You are here

Music Ventures...are they still an operating company??

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Music Ventures...are they still an operating company??

Postby DanB » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi

I took the advise of many a SOS forum user and went with Music Ventures to produce my bands CD. Initially they were very helpful when creating the quote. But now we have now been waiting over a month for delivery (for only 1000 units) and they have gone to ground. They don't pick up the phone, they don't respond to emails. Just wondering whether anyone else is experiencing the same problems and if so how did oyu get around it?
DanB
Regular

Re: Music Ventures...are they still an operating company??

Postby himalaya » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:09 am

Yes! I am. Just can't get through. Not on the phone, not in email. What's happening? I have an urgent repeat order to place and there's no response. This of course means having to go to another company, sending CD masters and artwork again, waiting for the art work proofs. Not good...

Why did they change name from Media Sourcing Ltd. to Music Ventures ?
My website account has gone as well.

There should be some info on the website and customers should have received emails informing of the name change and disappearing accounts.

But I suppose it doesn't matter to me now, as I need to go with plan B today and produce my stuff with another company.
himalaya
Regular
www.electric-himalaya.com
VST and hardware synth sound design

Postby himalaya » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:16 am

double post
himalaya
Regular

Postby himalaya » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:17 am

I just googled this :

[url=http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:7Tx_E_NvpKIJ:drownedinsound.com/community/boards/music/4176796+"media+sourcing"+sound+on+sound&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=opera]http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:7Tx_E_NvpKIJ:drownedinsound.com/community/boards/music/4176796+"media+sourcing"+sound+on+sound&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=opera[/url]

However, it appears that orders can still be placed.

So what's happening ? Media Sourcing has gone bust, then resurfaced as Music Ventures and the story is repeating ?
BE WARNED !
himalaya
Regular

Postby Emmet » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:12 pm

It appears as though the old Ltd co went into liquidation and the management set up a new Ltd company operating from the same premises . A classic double glazing company trick, but by no means illegal.

Been using them Mediasourcing for a while, had no idea about the new company. I put an order with Music Ventures at the end of Nov last year...a few hiccups and slower than before but we got them in the end.

That should have put me off, however we've got an order in with them at the moment. Last got an email on Friday....everything is verrrryyyyy sloooowwwwww. I'm worried meself.
Emmet
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:56 pm

I'm always a little suspicious of a company that buys up domain names very similar to their competitors (as Media Sourcing did in the past).

Cheers

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby DanB » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:46 pm

Sheeeeeeet!

Is there any way of getting my money back? We have been waiting well over a month and a half for only 1000 CDs and they have all but disappeared. One guy gave me his mobile number but this is helpfully linked to the same answering service that no one picks up on the main number.

I paid by CC so could i get in contact with the card company for a refund?

Pain in the @ss
DanB
Regular

Postby himalaya » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:00 am

DanB wrote:

I paid by CC so could i get in contact with the card company for a refund?

Do so ! That's how you will get your money back.
himalaya
Regular

Postby AlphaCen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem. We made payment on 01.03.2010 by VISA Debit Card. The proofs were approved on 12.03.2010, since then - silence.

There's nobody to answer the phone there and they do not respond to emails at all. The managing director is out of reach.

I will try to claim a chargeback from my bank, we'll see how this goes.

In other words: avoid Musicventures.com - they are a fraudulent company.

Cheers,

Mac
AlphaCen

Postby Emmet » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:11 pm

The drowned in sound thread has been updated in the past day or so with this little nugget which seemsd to clarify what they're doing

Please, any labels reading this, be warned that the wanker behind Media Sourcing Andy Smales is now operating as Media Ventures.

There have been reports of 2 month delivery times on 1000 CDs, blaming printer, then poor quality etc etc. Basically he has no credit anywhere, waits til he gets money in from bands and then pays for previous orders at the cheapest plants he can find (that will still deal with him). It's shocking that the law allows someone to go under twice and then set up again using same website but with slight name change, doing exactly same thing

I ordered on 28/2/10...Mr Smales still replies to my emails, however every time he does its ANOTHER excuse. I've told him to give me my money back, it wont happen but you can but I can but try.

