Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics

Folderol

Reged: 15/11/08
Loc: Rochester, UK
A cheapskate way to find cable breaks
      31/12/11 05:36 PM
It's easy enough to find which wire in a cable is broken with a simple continuity test, but finding out where is a bit different. Most people opt for checking the plugs and if there is no break there, sacrifice the cable to two shorter ones by chopping it in half. However, if you have a 20m cable you can waste a lot of it if the break is only 1m from one end.

Most modern DMMs as well as continuity testing can also measure capacitance, and this is what I use to find breaks. Having found which wire is broken using a continuity test I then measure the capacitance at one of the plugs from that wire to the screen (if there is no screen I connect all the other wires together). I then do the same at the other end of the cable. The ratio of the capacitance is then the ratio of the distances from the ends to where the break is.
With a bit of fiddling around:

Assume c1 is the capacitance at one end and d1 is its unknown distance. Similarly c2 is the capacitance from the other end and d2 the associated distance. dt is the known total cable length, and ct is the total capacitance, c1 + c2.

d1 / c1 = d2 / c2

but dt / ct = d1 / c1 = d2 / c2

so:
d1 = dt x c1 / (c1 + c2)

Plonking in some figures for a 10m cable where we find we have capacitances of 100pF and 400pF

d1 = 10 x 100 / (100 + 400) = 2
So the break is 2m from one end. As a sanity check the break will be closest to the end with the lowest capacitance.

Because this relies entirely on ratios we don't need to know the cable's specific capacitance, and can work on any cable of any length provided we have a sensibly measurable capacitance.

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator
Rate this thread

Jump to

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* A cheapskate way to find cable breaks Folderol 31/12/11 05:36 PM
. * Re: A cheapskate way to find cable breaks Folderol   03/01/12 07:13 PM
. * Re: A cheapskate way to find cable breaks Boogyman   03/01/12 10:19 AM
. * Re: A cheapskate way to find cable breaks Folderol   01/01/12 12:51 PM
. * Re: A cheapskate way to find cable breaks Exalted Wombat   01/01/12 02:53 PM
. * Re: A cheapskate way to find cable breaks James PerrettModerator   02/01/12 09:39 PM
. * Re: A cheapskate way to find cable breaks Guy Johnson   01/01/12 12:04 PM
. * Re: A cheapskate way to find cable breaks shufflebeat   01/01/12 07:22 PM
. * Re: A cheapskate way to find cable breaks Guy Johnson   31/12/11 07:44 PM
. * Re: A cheapskate way to find cable breaks Exalted Wombat   01/01/12 01:06 AM
. * Re: A cheapskate way to find cable breaks shufflebeat   01/01/12 12:29 AM

Extra Information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4991

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media