The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business

The Red Bladder

Reged: 05/06/07
Loc: . ...
Re: What todo with my life
      06/04/11 12:35 PM
We are dealing here with four subjects - What is the point of education? Quo Vadis Education in the UK? Quo Vadis MT? MT v. Electrical Engineering (or similar)?

1. What is the point of education?

Easy - what ever you want it to be! It can be learning for the sake of learning, or it can be learning for a well-paid job. It's totally up to the individual. The only trouble with all this, is that the more you swim down-stream, the more you are tied to a specific career later on in life. If you swim up-stream and study pure maths, you can do anything, from stock-broker to economics research. If you study economics, well, then you are going to have to stick with a career that uses that skill-set. If you do business management, you can work in any business and climb the management ladder if you are good enough, but if you do hotel management, then you are of no use in a garage or even (dare I say it!) a recording studio.

For this reason, the further down-stream you swim, the more selective you must be about the course you attend. Hence, the desirability of the Surrey Tonmeister course and the total unacceptability of others. There is nothing wrong with the others, but you are very far down-stream from pure maths, so you had better attend the best.

Sorry children, but we can't all study obscure subjects and expect society to give us a well-paid career in that subject. MT is swimming down-stream, so expect to be badly paid, or just not employed at all. Not only that, but if you do not attend one of the top colleges for that subject, you are telling the HR department that you lacked the focus, drive and intelligence to study a proper subject at a proper university. An easy degree in an easy subject and from an easy university, just tells the World that you go for the easy options. Your 'sheepskin' is what the Germans call an 'Armutszeugnis' - a certificate of poverty.

The same brutal truth applies to any of the vocational study courses. CGI, Media Tech, Catering, Food Tech, Fashion, Hotel Management, etc., etc., etc.

2. Quo Vadis education in the UK?

Wealth is created by excellence.

I shall leave that sentence there and all on its little own, so that you can read it and digest all that it implies. Wealth is created by excellence. Wealth is not created by being mediocre. This is more true for the arts than it is even for manufacturing. I have a foot in both camps and you can just about sell an average house or even an average car, but you will never, ever sell an average singer-songwriter, an average film, or fill an auditorium to listen to an average orchestra. There just are no residuals for an average white band, but plenty for The Average White Band. It is no coincidence that Adele attended The London School for Performing Arts & Technology.

.'. (therefore) if we seek wealth, we must seek excellence in education.

Public education in the UK has (almost) totally abrogated this task, to the point where droves of semi-literate, semi-numerate and totally impecunious youngsters, roam our streets; lost souls, looking for a role in society and finding none.

The A-Level of today is roughly the equivalent of the O-Level of yesterday. Most primary school teachers today cannot perform simple mathematical tasks. A recent Channel 4 programme asked a room full of primary school teachers to divide a half by a quarter and only one was able to come up with the right answer. To say that that is shocking, is to understate. Most young adults cannot identify an adverb or perform rudimentary sentence analysis. About half do not know the difference between their, there and they're.

We have bulldozed the grammar schools that took working class kids all the way to the top and replaced them with inner-city incomprehensives, where everyone is a winner! But the UK educational system tells the semi-literate and barely numerate, that a college education is theirs as of right! So now, a totally dumbed-down test ('How many fingers am I holding up - one, more than one, several?') is the pathway to a degree in golf course management.

At one and the same time, we have systematically destroyed the traditional apprenticeships that gave us the well-paid and respected careers of builder, joiner, mechanic and all the other great careers that became the foundations of society and often, the start of great and wealth creating businesses. No more day-release, doing ONC to HND building or mechanics at the local tech! Today, it is a lovely new university and teaches media studies. (My first contact with media studies was when I once had to fire the three most useless bods in a publishing house and I discovered that all three were proud alumni of this great study!)

But whilst we are floundering in the remains of what once was one of the best educational systems on Planet Earth, others (Germany and China in particular) are pulling their collective socks up and improving the standards of education in the most remarkable way. Which brings me neatly to MT.

3. Quo Vadis MT?

As Narcoman has pointed out, I have some knowledge of the German system. There, they two ways to become a recording engineer - or similar. The first is the famous Tonmeister and before any of the Surrey boys start to smile, trust me lads, most of the Surrey Tonmeister graduates would not even pass the entrance exam to one of the three German universities offering this six-year study!

Without going into details of the tests that candidates must pass to join one of the original Tonmeister courses, the first test is 60 mins of musical dictation, in which pieces are played and candidates must write down on the score, what they have just heard. Altogether, there are six or seven such tests, including basic electronics, physics, orchestration, an unprepared piano piece to be sight-read and a piece of your own choice. And then come the usual auditions, interviews and so on. Most candidates attend at least one year of music school to prepare for these entrance tests.

A second way to be the lad or lassie who sits behind that big desk, is to do a three year apprenticeship as a media technician for sound and picture (Mediengestalter, Ton und Bild). These apprenticeships are so sought after, that applicants have to either have good A-Levels (Abitur) or a qualification in a related field. Because an apprentice has to be employed as such by a studio or TV station or similar, the numbers are self-regulating. Most get in, via TV production, but many do this via recording studios, mobiles, mastering rooms, DVD authoring facilities and so on. Apprentices and moved from facility to facility, to give them an all-round education and work experience.

