Main Forums >> Recording Techniques

Dan B

Reged: 30/01/01
Loc: London
Re: Positioning transmission line speakers
      07/06/07 01:43 PM
thanks hugh.

i've always had the pmcs set up with the rockwool behind them. they've recently replaced / supplemented my BM5s, which were similarly positioned (though toed in). the bm5s sounded fine that way - not too much bass build up (though the difference in bass volume and extension - not to mention overall improvements in depth, imaging detail - between using the BM5s with my old Servo 260 and the new Flying Mole DAD HT-100 Pros is staggering, and reveals that the BM5s are actually mighty fine monitors - i'd been pretty disappointed by their performance with the servo 260!).

given this, i would hesistantly guess that the pmcs should be too badly affected. the pmcs do have noticably more bass than the bm5s, both in extension and volume. this is hardly suprising given the larger cabinet and transmission line. given that they're fairly close to the rear wall (not the side walls), i imagine that the rockwool improves things fairly significantly, though it's difficult to say i've not tested them either without the rockwool in place or with the speakers further into the room. of course, the other thing to bear in mind is that the pmcs have a rear firing transmission line, unlike the bm5s with their front reflex port, and so i expect the pmcs are even more sensitive to rear wall proximity.

if i get the chance, i'll experienment when i'm rearranging things (am waiting for some ready bags to arrive) and report back.

D

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator
Rate this thread

Jump to

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Positioning transmission line speakers w oxo cube 05/06/07 02:04 PM
. * Re: Positioning transmission line speakers Dan B   06/06/07 02:08 PM
. * Re: Positioning transmission line speakers Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator   07/06/07 12:52 PM
. * Re: Positioning transmission line speakers Dan B   07/06/07 01:43 PM
. * Re: Positioning transmission line speakers w oxo cube   06/06/07 08:30 AM
. * Re: Positioning transmission line speakers Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator   06/06/07 11:46 AM
. * Re: Positioning transmission line speakers TAKEN.BALL.GONE.HOME   05/06/07 02:27 PM

Extra Information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2004

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media