Can I suggest everyone affected Mr Smales and his laudable business practices contact his local trading standards. Lets see if we cant just get him shut down or at least his way of doing business given the oxygen of publicity. I just happen to be seeing my accountant tomorrow, I'll see how I can try and get a CCJ against him.

Or, if anyone lives in Shrewsbury and has a friend called Enormous Derek, we can get our money back that way?
Emmet
Regular

Postby No Logo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:50 am

Hi everyone

I've just found this topic after searching for 'Music Ventures' on Google. I have now registered with the forum so that I can tell you about my experience with this company. If you are considering having a CD glass mastered then I suggest you read on and stay away from Music Ventures!

It all started very positively. Me and the guys in my band searched for CD duplication on the web and Music Ventures was one of the first companies on the list. They were very helpful and assisted us in putting our artwork onto templates etc, and they replied to emails very promptly. They charged us £654 for 500 units including an 8-page booklet.

A week or so after paying we hadn't heard back, so we gave them a quick courtesy call - no answer. The website has several different phone numbers all of which either ring off or don't work. Eventually we got in touch with the artwork guy, who promised us that we would hae the CDs by 9th April (we were originally meant to have them by the end of March)...he attributed this to a problem at the pressing plant...an annoying setback, but reasonable...

9th April came and went and we didn't have our CDs. Our emails were ignored and our phone calls were not answered. We were supposed to launch the album at a gig on 15th April but could not do so - all proceeds were going to charity but we couldn't do this as we had no CDs to sell! I would estimate that the charity lost out by around £200-300 because of this...

It gets worse. Having tried many different numbers, we eventually got through to Andrew on the phone. We told him that he could either refund us (we even offered to drive to Shrewsbury to collect the cash) or give us a genuine delivery date. He promised to call us back, but didn't. A few days passed, we rang, again - no answer.

So we emailed Andrew and gave him 7 days' notice to either refund us or we would begin legal procedings. Again, no response.

Yesterday we spoke to him again. He told us he would be able to offer us a refund or a delivery date next week. We told him we wanted the refund. And now...nothing.

We have now filed the papers for legal action against the company.

I would advise everyone to avoid Music Ventures and any other company associated with it. The reason we went with Music Ventures in the first place is because the quote seemed too good to be true - which it obviously is!

I hope this helps!

Cheers, Steve
No Logo

Postby John Willett » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:14 am

Oh ****!

I have a CD ready to go to press and was about to use them as they have been good in the past (a couple of years ago).

So - pleas - can anyone recommend a good plant to get 1,000 CDs done - preferably one that also sorts the artwork.

Many thanks.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby John Willett » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:28 am

I have just seen a recommendation on the "Drowned in Sound" link that someone recommends Xpress CDs - does anyone here know there or use them? Any good?

Thanks.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby John Willett » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:17 pm

John Willett wrote:I have just seen a recommendation on the "Drowned in Sound" link that someone recommends Xpress CDs

As an addendum - I asked for a quote on-line and got a phone call from them within an hour - and on a Saturday morning!

They will e-mail me the quote on Monday.

They are about £100 more for a 1,000 CDs (fully done with shrink-wrap) than Music Ventures, but the price still seems OK.

Unless anyone knows better?
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby Aural Reject » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:33 pm

John, I've routinely been using Testa Rossa for over 12 months now...I'm on a session (break ) at the minute so I can't compare the prices....
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Aural Reject wrote:John, I've routinely been using Testa Rossa for over 12 months now...I'm on a session (break ) at the minute so I can't compare the prices....

Thanks AR - I'll give them a call on Monday.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby un_quantized » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:37 am

Nimbus are a trustworthy company

http://www.wyastone.co.uk/dod/index.html

They record and release Classical music and had one of the original CD pressing plants in the UK, though they are more small scale now on that side.