The 'Mediengestalter' career course was brought in over ten years ago and I was extremely sceptical, as it mixed picture and sound and even mixed in such tasks as DVD authoring, camera work, multitracking and live broadcast work. It sounded like a bit of everything, but nothing for real. As it turned out, the course has proven itself magnificently and has even effected markets outside Germany, but only because the companies that employ 'Mediengestalter' are taking work away from others outside Germany. From Queen in Glasgow to Genisis in Rome, or just that box-set of James Bond or Bourne films, all done by 'Mediengestalter.'

My opinion? That is the sort of system we need in the UK. Urgently!!!

4. MT v. Electrical Engineering (or similar)?

I have been working with renewable energy companies lately, evaluating the economics of the various types of energy storage. In this work, I have been talking to energy companies and they have told me, almost as a man, that they are desperate for graduate engineers in electrical engineering. Desperate, as in being able to recruit fewer than one-quarter of what they need. Desperate, as in unable to even bid for juicy contracts, because they just cannot get the engineers for the work. Desperate, in that they get planning permission for a scheme and then cannot even complete within the two-year window of the warrant, because of a lack of engineers. Desperate, in that they had to watch as German companies Hoch-Tief and Siemens get the only big hydro-electric scheme in decades in the UK, because UK contractors could not guarantee having enough engineers to complete the project in time.

So if you are happy with what I call the 'pooeee' law (P=UI, aka P=VI) and get all excited about Joules and his law, then you know what to do!

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator
Rate this thread

Jump to

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* What todo with my life Dodger 30/03/11 03:26 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life * User requested deletion *   25/06/11 09:39 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life DoItAgain   25/06/11 09:43 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life * User requested deletion *   25/06/11 10:18 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life DoItAgain   25/06/11 09:32 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Handlestash   20/04/11 09:47 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life bugiolacchi   20/04/11 12:00 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life hollowsun   20/04/11 12:10 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Dodger   19/04/11 08:27 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Handlestash   20/04/11 08:02 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life hollowsun   19/04/11 10:25 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Jez (mahoobley)   12/04/11 03:00 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Wick Daver   12/04/11 03:37 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Wease   11/04/11 09:11 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life hollowsun   12/04/11 04:06 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Jez (mahoobley)   13/04/11 01:10 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Steve Hill   14/04/11 06:51 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life onesecondglance   20/04/11 12:09 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life hollowsun   20/04/11 12:21 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Handlestash   07/04/11 08:49 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life ZukanModerator   07/04/11 08:57 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Handlestash   07/04/11 11:28 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Tony Raven   10/04/11 02:57 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Folderol   06/04/11 04:45 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Anonymous   06/04/11 02:51 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life hollowsun   06/04/11 04:05 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Anonymous   07/04/11 07:47 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life The Red Bladder   06/04/11 12:35 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life bugiolacchi   19/04/11 10:17 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life The Red Bladder   20/04/11 09:40 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life hollowsun   06/04/11 02:21 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Thomas Elise   05/04/11 11:55 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Nutshell Cavities   05/04/11 08:28 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Nutshell Cavities   05/04/11 05:41 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Steve Hill   05/04/11 05:21 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Jabba1   06/04/11 12:48 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life grab   07/04/11 08:54 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Chris No.1   24/06/11 12:28 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Dave Gate   06/04/11 03:46 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator   06/04/11 04:07 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life grab   05/04/11 12:36 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life hollowsun   06/04/11 03:33 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Steve Hill   05/04/11 07:51 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator   05/04/11 02:59 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life grab   06/04/11 08:40 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life hollowsun   05/04/11 11:56 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life A k A   03/04/11 09:21 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Anonymous   03/04/11 08:47 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Mike McLoone   02/04/11 07:55 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Aftertouch   02/04/11 06:52 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Steve Hill   02/04/11 07:28 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life bugiolacchi   02/04/11 12:25 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life PSR   01/04/11 10:48 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Anonymous   01/04/11 07:00 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life blue manga   01/04/11 11:12 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Nutshell Cavities   01/04/11 11:00 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Nutshell Cavities   01/04/11 10:14 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life * User requested deletion *   01/04/11 06:13 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Nutshell Cavities   01/04/11 08:06 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life * User requested deletion *   03/04/11 06:30 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life blue manga   01/04/11 10:05 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Nutshell Cavities   02/04/11 07:28 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life The Red Bladder   01/04/11 09:56 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Dodger   31/03/11 03:50 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life James PerrettModerator   31/03/11 04:40 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator   31/03/11 04:10 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Mash   31/03/11 02:51 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Mash   31/03/11 02:55 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Dodger   31/03/11 02:46 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator   31/03/11 03:34 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life Mash   31/03/11 02:30 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life jellyjim   01/04/11 10:24 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life jellyjim   01/04/11 10:31 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life tomafd   31/03/11 11:11 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life * User requested deletion *   31/03/11 09:11 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Dodger   31/03/11 08:44 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life The Red Bladder   01/04/11 09:29 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life ElecTrika-MixTek   24/06/11 09:09 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life * User requested deletion *   25/06/11 07:51 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life jellyjim   01/04/11 10:30 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Nutshell Cavities   31/03/11 03:30 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life James PerrettModerator   31/03/11 09:15 AM
. * Re: What todo with my life Mike Stranks   30/03/11 06:39 PM
. * Re: What todo with my life turbodave   30/03/11 05:36 PM

Extra Information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 22914

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media