Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
JohnnyUtah

Dithering drum samples... ?
      #816229 - 03/03/10 03:26 AM
Hi, I don't post here very often but I've been a SOS reader for a very long time. I need some advice, so hope you good people can help

I bought an old Yamaha A3000 sampler because they're so cheap (now that software samplers have killed the hardware smapler market). I have a lot of one-shot drum samples I want to load into it, but the sampler only allows 16-bit samples, whereas most of the wavs I have are 24-bit. Not a big deal, I can batch truncate them, but I'm not sure if I should add dither or not. Is that just for a final project mix-down? I mean, if I do it at this sample level, then use the samples in a track, then dither again, won't I be adding two layers of dither?

I've never been really clear on this, and I have heard opposing arguments. Can anyone offer a definitive answer?

Cheers, Johnny

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
DaleSmith

Loc: Hull, UK
Re: Dithering drum samples... ? new [Re: JohnnyUtah]
      #816230 - 03/03/10 03:43 AM
Im prepared to be shot down in flames here, but I wouldn't.

I don't think it would make a great deal of difference if you did have 2 layers of Dither, but I personally wouldn't bother in this situation.

I'd be more concerned with retaining the maximum dynamic range you can. Get as much level into the sampler as you can without clipping, and you probably won't even here the difference.

chris...

#816231 - 03/03/10 04:19 AM
You should dither anytime you reduce wordlength.

It seems you've heard about only dithering at mixdown - that's because, ideally, you would work with more than 16bits at all stages, and only convert down to 16bit at final mixdown. But, as you're going down to 16bit at this earlier stage, technically you should be dithering then, even if you'll be dithering again later.

However, as Dale says, it's unlikely to be very noticeable in this situation.

JohnnyUtah

Re: Dithering drum samples... ? new [Re: chris...]
      #816233 - 03/03/10 05:28 AM
That's great guys, thanks for the info. With most of these samples being commercial releases and already "optimised", they nearly all peak at 0db, leaving no room for dither without clipping. Should I reduce the gain before dithering, and if so, by how much (and how much will dither add exactly)? and is there a particular dither algorithm which would be better suited for drum hits? Perhaps a low level dither?

Sorry for all these questions, I just want to get it right the first time!

adam miller

#816235 - 03/03/10 06:29 AM
Life's too short! Truncate away, there are far more important sonic battles to pick in the production process than dithering your drum samples.

Ad

Jack Ruston

#816254 - 03/03/10 08:30 AM
Or look at it the other way: why not add dither?

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

Jack Ruston

#816256 - 03/03/10 08:35 AM
Actually, thinking about it, if they're imported straight from cd with no other processing applied, the eight extra bits would just be zeros so you could remove them without causing distortion. But if any gain change, compression, eq etc has been applied at 24bit you'll have increased the meaningful word length and so need to dither.

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

JohnnyUtah

#816266 - 03/03/10 09:01 AM
So I'm getting that I should dither... so that's what I'll do. I think iZotope RX has a dither clip prevention, "noise peak limiting", so I'll just activate that. Thanks for your help!

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3523

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media