Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Rags

Song suggestions for beginner bass player???
      #603204 - 12/04/08 05:37 PM
Hi all

I come from a guitar playing background but I recently took possession of my first electric bass - a lovely '72 Precision blonde......love it & it plays great!!

So far I've been tinkering away learning the basslines to a few of my favourite songs, but I'm still in my guitarist frame of mind, not a bassist's.

Can anyone suggest a few songs with decent basslines that will help me to start 'thinking' like a bassist? Songs to get me grooving rather than just playing like I would on rhythm guitar???

An example would be Brown Eyed Girl - not my favourite song by any means, but a lot of fun to play.

So throw your suggestions please!! (obviously nothing too complicated at this stage)

Ta

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ryan mead

Loc: Seoul
Re: Song suggestions for beginner bass player??? new [Re: Rags]
      #603291 - 12/04/08 11:56 PM
It's not a song suggestion, but I found the information on playing technique (string muting etc.) on this page very useful.

hth
rd

superchimp

Loc: cheltenham
      #603292 - 13/04/08 12:05 AM
OK....hold the bus!........play the way you find natural...do not go out of your way to change your style unless all you want to do is copy the classics and if so great but if not then stay original........make some drum loops up and jam to them but most of all get and play with a real drummer as this will improve your playing no end..........have fun!

fletcher

Loc: london
      #603347 - 13/04/08 11:05 AM
The Chicken

This is a JB's track written by Pee Wee Ellis but it was made more famous by Jaco Pastorius.

It has a great groove and can be played in a simple way, but once the chords start to change you can find endless ways to play through it, limited only by your ability.

It will also require you to "think" like a bass player- being a guitarist myself I know what you mean about getting away from sounding like a guitarist playing bass! It can be done and is rewarding once you have the two hats to wear.

Soulgreed

Loc: Airdrie/Glasgow
      #603398 - 13/04/08 01:03 PM
anything by james brown...

Parker Fly

#603491 - 13/04/08 05:39 PM
"Mr Pink" or "Kansas City Milkman"..... ;-)

juche

Loc: London
Re: Song suggestions for beginner bass player??? new [Re: ryan mead]
      #603516 - 13/04/08 06:42 PM
Quote ryan mead:

It's not a song suggestion, but I found the information on playing technique (string muting etc.) on this page very useful.

hth
rd

You're right, that is very good. I can't believe how little information there was when I started to learn 23 years ago compared to today.
Although it is not easy by any means, the Motown book (Standing in the Shadows of Motown), which is about James Jamerson, is one of the best ways to hear how great bass works with pop songs. It comes with Cd's with and without the bass and ranges from easy to very difficult. A bonus is the variety of world-class bass players providing bass parts. And man could Jamerson kick ass on bass

Stonehousestudio

Loc: Exeter
Re: Song suggestions for beginner bass player??? new [Re: juche]
      #603572 - 13/04/08 10:17 PM
'Peaches' Jean Jacques rights a mean Bassline

Octopussy

Loc: Melbourneo
      #603609 - 14/04/08 02:12 AM
Hi Rags,

Like you I started on guitar but made a transition to bass. I loved it so much that it became my main instrument for many years.

The bass is one of those instruments where you play and people feel your playing. To get in the spirit of the bass get yourself the 101 Bass tips book and get yourself some inspirational cd's and dvd's.

For songs that you might both inspire you and get you thinking bass...

Beatles ... Taxman, Back in the USSR, Come Together

Rolling Stones ... I used to Love her but it's All Over Now, Miss You

The Who ... Won't get Fooled Again, Boris The Spider (hehe)

The Police ... Bring on the Night, I Can't Stand Loosing You and many more

The Blues Brothers ... their live cd's etc have a load of amazing classic soul, old school R&B and Blues standards that are full of amazing basslines that are full of feel and are fun to play.

Just remember to play with even dynamics ie no notes that dissappear or are much quieter than others and to stick to the beat. There are too many players out there who lag behind the beat to hide in the music and not contribute.

Best and enjoy,
octopussy

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2901

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media