Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
paulbuk

Loc: Lancs, UK (just NE of Livercoo...
Q: Source 4-pin Shure 545D male connector - where can I get one in the UK?
      #965267 - 20/01/12 05:41 PM
I'm having a clearout and I have found an old Shure 545d which I've had since the mid '80s and found it recently in an old case in the loft, now maybe wish to re-use it, but if my memory serves me well, the 4-pin connector died and that's probably why it was stored.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement 'male' connector at a reasonable price in the UK, googling suggests it is a "Amphenol part number 91-MC4M2". But RS-Components is 'discontinued, and eBay has one via Audiospares:

ebay link - audiospares

However I'm not sure if they are the same and Audiospares can't help with my query about old gear compatibility.
I'm after a cheap price, not an overpriced US one. I may get it working with a new cable and sell on eBay.
Thanks in advance.

Paul B

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Q: Source 4-pin Shure 545D male connector - where can I get one in the UK? new [Re: paulbuk]
      #965276 - 20/01/12 06:19 PM
Is it this?

http://cpc.farnell.com/preh/71430-040/circular-din-connector-twist-lock/dp /CN00749?in_merch=Products From This Range

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

paulbuk

Re: Q: Source 4-pin Shure 545D male connector - where can I get one in the UK? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #965279 - 20/01/12 06:34 PM
Thank you Hugh, you star you!!
That does indeed look the same and certainly the same as the AudioSpares, but I'm wary of the diameter (male to female). The Shure 545D has a screw on connector, looking very similar to the one shown and past googling suggests that the connector type was popular with Ham radio geeks and high-end audiophiles. I've been recording since '84, but had never come across such connectors only having experienced XLRs.

Would someone care to enlighten me and the younger generation who may come across similar mikes at car booties, I'm sure (excuse the pun) they'll pop up since retro is again fashionable, even if only for a fiver.
Cheers,
Paul

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Q: Source 4-pin Shure 545D male connector - where can I get one in the UK? new [Re: paulbuk]
      #965281 - 20/01/12 06:41 PM
I think the internal connections are standard DIN format. The outer shell is the trickier bit. Standard Dins are push fit only. Some versions have a hook-catch arrangement a bit like an XLR. The Preh version I linked above has a bayonet action collar to lock it in place. But there are also screw-collar versions too, which is probably what you need. Binder make some.

I think this is one too:

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg03447/din-plug-locking-4p/dp/AV19808< /a>

Do you need a cable plug (pins in the central insert) or socket (sockets in the insert)?

Canford does a 3-pin Binder version which it claims it compatible with a lot of old mics:

http://www.canford.co.uk/ProductResources/ig/1767.pdf

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

paulbuk

Re: Q: Source 4-pin Shure 545D male connector - where can I get one in the UK? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #965293 - 20/01/12 08:14 PM
Indeed Hugh, it is the screw type with the bayonet groove. I'll checkout your ref docs.

Crikey, is that all it is, a 4-pin DIN?? thought it was a lot more than that!

Dropbox images:

545d-01
545d-02

I sourced it 2nd hand around '85, I had the original cable, but I think the male connectors' plastic melted at some point, then I threw it in a case. I own way too many great mikes now, but some retro in my C5/Tascam FW DAW could be nice me thinks.
(-:

Paul
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Drupal7 LAMP WebDev
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Ubuntu rocks!

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #965342 - 21/01/12 06:27 AM
That does not look like a DIN to me, the thread diameter is too big IMHO. Also the only DIN plug I have ever seen with that square pin format was the shortlived "domino" headphone DIN (probably got one somewhere!)

If you want to test out the mic before chancing a connector just find the output coil with a meter, probably read about 100Ohms if it is a lowZ mic then use a short XLR to FA lead and poke the wires in, wrap the shield to the body and gaffer it all up. A balanced LZ mic will not hum on such a small bit of unshielded lead but you might get some RF in there!

Whilst on obsolete connectors. I still have a Revox A77 remote plug, free to a deserving cause!

Dave.

paulbuk

Re: Q: Source 4-pin Shure 545D male connector - where can I get one in the UK? new [Re: ef37a]
      #965354 - 21/01/12 11:10 AM
Thank you Dave for your reply which is very helpful.
If my memory serves me correct, the male pins on the original 545D cable connector were round, though as you say the female does look square, it's more like London underground 'logo' so to speak with the male round pin element going into female. I don't remember the pins being of a similar shape, merely just round pins.

Since you mention other connectors, it just occured to me that my well worn DT100's also have a similar pin connector block on the headphone side, but of course this is a rectangular shaped block, but the connection process is the same.

Your advice on testing is very helpful and something I will look into as I have a multi-meter to hand.
Regards,

Paul B

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #965429 - 21/01/12 06:28 PM
Sorry Paul I may have misled you!

DIN pins are always round AFAIK what I meant was the pin arrangement. Virtually all DIN connectors are based on either pins set on a 1/2 circle, 180dgr or "A" type or on a 240dgr part of circle, the "B" type.

That mic looks like neither and the pins are set as to the corners of a square, as is the domino DIN. If the mic proves worthy of spending a bob or two on, there looks to be a locking screw keeping the connector assembly in place and it might be possible to remove it and get an XLR plug turned down to fit. The screw will almost certainly be stuck in with a locking compound, judicious warming with a hairdryer will release it.

Dave.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #965737 - 23/01/12 10:46 AM
I seem to remember that the pins on the 545 were a larger diameter than the pins on a DIN plug and I ended up permanently soldering a cable to mine.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3497

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media