Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Pangloss

Loc: London
Groove Tubes Valve Mic - Cable Type?
      #382217 - 17/11/06 09:01 PM
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Groove Tubes Model 1B valve mic from ebay, which I was happy about as I have wanted one for a long time now. The thing is though that it didn't come with the mic-to-power suppply lead as I expected and I am beginning to resign myself to having to buy one.

I don't really want to pay over 45 quid for a cable so I want to make one up.

It is a male-to-female, 7-pin Neutrik XLR-type lead, of which 6 contacts are used (I presume 2 for the valve power, 2 for the phantom power and 2 for the signal - if this is wrong someone please correct me).

If this is the case, what type of cable will be the correct type to use?

Should the signal strands be shielded as they are running along side power strands (albeit DC)? Or is it OK to use all unshielded strands?

I have looked at Maplin and Studiospares catalogues and I haven't seen anything which jumps out at me.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Alec

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
Re: Groove Tubes Valve Mic - Cable Type? new [Re: Pangloss]
      #382285 - 18/11/06 12:14 AM
Probably not premium quality cable but would this one get you going?

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #382302 - 18/11/06 02:23 AM
Quote Pangloss:

It is a male-to-female, 7-pin Neutrik XLR-type lead, of which 6 contacts are used (I presume 2 for the valve power, 2 for the phantom power and 2 for the signal - if this is wrong someone please correct me).

There won't be any phantom power for a start. Two wires will certainly be for the balanced mic output signal, and they need to be a twisted pair, possibly with a separate overall screen. A third connection will be for that audio earth.

Then there will probably be two more for the valve heater. That makes five so far. And one more for the anode voltage (probably using the audio earth for the return).

However, there are variations on the theme, so you really do need to make sure you know what is on what wire and what the cable construction is if you want the mic to recah the published specs.

Also, bear in mind that the anode voltage could be a hundred volts or more, so the soldering needs to be neat and reliable, and the pions need to be sleeved properly.

Quote:

Should the signal strands be shielded as they are running along side power strands (albeit DC)? Or is it OK to use all unshielded strands?

Individual wires can be unshielded because the power rails are usually all DC (although the heaters could be 50Hz AC). There will certainly be an overall screen though. Some cables shield the aduio pair separately.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Steve Hill

Loc: Oxfordshire
      #382338 - 18/11/06 09:25 AM
Hugh - before the original poster seizes on my suggestion to get a cheapo Thomann cable as a stopgap, do you know if there is any official convention (AES?) about pin wiring these 7 pin cables? So (assuming all use Neutrik plugs) are the cables interchangeable between say an AKG Solidtube, a Neumann M147, a Groove Tubes, a T-bone etc?

In short, is there any chance of an inconsistency which could result in say the valve heater power going to the mic capsule with unfortunate results? A brief google search drew a blank. And this thread got me thinking that it might not be a bad plan to have one or two spare 7-pin cables in the studio....

--------------------
Dynamite with a laser beam...

Pangloss

Loc: London
      #382348 - 18/11/06 10:03 AM
Thanks Hugh, thanks Steve,

Yes I suppose what I was really asking is whether or not there is a convention for this kind of thing. Given the way that even with 3-pin XLRs many people can't agree on which is hot or cold or whether to include the shield in the signal path etc. I just thought it safer not to make any assumption for 7-pin XLRs.

However, the Thomann cable at that price looks more tempting than getting the soldering iron out. Thanks for the link Steve. It will be very handy if that is suitable in my case.

Thanks Hugh for the info - yes I forgot about valve heaters. Which voltage is used to provide the potential to the capsule? Is that the anode voltage you mentioned?

Sorry to sound thick - I've never taken one of these apart before.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2078

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media