You are here

Propellerheads software announce, 'Record' sort of..

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Propellerheads software announce, 'Record' sort of..

Postby forumuser695516 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:20 pm

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/05/09/propellerhead-record-oft-requested-reason-feature-will-be-an-entirely-new-tool/#more-5839

Not the new feature for Reason that some had hoped for. Its an all new application. Details are sketchy at the moment, but apparently we'll know more on monday?

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Re: Propellerheads software announce, 'Record' sort of..

Postby Nathy » Sat May 09, 2009 8:49 pm

Do all Reason Users have the same mac, and does everyone always have theirs on charge? :P
Nathy
Regular

Postby forumuser695516 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:18 pm

Nathy wrote:Do all Reason Users have the same mac, and does everyone always have theirs on charge? :P

If you actually watched it..... You'd see those people were being shown a preview of the software (which is not Reason). Likely on the Propheads own computer.
Whether its a mac or pc and on charge matters not one iota.

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser695516 » Sun May 10, 2009 3:41 am

More info in this shaky YouTube vid..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=855aToOvkd8

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby steve355 » Sun May 10, 2009 7:31 am

I don't really know why they would want to do that. There are too many DAWs in the market as it is, and really they have a very very long way to go to catch up with Pro Tools, Logic or Cubase. It will be interesting to see whether VST plugins are supported as any propellerhead-only effects will be very limited compared to what a huge commercial market of plugins has to offer.

But I am prepared to be amazed as propellerhead have been very innovative in the past.

Really I think they need to offer better integration with DAWs - a complete overhaul of rewire, or the ability to present combis as VST instruments would be fantastic. As a collection of soft synths, samplers, sounds and gizmos, Reason is incredibly good value. If you buy combo pack with the house refills you really don't need anything else to make great tracks.
steve355
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser695516 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Steve, Agreed. Theres so many DAW's already. And many/most will work with Reason. The Props have been quite innovative in the past, so it will be interesting to see if they manage to pull something different out of the hat.

Not that this is particularly intended for use with Reason of course.. But when you look at the Props forum, every week there is a new thread from someone asking when Reason will get audio features, or asking why it doesn't have it already. However, Reason was never intended to be a DAW, so I would guess this is how the Props have decided to compromise, while being able to sell a new, separate product at the same time.

Oh well, we'll see tomorrow

Paul

[EDIT] Some info leaked onto the props own forums. And copied here..

1. It records audio, duh!

2. It natively opens Reason files...if you have Reason installed.

3. 64-bit mix engine.

4. SSL 9000k modelded EQ and compression on every audio channel and an SSL modeled bus comp as well.

5. Line 6 guitar and bass amp models.

6. A simple Sound Canvas/Proteus tone generator.

7. Very intuitive track comping.

8. The best time-stretching I've ever seen. I saw a 40-track audio project (full band, vocals, etc.) time stretched from 130 bpm to 180 bpm to 68 bmp by simply typing in a new tempo value without any artifacting.

9. The Reason rack convention is maintained, but you can now have as many racks as you'd like from left to right. You can do all the cabling, just as in Reason.

10. No third-party plugins are supported, but it can be ReWired. As with Reason, Record is a "closed system" but that allows the code to be very CPU efficient. It will run on any machine that can run Reason, which is just about any lame computer.

11. No time code support, no video support.

12. The price is 49, 49 for registered Reason owners.
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby JKD » Sun May 10, 2009 9:03 pm

My opinion is theres already enough good DAW's out there. Reason does what it says on the tin!! I personally prefer having it rewired to a decent DAW (I have Reason 4.0 and Cubase SX) This provides the best of both worlds!!

Will be interesting to see what its like tho.

Paul im very interested in hiring you to play the triangle for a live gig if your interested, were having trouble finding somebody experienced enough!
JKD
Poster

Postby N WILLIAMS » Sun May 10, 2009 10:07 pm

I am now curious to know what Record will actually be. I have thought that it may be the new "Reason 5", but I doubt it.

I have used Reason since V1 and I am now thinking that it is wearing thin when it comes to the competition. OK, its not really competing with Cubase, Ableton and Logic, but from a development point of view, Reason is no more advanced now than what it was when it started. Just a few more bits of kit in the rack and a new sequencer. Having 'audio in' is definately something Propellerheads should've done by now. Why sell a virtual recording studio that doesn't allow you to actually record in it?!

Maybe Record will allow you to do as its name suggests, but for it to be successful it will have to provide us with something really special to compete, or be useful, with the stuff that is out at the minute.
N WILLIAMS
Regular

Postby desmond » Sun May 10, 2009 10:26 pm

I'm interested to see what it's USP is.

It's called "Record" which, although it keeps within their naming scheme, it's a rather dull name for a rather dull function. And yet they tease that this is unlike a DAW and is far more "musical", they've looked at how musicians work and come up with tool to improve the workflow.

From the info/screenshots we have so far, it does indeed look like a small DAW (track record area, mixer, access to instruments etc). If they really have looked at the workflow and come up with some new recording paradigm, or one that indeed makes this more musical (let's face it, sequencers and DAWs are great but it doesn't come close to jamming with good musicians where ideas can flow and mutate easily) - then I'm all for it.

