Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Dan B

Loc: London
CAD M179 compared with other mics (e.g. AKG 414, AT4050)?
      #501905 - 14/08/07 04:23 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone's compared these mics with any others.

Technical specs and various reviews suggest that this is an amazing mic for the money (can be had for under £150), a workhorse that punches above its weight, etc, etc. Low noise, relatively flat frequency response, etc. all in its favour. It's also gained a reputation as the tom mic of choice amongst several pros (very tight hypercardiod pattern, great low frequency response). Also good outside kick. And a general jack (if not master) of all.

What I'm wondering is - given that you generally get what you pay for - whether it's too good to be true?

How would it compare to a more expensive multipattern LDC, e.g. AT4050, AKG 414 XLS? Or even CADs more expensive offerings (e.g. e300, e350, M9, VX2). What benefits do you get from spending (considerably!) more - greater depth? Imaging? Transient response? Has anyone actually done these comparisons?

Yes, it's another chinese made mic. But does it actually live up to the hype, or should I been saving my pennies for the big boys toys?

(BTW, I've got some on order anyway as they seem like handy mics to have; unfortunately I don't have any really high end mics to do a comparison with (having sold off a few, currently just 2 x Studio Projects C4s, AT4033a, SM57, Rode K2). I'll be using them principally for M/S on acoustic guitar, but probably also various vocalists, various percussion, drums, strings, etc)

Thanks for responses,
D

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Sheriton

Loc: Leicester, UK
Re: CAD M179 compared with other mics (e.g. AKG 414, AT4050)? new [Re: Dan B]
      #501956 - 14/08/07 05:38 PM
There's another thread, started just a couple of days back, asking almost exactly the same question. Have a search for that as there are some useful comments in there.

--------------------
There's nothing we can't face... Except for bunnies

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #501983 - 14/08/07 06:35 PM
Yup, I have two 179s. I have compared them with 414s, and there is little to choose, sometimes I prefer one, sometimes the other. Usually I prefer the CADs. Ohh, the Sacrilege!

What I especially like about 179s:

Great overheads live
Great on flute live
Relly good as a single mic live, for pro blue-grassers, etc. who can move well.
Fab on studio Celtic harp.
It's REALLY nice to change polar patterns continuously from one to another, and without bangs and pops . Try that on a 414: Ouch!

Price, as mentioned is good. But that's an extra. The mics are great all-rounders, and good on almost anything.

Any negatives? Can be a wee bit bright, right on axis, but so can many LDCs, including some 'pro' stalwarts. Does not come with a shock-mount as standard, and has American threads, so will only screw into the rest of the world's shock-mounts a few turns, but it's not a problem, you just need to be careful. But, you are careful, anyway, aren't you?

G

--------------------
Next on with Pembrokeshire Intimate Gigs

Aural Reject

Loc: Lancashire
Re: CAD M179 compared with other mics (e.g. AKG 414, AT4050)? new [Re: Guy Johnson]
      #501987 - 14/08/07 06:40 PM
Another -ve is the continuously variable polar pattern can make it different to reproduce between sessions, and would make two of them difficult to match as a stereo pair.

Another +ve is that it's got a continuously variable polar pattern which can be useful in difficult situations

topten

Loc: Dublin
      #501995 - 14/08/07 06:47 PM
this link might be of interest to you

Aural Reject

#501998 - 14/08/07 06:52 PM
0VU's probably the man to answer the original comparison question as I know he's either used or owns the majority of the mics you've got in mind (so the 414s, AT4050 and the other CADs)....but he's not around at the minute to chime in.

He did however recommend the M179 to me as a 'jobbing' mic (I believe he bought a few when he was overseas)....which in my understanding meant that they're useful to have around should you find yourself running out of mics with an increasing number of sources they can do a perfectly adequate job. The first -ve I made in the above post would preclude me from using them as a main pair on anything though.

So far I haven't bought any - although I'm still considering it - as I'm still trying to build up the more well known brand mic collection...

He also mentioned that they can be had for peanuts if you're willing to import them from the States.

Dan B

Re: CAD M179 compared with other mics (e.g. AKG 414, AT4050)? new [Re: Guy Johnson]
      #502000 - 14/08/07 06:52 PM
Thanks Guy for the comments on the M179 vs the 414. Very helpful!
From what I've heard they're a poor man's 414 - but not necessarily worse! Seems to tally with your experience. Thanks so much for the post. (I've ordered mine with the CAD shockmounts).
I'm curious as to why you favour it for live (presumably only live, and not studio) flute, bluegrassers and overheads?
By bluegrassers who can move well, I assume you mean with good mic technique in terms of relative position and distance of the guitar from the mic (?)

