Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Ulysse

advice on buying Sennheiser K3 U ME40
      #971562 - 22/02/12 09:20 AM
Hi there!

I'm looking for a pair of good microphones to do stereo recordings, use as drum overheads, location recordings and sampling.
I stumbled upon a pair of used Sennheiser K3U/ME40 mics. These consist of the preamp handle and the ME40 super cardioid capsules. The battery for the preamp is not included (but phantom powering is no problem). This model seems to be about 30 years old, I don't know if I can easily find replacement batteries

Has somebody worked with these mikes?
Would you recommend them?
Is ~90£ a fair price?

Thanks for your input!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: advice on buying Sennheiser K3 U ME40 new [Re: Ulysse]
      #971566 - 22/02/12 09:26 AM
I'm sure John Willett will pop up soon with full info, but they're well respected mics and £90 for a pair (or even £90 each) seems like a good deal.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #971608 - 22/02/12 12:18 PM
Quote Ulysse:

I don't know if I can easily find replacement batteries

The batteries are still available:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duracell-V403PX-Alkaline-Battery-Blister/dp/B00432 N904/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329912595&sr=1-1-fkmr0

or:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Varta-Professional-V28PXL-battery-145mAh/dp/B005D7 7B1Q

The handbook for the preamp body and ME40 mic (as well as the other sytem capsules) is here: (the english text is about half way through)

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/old_manual.nsf/resources/K3N.pdf/$Fil e/K3N.pdf

You don't need the battery if you have phantom power (although you will still need to switch the mic on).

It's a decent mic. Not the quietest mic on the planet and has a low-ish output level, but would be fine for drum overheads and general stereo atmos recordings/sampling. £90 for a pair sounds a good price to me.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Ulysse

#971628 - 22/02/12 01:30 PM
James, Hugh, thanks alot for your opinion.
For the moment, the pair of SDC I have are Samson C02s which I find quite noisy through my motu ultralite's preamps.
Do you think the K3/ME40 is a worthy upgrade from the samsons?
Or would you rather save this money for investing later in, say, a matched pair of Rode nt5?
best regards,
Ulysse

mpeg2

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
      #971826 - 23/02/12 01:25 PM
I have one of these and I can confirm its excellent quality and very low noise. It has a super-cardiod pattern but is very sensitive to windblasts when used on close voice-work. I suggest working 40 to 45 degrees off-axis and using an effective foam filter if using on speech. I have activated mine using 4 x LR44 button-cells which fit nicely into the space provided for the original 5.6V (Mallory PX23 according to the label inside) battery. I've got no idea at this stage how long they will last.

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
Re: advice on buying Sennheiser K3 U ME40 new [Re: mpeg2]
      #971856 - 23/02/12 03:24 PM
Quote mpeg2:

I have one of these and I can confirm its excellent quality and very low noise. It has a super-cardiod pattern but is very sensitive to windblasts when used on close voice-work. I suggest working 40 to 45 degrees off-axis and using an effective foam filter if using on speech. I have activated mine using 4 x LR44 button-cells which fit nicely into the space provided for the original 5.6V (Mallory PX23 according to the label inside) battery. I've got no idea at this stage how long they will last.

I would use a proper PX23 replacement battery or 12-48V phantom power if you can.

The ME40 was nominally a cardioid and not a super-cardioid, by the way.

But the K3 system, as you say, is a good microphone and was only replaced by the K6 when they made Mercury batteries illegal (the PX23 replacement took a while to come and has no Mercury).

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

mpeg2

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
      #972179 - 25/02/12 06:45 AM
My suggestion on using button cells was a suggestion for quick checking and will not harm the microphone. I have been running mine for several days now without any noticable voltage loss. Its been in its box for at least twenty years and on powering it up it ran perfectly. A point in this regard is that now we have such ease of access to high quality preamps, monitors etc, it's great to be able to hear now just how good many of these classic old mics really are.

Searching the net reveals significant difference of opinion on the pickup pattern. I am unable to open the link above to the manufacturers manual to verify.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 9157

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media