Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
workshop05

getting cubase essential 5 to recognise my allen & heath zed 10 new
      #913106 - 08/05/11 05:12 PM
Hello, I have been trying to link my Allen & Heath zed 10fx to my Cubase essential5. I have done all in the 'device setup' correctly (I think) but can't get any signal into Cubase on my project! any help would be great. Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mowens800

Re: getting cubase essential 5 to recognise my allen & heath zed 10 new [Re: workshop05]
      #913109 - 08/05/11 05:35 PM
Have you pressed F4 and setup your inputs?

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: getting cubase essential 5 to recognise my allen & heath zed 10 new [Re: workshop05]
      #913146 - 08/05/11 10:46 PM
Quote workshop05:

Hello, I have been trying to link my Allen & Heath zed 10fx to my Cubase essential5. I have done all in the 'device setup' correctly (I think) but can't get any signal into Cubase on my project! any help would be great. Thanks

Hi,
I have Cubase E4 and a ZED10FX usb and I just tried it and you are right! I cannot at the moment get the Z to show as a usb device. Switching to Samplitude SE8 not a problem, shows as "USB CODEC" and a mic blips the meters.

It might well be that you will have to try "ASIO4all" to get Cubase to play ball. If you really can't sort it PM me and we wil struggle together!

I run Cubase from the mixer via a 2496 because virtully everything we do starts off as 24bits/44.1kHz and the A&H is 16bits only. I have done 16bit recordings with it in Sam and it is a very GOOD 16bit system, but still only 16bits (IYSWIM!).

As an aside. I chose the mixer for other reasons, build quality, review reccies, high Z inputs and the usb part I could not care less about, but! Would it have put an enormous cost onto the mixer to make it 24bits? 44.1/ 48kHz would have done me!

I am considering Essential 6 (E4 does not like W7/64!)anything known?

Dave.

ef37a

#913409 - 10/05/11 06:23 AM
Yup!
ASIO4all sorts it. I have just installed the app' and fired up Cubase, gone to Device Setup and there is ASIO4all as a driver option, selected it. On the taskbar, near the clock, is a geen square, open that and I get an option, M-A Delta or USB Device, selected usb and now a mic blips the meter.

I shall keep this setup for a day or two should you want further help.

Dave.

Kolakube

Loc: Geordieland
      #917051 - 30/05/11 10:31 PM
?? Not sure im understanding this thread.

I have the Zed 16 what is a firewire mixer and audio interface in one.

It sounds like you are tying to use your Zed 10 as an audio interface (Unless I have read you wrong). Im not sure you can do that.
IE 10 x separate channels into DAW via USB.

Sorry if ive misunderstood

--------------------
(Sent via my iPhone and no doubt riddled with typos as a result)

ef37a

Re: getting cubase essential 5 to recognise my allen & heath zed 10 new [Re: Kolakube]
      #917075 - 31/05/11 06:36 AM
Quote kolakube:

?? Not sure im understanding this thread.

I have the Zed 16 what is a firewire mixer and audio interface in one.

It sounds like you are tying to use your Zed 10 as an audio interface (Unless I have read you wrong). Im not sure you can do that.
IE 10 x separate channels into DAW via USB.

Sorry if ive misunderstood

Yes Kolakube you have misunderstood.

The ZED10 is a usb AI and quite a good one, AFAIKS apart from the 16bit limitation.
The device will show up in Samplitude and no doubt other DAW software but not Cubase, well not immediately anyway. Using ASIO4all fixed the problem. It might well be that trying different drivers in Cubase would have worked but I tried ASIO4all first and went no further.

BTW. Keith, unless you have a laptop you would do far better to fit a PCI soundcard. The 2496 is bombproof and sounds good. The AP192 would be even better.....

Dave.

Edited by ef37a (31/05/11 06:39 AM)

Kolakube

#917101 - 31/05/11 08:27 AM
So what exactly can you control via USB on it?

Im quite baffled. If you have to use ASIO4ALL then it is not a soundcard like the Zed 16. So what does the USB offer?

--------------------

ef37a

Re: getting cubase essential 5 to recognise my allen & heath zed 10 new [Re: Kolakube]
      #917105 - 31/05/11 08:44 AM
I am baffled by your bafflement!

The mixer is simply a usb audio interface like scores of others. It supplies a stereo mix via usb to a computer (there is also a return path but I have not investigated that, as I said, I have little use for a 16bit usb device.)

If it will help you understand better, Google for the Behringer UCA202 usb device. That is a 16bit line in usb converter, the A&H Z10 is similar (but better IMHO) in its operation but with the converter built in.

