Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Jon Dinham

Loc: Bristol, England
Yamaha Bass?
      #958005 - 08/12/11 10:57 PM
Hiya everyone, i am joining a band and i need to buy a bass guitar. I think yamaha make good bass guitars so what is the main difference between the RBX374, RBX270 and RBX170? Or is Yamaha not the right make? I can afford up to about 280 pounds but i'd like to spend the least possible.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
twotoedsloth

Re: Yamaha Bass? new [Re: Jon Dinham]
      #958043 - 09/12/11 02:33 AM
Go to the store with a friend, and tell him your price range. Have your friend bring you all of the basses that fit in your budget, but make sure he doesn't tell you the prices. Play the basses, all of them, and then pick the one you like the most. Don't even consider the relative price or the badge on the instrument.

SecretSam

Loc: Officially, I do not exist.
      #958046 - 09/12/11 07:07 AM
I can't comment on the current Yamaha range, but I do have a couple of their basses, bought years ago (Japan-made BB5000A and Taiwan-made BB5000AF).

They play well, sound good and are very well made. Because Yamaha doesn't seem to have the cachet of some other brands (beats me why not; they make great instruments of every kind), their secondhand values tend to be low, so you can get professional-grade instruments for not a lot of money if you look around.

--------------------
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #958104 - 09/12/11 11:08 AM
Friend had a bad experience with a Yamaha bass that had active EQ. Ate batteries. I finally took it apart and found that they'd painted the inside of the electronics compartment with conductive paint which was shorting the battery out bcos they'd wired the jack's switched connection wrong. Also the nice glittery plates on headstock and body weren't glued on very well and came unstuck after a bit. And the tailpiece was slightly too far up the body so it physically wasn't possible to adjust the bottom-E bridge to be correctly intonated.

On the plus side, tone was pretty good.

Washburn are also worth looking at, in this kind of price range.

Main thing to check is what pickup type works for you - do you want the low-down rounded grunt of a humbucker, or do you want a bit more zing? Only way to find this out is by playing a few.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2867

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media