Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
mjfe2

Loc: Cambridge, UK
normal EQ vs linear phase EQ
      #994479 - 24/06/12 12:54 PM
I read a lot about how many things 'should' sound without having the luxury of hearing these things for myself. One thing I've been wondering about recently is how to listen for phasing caused by a conventional EQ (e.g. ReaEQ, which I use in Reaper all the time). Would I hear these problems by themselves without a linear phase EQ for comparison?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
C.LYDE

Loc: South Africa
Re: normal EQ vs linear phase EQ new [Re: mjfe2]
      #997717 - 13/07/12 05:20 PM
Good question - applies to quite a few effect discussions, ... Emperors clothes ... personally I'm of the opinion if I can't hear the difference, its not worth breaking my head (or the $$$).

However putting on my scientific cap - use of a spectral type display - I use Steinberg's Wavelab for detailed analysis, might be more helpful at revealing the effects of phase interference ...

--------------------
C.LYDE
http://soundcloud.com/c-lyde

Jack Ruston

#997721 - 13/07/12 05:25 PM
For me it's more when you're dealing with multi mic'd sources like drums, and you have a good cogerant phase relationship at tracking, but after applying a lot of eq the sound seems to collapse a bit power-wise.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

mjfe2

#1038174 - 14/03/13 02:45 PM
Hmm, just wanted to re-open this discussion because I'm still not sure I understand how EQs put the signal out of phase. If you EQ a single channel can its phase be affected? Or does this only occur when multiple EQ bands are used? Or is it only made apparent on multi-mic'd instruments where one channel is EQ'd, which sounds 'phasey' against the non-EQ'd channel? Thanks in advance!

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1038186 - 14/03/13 03:18 PM
I'm sure Hugh will add to this, but Ethan Winer explains EQ here

http://www.ethanwiner.com/EQPhase.html

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #1038199 - 14/03/13 04:05 PM
Had been wondering if I should get a linear phase EQ for use in parallel processes (to avoid "smearing"?), but have laid off because of 1) some talk about "pre-ringing" (??), 2) descriptions that they are quite CPU intensive.

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase 6.5.0/SX3.1.1.944, XP SP2, 4GB RAM (1GB not accessible, but used just to balance the computer so it doesn't tip over); Delta 66 in Omni i/O Studio; Motif8; UAD-1

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1038218 - 14/03/13 05:40 PM
Quote mjfe2:

Hmm, just wanted to re-open this discussion because I'm still not sure I understand how EQs put the signal out of phase. If you EQ a single channel can its phase be affected?

We are all used to viewing the audio world in terms of the frequency-amplitude response. That's how we draw filter shapes, and measure the 'quality' of mics, speakers and equipment. But there is also a parallel frequency-phase response -- the two go hand in hand. Changes to one always affect the other in the analogue world.

Analogue world filters are built from resistors, capacitors and inductors. The last two are fundamentally resonant energy-storage devices, and consequently signals are delayed slightly as they pass through them -- the amount of delay being dependent on the frequency.

As a result, every filter stage not only affects the amplitude with frequency, but also the delay with frequency. In some design circles engineers will talk of 'group delay', but in the audio world the delays are generally tiny and manifest as relative phase shifts. So every device that has filters -- and they all do, even if only to set the bandwidth limits -- will also have a phase response which varies with frequency.

Here's the phase response of a single channel on the JDK 8MX2 mic preamp/mixer:

Although our ears are not very sensitive to these typically small relative phase shifts at different frequencies, they do go some way to affecting our perception of different 'flavours' of EQ. More importantly, we have all become completely accustomed to the way analogue EQ alters relative phase with frequency and that's what we expect to hear. These small phase shifts also affect the shape of the amplitude waveform, because the different harmonics are moved in time relative to one another through the action of EQ, as well as changing their amplitudes.

Most digital EQs emulate analogue EQs and so also incorporate similar phase shifts as part of the EQ itself. Linear-phase EQ deliberately doesn't do that... which can be useful in some situations, primarily where you don't want to change the waveform envelope shape.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

mjfe2

Re: normal EQ vs linear phase EQ new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1038233 - 14/03/13 06:36 PM
Thanks, as always, Hugh! So is the frequency/phase response the reason why those recent discussions about third-party EQs being no better than bundled DAW EQs are too simplistic? I have to say, it's quite hard to think outside the frequency/amplitude box (especially as it maps so neatly onto how we understand the two dimensions of musical notation!).

mjfe2

Re: normal EQ vs linear phase EQ new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1038891 - 19/03/13 03:57 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

We are all used to viewing the audio world in terms of the frequency-amplitude response. That's how we draw filter shapes, and measure the 'quality' of mics, speakers and equipment. But there is also a parallel frequency-phase response -- the two go hand in hand. Changes to one always affect the other in the analogue world.

On another note, how many manufacturers publish stats about the phase response of their equipment? Would this be a useful measurement of quality? I'm always baffled by how many preamps or interfaces, including budget offerings, quote flat frequency responses of 20hz-20khz within a fraction of a decibel. Presumably this is meaingless unless all the frequencies are in phase with each other as well?

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1480

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media