DAWs are quite constrained in the compositional area. Live was the first thing to break away from the traditional recording paradigm and offer a different angle and toolset on the whole electronic music thing (and this is one of the reasons I like it).

We'll see. There's has been quite some stagnation and not much innovation in DAWs as they have all settled to a more or less standard feature set, albeit though with different implementation details.

Something new? We'll see...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Dec 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby steve355 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:05 am

N WILLIAMS wrote:
I have used Reason since V1 and I am now thinking that it is wearing thin when it comes to the competition.

I agree, something that was once incredibly innovative now seems slightly long in the tooth. To replace it, I'd only have to buy buy BFD, the Rob Papen synth collection, VSL, and a large collection of sound libraries. And then learn how to use them all, and put up with the fact that I can't route the CV output from a synth to modulate a weird parameter of a plugin somewhere.

But then again, my little boy has a recorder. Blasted thing has been the same for hundreds of years. It's about time they brought out an update. Else he'll be switching to a harmonica.

But seriously, I agree with you. They need to do something pretty extraordinary with R5.
steve355
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser695516 » Mon May 11, 2009 2:12 pm

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/record/

Well, there you go.. It still isn't quite a DAW as we know it. It reminds me of Apples GarageBand, with Reasons effects. Plus a few nifty features. Like the SSL style board and handy time stretching hoopla. Still no external midi though.. Midi must be dead as far as the Props are concerned!? They never made anything that fully supported it, and this is no exception. No external plugs either. But I have to say, the bundled effects look pretty decent.

JKD, Im fully booked until October im afraid

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby Stephen Parker » Mon May 11, 2009 4:08 pm

Could be a product that addresses more features that users actually want?

Looks decent to me - and if I had time to have a go..

Steve Parker
2twenty2
Stephen Parker
Regular

Postby stemwinder » Mon May 11, 2009 8:54 pm

I think Reason is an excellent product, but I don't understand this move at all. I also think that the Props are not entirely convinced. Here's a quote from a this Record atricle:

Record is an audio recording program, says Ernst, but "This program has nothing to do with audio. It’s all about music… We wanted this to be about music making." Record is a piece of software designed around the musical possibilities of recording audio, he explains, emphasizing the actual act of recording and working with sound in ways that are always connected to musical time, beats and bars, and a fluid approach to tempo and tempo changes. It focuses on a single task rather than bundling together lots of tasks.

They keep re-stressing this non-tech approach (my guess would be the GarageBand market) but the demo shows desks, EQs, compressors, routing - all the usual. Why not just big "TONE", "REVERB" and "COMPRESS" knobs? That would be easier! I see nothing which makes this fundamentally from any other DAW - if you can drive this, you can drive Cubase, Protools or REAPER.

(I thought the Props would have just bought Reaper. It even begins with an "R" - think of the money they would save on not having to re-brand it!)

Darren
stemwinder
Poster

Postby desmond » Mon May 11, 2009 9:02 pm

stemwinder wrote:"This program has nothing to do with audio. It’s all about music… We wanted this to be about music making."

Hence the millions of mixer channels each with "SSL" eq's and dynamics, and "that" console buss compressor...

Yeah, definitely letting the user focus on the music and less on the techy stuff and marketing buzzwords...

I agree. It seems like a DAW with a not entirely clear market (other than some Reason users).

I guess if Reason users look at it like a $150 Reason upgrade that now let's them record audio, it makes sense (after all, it opens Reason songs if you are a Reason user, and integrates them fully into the DAW). That, I can understand.

But for everyone else...

What I want is a DAW I can jam with, and then in mid flow, give it the nod and it'll understand to drop down to the bass and drums, follow my lead as we build up again and then I shout "Go" and we're of and banging, "guitar riff in A!". In short, help me arrange without having to tediously work it out and program it in advance. Give it some artificial intelligence and some musical "intuition". Let it suggest musical valid ideas and options if I want some like other musicians would. Let it work *with* me to make music, rather than just blindly wait for me to tell it what to do.

Then we might have something new.

Until then, any software which lets me create audio or instrument tracks, hit record, and let's me play to a metronome, call up a mixer channel for some EQ of dynamics, and bounce it down is... well... a DAW, and a fairly conventional one at that...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby jellyjim » Mon May 11, 2009 10:31 pm

desmond wrote:What I want is a DAW I can jam with, and then in mid flow, give it the nod and it'll understand to drop down to the bass and drums, follow my lead as we build up again and then I shout "Go" and we're of and banging, "guitar riff in A!". In short, help me arrange without having to tediously work it out and program it in advance. Give it some artificial intelligence and some musical "intuition". Let it suggest musical valid ideas and options if I want some like other musicians would. Let it work *with* me to make music, rather than just blindly wait for me to tell it what to do.

all much more interesting ideas than what "Record" appears to amount to and along the lines of what I hoped we were going to see. Sort of like a very clever looping pedal as far as recording/arrangement goes

Until then, any software which lets me create audio or instrument tracks, hit record, and let's me play to a metronome, call up a mixer channel for some EQ of dynamics, and bounce it down is... well... a DAW, and a fairly conventional one at that...

i think it does look great but yeah, i can't see what's new about it, it's a daw .. and midi-less no as far as i can tell?
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby forumuser695516 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 pm

jellyjim wrote:
i think it does look great but yeah, i can't see what's new about it, it's a daw .. and midi-less no as far as i can tell?