As for it being discussed on other threads, I've not been able to find much. There's mention of the M179 here in the context of piano micing:
http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MRT&Number=49787 8&Searchpage=1&Main=497851&Words=M179&topic=&Search=true#Post497878 buy no user feedback on the M179 itself, just a bunch of "spend more" (without explaining the additional benefit, other than that presumably "more = better") or suggestions for non-LDC or non-multipattern mics (valid in the context).

I'm curious to know what benefits you get from spending more. These mics seem to "punch well above their weight" / "great bang for buck" etc, so I'm guessing you'd have to spend substantially more (I'd love a pair of CAD VX2s!) but I'm not sure the difference would be justified. I would guess you'd get a more 3D effect with more expensive mics - the kind of quality that isn't measurable in technical specs.

As a slight offshoot, it seems occasionally there are products that genuinely are fantastic sounding and are in the same league (outperform?) the truly pro price tag gear.

Examples that spring to my mind are:
1) DAV preamps
2) back in 1998 the Ensoniq PARIS (which sounded vastly better than ProTool did back then and was 1/3 or less of the price)
3) Larrivee guitars

[I'd be tempted to add AT4033a (c.£150) and possibly the SPL Gold Mike I (c£250), but they're more subjective and less clear cut - so I'd be at risk of diluting my argument]

I'm lucky enough to own all of the above - fingers crossed I can add the CAD in at no. 4.

Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

D

Dan B

#502005 - 14/08/07 06:56 PM
Thanks for the other comments too!
I'm pretty sure the "continuously" variable pattern is detented, so you can repeat sessions based on number of clicks on the dial.
They can be had in the US for $149 including a shockmount (or $169 with cable and pop screen) (try evilbay). Add in postage, VAT, etc and you're looking at £110 ish.
Tempted yet?

Aural Reject

#502013 - 14/08/07 07:05 PM
I've been thinking about it for ages.....but I've got another TLM170R, various Schoeps bits and pieces and a U89 to get first

Aural Reject

Re: CAD M179 compared with other mics (e.g. AKG 414, AT4050)? new [Re: Aural Reject]
      #502015 - 14/08/07 07:06 PM
Oh, and probably an R84

Dan B

Re: CAD M179 compared with other mics (e.g. AKG 414, AT4050)? new [Re: Aural Reject]
      #502017 - 14/08/07 07:11 PM
lol. why not get a couple of CAD VX2s and maybe some U47s and 67s too, whilst you're at it.

As for the M179s, £220 for a stereo pair ... go-waaaaaaaan
that's the kind of logic i couldn't resist (my pair of MKH40s is officially on hold!)

Of course, if anyone wants to swap their VX2s for my M179s - or simply donate them - you make me immensly happy

Aural Reject

#502023 - 14/08/07 07:24 PM
I've alledgedly got a VX2 on the way on loan....if the power supply issue it's got get sorted out....I'll let you know what I think then.

Incidentaly, the mic that's missing off the original list you put up is another of 0VU's favourites - the Beyer MC740. He lent me one a while ago and I've used it as a solo mic on brass almost exclusively since that time....try one if you get chance.

Sheriton

Loc: Leicester, UK
      #502096 - 14/08/07 09:25 PM
Quote Aural Reject:

Another -ve is the continuously variable polar pattern can make it different to reproduce between sessions, and would make two of them difficult to match as a stereo pair.

Unless you're using them for MS...

Only the cardioid position is detented; the rest are a continuous adjustment.

--------------------
There's nothing we can't face... Except for bunnies

Guy Johnson

#502130 - 14/08/07 10:22 PM
OK. I've used them for stereo pairs, no problem at all. They are really good. Would I, given the chance, swap them for two 414s? No way.

G

--------------------

Aural Reject

#502134 - 14/08/07 10:28 PM
Quote Guy Johnson:

OK. I've used them for stereo pairs, no problem at all. They are really good. Would I, given the chance, swap them for two 414s? No way.

G

Fairy nuff

As I hoped I was implying, I haven't got any....and was guessing the matching may be a PITA....obviously not

Dan B

#502318 - 15/08/07 09:51 AM
Quote Guy Johnson:

G

Interesting! What's the reasoning?

If they're of comparable quality to the 414s - which also have a reputation as a good allrounder, but are also popular as overheads and on acoustic guitar) - I'm wondering why I've heard very little about people using the CAD M179 in this role. Particularly interested in experiences with acoustic guitar (especially vs other mics). I'm thinking they might make a nice MS pair (omni and fig 8).

Thanks,
D

Guy Johnson

#502320 - 15/08/07 09:53 AM
As I'm not a 'purista' I don't worry too much about Severe Matching. I just go by (and learn by ) the audible results I get. I've had good results with the CAD mics. I usually just use cardioid, in the middle (detented) or fig. 8 or Omni (each end of the adjustment) or when monitoring with enclosed headphones, or using them live, I play around with the intermediate settings.

Dan, I like them recording flute and overheads as well; its just they seem extra good in the live–gig context.

G

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3143

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media