Dave.

Kolakube

#917210 - 31/05/11 02:03 PM
Dave, your talking me like I am a child. Im 37 and have been around music tech since the late 80s and the days of the Akai S1000 sampler.

I simply have never used a USB mixer before and was wanting to know the difference between my Zed 16 FW version and the USB versions.

Having never owned a USB mixer I was just after friendly conversation and information.

Im taking it your plug your outboard into the mixers analogue ins and the master bus comes out on your PC as a simple stereo pair via USB as opposed each individual track via FW on the Zed 16?

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #917266 - 31/05/11 04:26 PM
Could it be that the ZED is recognised as a device with generic Windows drivers... but the ASIO ones haven't been installed? This would explain why some apps can see it and others can't; and why ASIO4ALL enables Cubase to see it. I've had exactly that issue with a plug-and-play USB mic recently. The ZED should have ASIO drivers that can be installed IIRC...

...and for Kola, the ZED R16 is a different pot of poissons: it's a multi-channel interface + mixer; the smaller ZED series are stereo interfaces only, so you can't record separate multitracks to the DAW (though you can obviously mix all mixer inputs down to stereo and record that to your DAW).

Kolakube

Re: getting cubase essential 5 to recognise my allen & heath zed 10 new [Re: Mixedup]
      #917275 - 31/05/11 05:53 PM
Quote:

..and for Kola, the ZED R16 is a different pot of poissons: it's a multi-channel interface + mixer; the smaller ZED series are stereo interfaces only, so you can't record separate multitracks to the DAW (though you can obviously mix all mixer inputs down to stereo and record that to your DAW).

Thanks mate. Ive often wondered the difference. A&H make great mixers IMO. But there range numbering is confusing to say the least.

--------------------

ef37a

#917299 - 31/05/11 08:21 PM
I am sorry if my style* has offended you Kolakube, I can assure you it was not my intention.

The usb mixer is a fairly recent phenomenon (bannana to the first bloke to name the first one!) I always think they are a bit of a horses rearend. Always 16bit, many are reported to have noisy monitoring back from pc and they never have MIDI which means you have have yet another usb bit dangling off the computer!

Behringer actually almost made a killer usb AI/mixer in the BCA2000.If it had had just 4 discrete tracks (instead of 2 and half) better build quality and drivers that worked they would by now be cleaning up the projjy market.

*Funny how one can go weeks, months even with the same old style and then BAM! You upset someone...Again, sorry.

Dave.(BTW, wassa Akai S1000 sampler?)

Kolakube

Re: getting cubase essential 5 to recognise my allen & heath zed 10 [Re: ef37a]
      #917301 - 31/05/11 08:28 PM
Dave,

No worries. Thanks for the apology, means alot. Perhaps I just read you wrong. I attribute this to two things....

A> Dreaded electronic text, not even handwriting to go on never mind voice or non verbals.
B> The sheer amount of keyboard warriors forums are usually riddled with. As such I sometimes feel like a rescue dog. I now bite for no reason even when not properly provoked.

Akai S1000 - Mate its the machine that is responsible for the creation of Jive Bunny. Need I say more

--------------------

Kolakube

#917303 - 31/05/11 08:45 PM
Dave,

On top of the above I now realise I you are the one who kindly offered me a free mag in another sub forum.

I must publicly apologise. If I had paired the two together I would have realised your mannerisms were not hostile like i perceived.

I think from this it is me that mis read you and so it is me who is apologising.

Mickey

--------------------

ef37a

#917307 - 31/05/11 08:57 PM
Quote kolakube:

Dave,

On top of the above I now realise I you are the one who kindly offered me a free mag in another sub forum.

I must publicly apologise. If I had paired the two together I would have realised your mannerisms were not hostile like i perceived.

I think from this it is me that mis read you and so it is me who is apologising.

Mickey

OOPS! And I have gone and offered it to another bod!

First PM here gets it!

My perhaps misplaced attempts at humour sometimes fail (or often some might say!) but I am of an age and condition where I no longer give a .....

Fig! I wish to inform, learn and have a bit of fun, if I upset some burhgers on the way, sobeit. But I am not I assure you malicious.

Dave.

Kolakube

Re: getting cubase essential 5 to recognise my allen & heath zed 10 new [Re: ef37a]
      #917310 - 31/05/11 09:18 PM
lol,

No mate I didn't want it (The mag) I have limited space and am concentrating on MT first off. Give it to Nathan.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6894

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media