Yes, no external midi to other devices, bar controllers obviously. But other than that..... It does actually look quite good on the whole. Particularly for the price. Even more so for existing Reason users. Only $150 then..
Still seems like a bit of a confused product though.

I applied to beta test it. Would be nice to check it out properly

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby oggyb » Mon May 11, 2009 11:57 pm

It's truly beautiful. However, I won't be ditching Cubase for it.

Reason, I feel, is an excellent foundation package on which to build the funtionality that Record aims to offer. The Reason sequencer (even after its Re-novation) is a bit poopy in my experience and since Reason has something of the gear-slut-cum-garageband ethic about it, surely that functionality would only improve an already unique and inspiring piece of software.

Having said that, I would very much like to give Record a try at least
oggyb
Frequent Poster

Postby Darclinc » Tue May 12, 2009 8:57 am

For what it's worth, I don't think I'll be getting it.

I already have Cubase, Reason 4 and a bunch of competent bits of software ( Kontakt, Battery, DFH 2.0, Wavelab, Absynth, etc. etc. ) bordering on too much to utilise effectively at once. So, if I acquire more software in the future it will have to be something that adds to my collection of software and does something completely new or unique ( like Alchemy for instance, which I bought last week .. awesome, awesome app ). Record, on the face of it, just seems like stripped down duplicate Cubase functionality, bar a few small additions that doesn't really justify its purchase in my opinion.

I just don't NEED it.

I think it will probably be a well placed and well received product for entry level predominantly Reason users that are looking for "more Reason" or people that don't have a DAW already and are looking for a cost effective solution. It also looks very well priced compared to others, but it's definitely not for me.

The last thing I need in my life is another brand new DAW.

D.
Darclinc
Regular

Postby Stonehousestudio » Tue May 12, 2009 9:25 am

I've been using the Beta and its really solid, easy to use and sounds great.

I like the idea and can see its benefits over all the other recording systems out in the market at the moment.

Does exactly what it says on the tin!

Stonehousestudio
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 am

Stonehousestudio wrote:I like the idea and can see its benefits over all the other recording systems out in the market at the moment.

Stones - what benefits would those be?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby forumuser695516 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Stonehousestudio wrote:I've been using the Beta and its really solid, easy to use and sounds great.

I like the idea and can see its benefits over all the other recording systems out in the market at the moment.

Does exactly what it says on the tin!

If it isn't a silly question.. How did you get the beta? I applied through the Props site to test it, but no reply. Perhaps I wasn't quick enough!?

Record isn't scheduled for release until September I read, so im guessing it could change quite a lot from now until then?

Lots of grumbles around though, that this is going to use a dongle. ugh..

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby Kingbenlucas » Wed May 13, 2009 9:15 pm

I must admit i think it sounds wonderful! i have a sonar 8 rig that i also wont be ditching but i often make music in reason and simply want to add a guitar or vocal, records ability to open reason project files is brilliant and will also mean that you do not have to faff with rewire to get a more in depth mix of an entirely reason based track.
It seems to me that it isnt trying to take on the big guns but will no doubt be excellent what it does
Kingbenlucas
Regular

Postby steve355 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:11 pm

After mulling this for a couple of days it seems like a really clever move. They've been hassled for ages by people who want to add a bit of recording to a reason track. But there are loads of people (like me) who use Reason as a one stop "back end" and a DAW for audio, midi and mixing. So I dont have to buy Record; Reason is left intact and doing what Reason does best.

Great! Smart thinking by those Nordic guys.
steve355
Frequent Poster

Postby JKD » Thu May 14, 2009 2:24 am

I like the interface, and the time stretch function is great.....the video on the other hand...cheese
JKD
Poster

Postby forumuser695516 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:47 pm

I finally got onto the beta test program for this yesterday
I've only spent 2 or 3 hours playing with it, but I have to say, im much more impressed by it than I thought I would be. I figured Record was just another DAW. And in a roundabouts way, it still is. Except it really isn't!
Its much like how Reason was made to behave as much like hardware as possible. Record is just the same. You could argue that many DAW's have hardware-like characteristics, but not like Record does. Not by a long shot!
Im still a bit flummoxed by the lack of midi. Ok, midi is old now, and can be tedious. But drummers can be old and tedious too! So why leave out midi?? Unfortunately, im unlikely to buy it due to this.
It doesn't do VST's or AU's either. But I actually think this is a good thing. Because 1, the effects you get with it are actually very good. And 2, Stability. Keeping everything in house does wonders for stability, as any Reason user will tell you.

For those that don't use Midi at all (bar a controller keyboard input) then this app looks very promising for the money. Definitely one to keep an eye on..

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster