Main Forums >> User Reviews
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Arthur Stone

Loc: Wales
Radial JDI Passive DI Review
      #970130 - 14/02/12 02:51 PM

Background: I use an Ibanez SR500 bass and whilst it's perfect to play, I haven't been totally happy with the tone which was lacking resolution both live and recorded; also the dynamics were uneven across strings and the fretboard. In the mix this led to an ambiguity in the soundstage and I needed a lot of top end to bring definition whilst boosting the bass meant wooliness. Things improved after DI'ing the bass through a BAE1073mpf (which passed through the output transformer but not the input transformer)...the tone was there...a healthy ringing warmth - but still the lack of definition and uneveness of dynamics.
After reading up at Gearslutz.com I reckoned I needed a passive DI - I nearly bought a cheap one, but decided to save up for a Radial JDI.

Hardware: The first thing I noticed as I unpacked it was the weight (720g)...very solid; this acts like an anchor with the non-slip rubberised base. The folded-steel design is ergonomic and there are no sharp edges to snag cables. The enamel finish is quality with clear legends; the push-buttons latch well and the insert sockets are tightly secured to the chassis. As the JDI a passive unit there is no batteries or external power needed.

In Use: The weight is a well-judged balance between stability and portability, it's a solid base for the cable and doesn't drag around easily, it's set and forget. I plugged in an active bass (Ibanez SR500) to the JDI input; then a short XLR from the JDI output into the mic input on the BAE and added 40dB of gain (@1200ohms).
I was blown away from the start - it sounded 'peachy' (sorry!). The tone was very pleasant, still the harmonics but no harshness; the resolution of the tone, the shape of it, was incredible...very 3D (and I'm looking forward to mixing bass now); the articulation of dynamics seemed to have been improved too - there was more evenness across strings and frets. Basically it sounded like one guitar rather than 4 different ones.

On electro-acoustic guitar the JDI performed just as well as bass...same peachiness of tone and smoothing of harsh harmonics with added 3Dness.
I tried a passive electric guitar too and was impressed...better than any other DI input I have - the fact that the JDI is passive didn't adversely affect the tone...maybe a little bit darker but certainly full bodied.
'Musical' really does apply here; it's as if the JDI is an instrument itself.

Conclusion: This is great bang-for-buck for your signal path. It sounds superb. Excellent design and build quality. I'd thoroughly recommend the JDI for anyone who wants to improve their guitar tone and resolution.

References:
Radial Engineering JDI & J48
http://www.radialeng.com/pdfs/smartsheet-jdi.pdf

Edited by Arthur Stone (14/02/12 02:57 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Glenn Bucci

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Radial JDI Passive DI Review new [Re: Arthur Stone]
      #974667 - 08/03/12 03:49 AM
I have the unit also and just love it. I use it mostly for recording bass as well. I use the XLR to a mic to record thebassamp with my Brauner mic. Then the quarter inch jack goes to my Portico pre or Manley Voxbox.

I also foundby going in it and then my bass amp, it gives a more solid sound. Really happy with it.

--------------------
revelationsoundstudio.com

Jimmy T

#975535 - 13/03/12 03:28 PM
I've got one also and again I use it for bass. It works very well.

Helmutcrab

Loc: County Durham, UK
Re: Radial JDI Passive DI Review new [Re: Glenn Bucci]
      #975635 - 14/03/12 08:44 AM
Hi Glenn,

Im interested as to how you use your jdi for recording bass amp with a mic but am confused. Are you using the xlr output of the jdi into your mic and then taking the jdi 1/4" input to a preamp ? Is the impedance not too high for a preamp from the 1/4" unbalanced input on the jdi or is that sorted by your portico/manley. I didn't realise you could reverse the signal path on d.i's, if so thats very interesting. Im just trying to learn about this subject.

Cheers

Peter

--------------------
music for the downtrodden
https://soundcloud.com/slipper-hero

Henry Mark1

Loc: USA
      #976699 - 19/03/12 09:13 AM
This thing is very nice. I have it with me and I am very satisfied with it.

ryanevans1

#977551 - 22/03/12 06:20 PM
Wow this is quite unique and fun thing. Good job man!

Edited by zenguitar (22/03/12 07:36 PM)

Frank EleveldModerator

Loc: NL
      #979105 - 30/03/12 09:37 AM
I'm a big fan of the Radial DI-boxes as well. Nice concise write-up!

Arthur Stone

Loc: Wales
      #985960 - 05/05/12 08:39 PM
Anyone considering the Radial should check out the review of the Orchid DI's in this months issue of SOS.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #986226 - 08/05/12 12:13 AM
Orchid products are getting quite a reputation for quality results at bargain prices

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Imran500

#987399 - 14/05/12 07:19 PM
Quote Arthur Stone:

'Musical' really does apply here; it's as if the JDI is an instrument itself.

I've got the J48 Active one - I'd say it bumped up the quality of my DI'd in Guitar Rig recordings by 30% it was significantly better sounding. Quality DI boxes are a must have

grab

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Radial JDI Passive DI Review new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #988882 - 22/05/12 09:15 AM
I've just got some Orchids too. We played a large-ish pub in St Ives on Friday, so we thought it'd be a good opportunity for our newbie soundman to practise. Also a good test for the Orchid DIs too (two mini ones on the two guitar synths and a standard one on my bass), since the room lights were incandescents on a dimmer, turned down to about a quarter. Not a trace of hum, and everything sounded spot-on.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 8948

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media