don't buy a new Mac with a fusion drive if you're going to use it for audio. If you already have, and are experiencing the widely reported problems, there's a fix that has worked for me.

I bought a new late-2013 iMac with 3TB fusion drive to be the centre of a home recording setup. It is running Mavericks 10.9. However, with two different interfaces (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and Motu 896 mk3 Hybrid) a) all recordings in Logic would descend into a crackling mess after 5-10 seconds and eventually no sound would be recorded, and b) any audio played back in logic, iTunes, or through youtube would eventually do the same. Having updated the drivers on everything, tried every different USB and Thunderbolt port, including a USB hub, removed all hard drives, updated all the software and reinstalled Logic, the problem still persisted.

All the interfaces worked fine on a MB Air, and on my old (2009) iMac.

My local Apple service centre said that they couldn't see any reason why it would be the fusion drive, and thought it could be the USB bus or the interface. As I'd tried two different interfaces by different manufacturers, on FW/thunderbolt and USB, and my other peripherals were working fine, this seemed unlikely.

People on other forums had potentially tracked the problem down to the fusion drive, and many people seem to have returned their iMacs to have the drive replaced with a conventional drive. Another potential solution seemed to be to split the Fusion Drive into its constituent 128 GB flash drive and 3TB conventional drive. After a couple of weeks of frustration , I was willing to try almost anything.

Having done a full backup with time machine to a clean external drive, I tried splitting the fusion drive using the method explained here http://www.macworld.com/article/2015664/how-to-split-up-a-fusion-drive.htm l and, despite it being pretty nerve-wracking, 2 days in it seems to have worked fine. I also have the additional bonus of a spare internal flash drive as I restored to the conventional drive.

I don't know if this is reversible, so proceed with extreme caution, and make sure you have proper backups. I made sure i had a backup on a networked Time Machine drive and a second on a USB3 drive. I also unplugged everything from the iMac before starting. The process took 20 minutes, plus about 3 hours to restore the backup.

If you have this problem, this fix may work for you, but note that I have no idea whether or not it affects the AppleCare warranty. If you don't, and are thinking of buying a new mac, I'd advise avoiding getting a Fusion drive.

--------------------
Zinne Studios - Tiny recording studio in Brussels, Belgium. www.zinnestudios.be

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: New iMac Fusion Drive problems - with fusion drive splitting solution new [Re: Guitarmoog]
      #1074960 - 18/11/13 10:41 AM
There is along thread on GS about the problem and it does seem the new iMacs with Fusion drive aren't up to the job.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

G-Doubleyou

Re: New iMac Fusion Drive problems - with fusion drive splitting solution [Re: Richie Royale]
      #1075056 - 18/11/13 05:23 PM
Exactly what Richie said, also some machines have USB issues.

The Fusion uses firmware to determine frequently used files, the firmware will always be on, it will always be looking at files on your system drive, and moving the frequently used files to flash memory.

Evidently it's not compatible for realtime recording or playback of audio/ video.

Some people, have had the Fusion drives replaced with SSDs, and Standard hard drives.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

randallpacker

Re: New iMac Fusion Drive problems - with fusion drive splitting solution new [Re: Guitarmoog]
      #1079925 - 18/12/13 02:36 PM
I am currently in touch with Apple to find a solution to the Fusion Drive problem. It doesn't seem to work with most audio interfaces. Given that this is the "high performance" hard drive for the iMac, I am hoping Apple will figure out how to resolve the problem.

The Audio Detective

Re: New iMac Fusion Drive problems - with fusion drive splitting solution new [Re: randallpacker]
      #1080253 - 20/12/13 01:29 PM
Would it make any difference if you used something like the Saffire Pro14 Thunderbolt audio interface?

Just a thought, I'm having issues with my m-audio Fastrack C400 after upgrading to maverick on a late 2012 27" imac

Guitarmoog

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
      #1080350 - 21/12/13 10:35 AM
I very much doubt it. The Saffires are not actually Thunderbolt interfaces, but can be connected to TB using the Apple FW-TB adaptor. The problem seems to be with the way the software uses the Fusion drive.

To update, I've had zero problems running both a Scarlett 18i20 and a Motu 896mk3 since I split the drive.

--------------------
Zinne Studios - Tiny recording studio in Brussels, Belgium. www.zinnestudios.be

G-Doubleyou

Re: New iMac Fusion Drive problems - with fusion drive splitting solution new [Re: randallpacker]
      #1080371 - 21/12/13 03:31 PM
Quote randallpacker:

I am currently in touch with Apple to find a solution to the Fusion Drive problem. It doesn't seem to work with most audio interfaces. Given that this is the "high performance" hard drive for the iMac, I am hoping Apple will figure out how to resolve the problem.

It's not just the Fusion Drive, there's a huge thread on the new imacs at Gearslutz, an Apogee employee joined the thread.

The real issue appears to be the new Intel chipset, some have had success with Thunderbolt and USB2 hubs.

Apogee Symphony works with the Thunderbolt option.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Jeraldo

Re: New iMac Fusion Drive problems - with fusion drive splitting solution new [Re: G-Doubleyou]
      #1080382 - 21/12/13 06:52 PM
Quote G-Doubleyou:

The real issue appears to be the new Intel chipset, some have had success with Thunderbolt and USB2 hubs.

What other *new* devices have the chipset in doubt?

MBP Retina, MBP non Retina, MB Air, Mini's?

Dishpan

Re: New iMac Fusion Drive problems - with fusion drive splitting solution new [Re: Jeraldo]
      #1080455 - 22/12/13 05:50 PM
/Rant on

It's nearly 2014 not the 1990s and it's pathetic that users have to put up with untested, unreliable crap. Inbuilt drives that don't work for audio (nobody at Apple actually tested them??), USB ports that don't work properly (nobody at Apple tested them??), OS updates that keep breaking plugins meaning they need to be rewritten etc. etc. etc.

Really is an utter shambles

/Rant off

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 14254

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media