No idea how good their pricing is
un_quantized
Regular

Postby John Willett » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:32 pm

un_quantized wrote:Nimbus are a trustworthy company

http://www.wyastone.co.uk/dod/index.html

No idea how good their pricing is

Cheers - thanks - I'll ring them all on Monday.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby gaelic » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi
I'm technical advisor for a school young enterprise company.
We have been waiting for three months for 500 cds from musicventures.
Got an email from their artwork guy assuring me that they are still operating,
but having problems with the production plant.
gaelic

Postby Emmet » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:13 pm

gaelic wrote:Hi
I'm technical advisor for a school young enterprise company.
We have been waiting for three months for 500 cds from musicventures.
Got an email from their artwork guy assuring me that they are still operating, but having problems with the production plant.

For three months...tis BS, innit. What a nice was for the kids to learn about the world of commerce (i.e. it stinks). Collectively, we need to try and stop this man from taking anyone elses money. There's a difference between someone in genuine financial difficulties and a serial shyster.

Watchdog anyone? The kids angle is a good one to try and get some media interest!
Emmet
Regular

Postby Matt D » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:59 pm

And if you look at the history of Andrew Smales on Companies house records - it is a long line of dissolved companies and liquidations going back 17 years.

The payments to Music Ventures are made to a company called Online Music Ventures Limited. Interestingly - this company was formed 1 month before Media Sourcing Limited was first put into Liquidation. So I suspect the Director (Andrew Smales) knew this was coming and had a new company set up whilst the old company was being wound up. As it was a wind-up via a court order and not via a creditors meeting, the Director would have received plenty of notice.

My only advice to people is to ensure any company you request duplication from does not have any connection with Andrew Smales. This is a reasonable question. If they lie to you - you would then at least have the opportunity to attempt money from the Director himself.

Does anyone have any other limited company names this chap/company has used recently?
Matt D
Poster

Postby Emmet » Thu May 06, 2010 5:33 pm

got mine today. I'm just glad I've got them, I pretty much feared I'd never see my money or CDs again.

Hopefully, people will google them before ordering and see threads like these
Emmet
Regular

Postby AlphaCen » Thu May 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Hello,

Mine arrived today, too. After more than two months !!!

Music Ventures should be avoided at all cost, their total lack of responsiblity towards customers (who have paid their money in advance) is frightening, to say the least...

Cheers,

Mac
AlphaCen

Postby Emmet » Fri May 07, 2010 8:22 am

with that in mind you do wonder whether he buys a specific 'capacity' at a manufacturing plant, say 10,000 units, he waits until he gets orders that total that much and then, and only then, does he place the order.

They're also in the wrong type of box and have the wrong sort of barcode to go into Universal so thats delayed our release date even more, however, again, I'm just relieved I've got the swines.
Emmet
Regular

Postby CapnB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:45 am

Bother - I wish I'd seen this earlier

I placed an order last week (8th June 2010) for 500 units with MusicVentures, even drove down to their premises (basically a summer-house next to a swimming pool) to deliver the masters - a 300-mile round trip for me. I stressed we needed them fulfilled and delivered for 24th June.

Since then, their progress page has been stuck at 'in progress' and nobody's answering emails; phonecalls have simply yielded "I don't know the status, Andy isn't in the office but will call you back". I've been trying to get an update from them but it does sound like there's something fishy going on. Googling around I found this.

Based on the contents of this forum, we've taken a band decision to stay safe and get some ordered from elsewhere (Xpress, on recommendation) and hope either we get the order fulfilled at some point or get a refund.

I'll give it a week before we start talking LBA and small claims

CapnB
New here

Postby CapnB » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:19 am

Just to keep an update on this, finally got an email from Andy last Sunday saying he'd try and get me a fulfilment date. Nothing since and they're all AWOL again.
CapnB
New here

Postby Agamemnon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:37 am

Have to put in a good word here for www.digitaldiscduplication.co.uk. Our bands first ever venture into glass-mastered cd - 500cds, good advice, good price, all delivered in 16 days after initial artwork/master submission. No problems at all.
Agamemnon
Regular

Postby CapnB » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:09 am

Launch gig day. No CDs, and the company's gone AWOL again.

With a bit more expense we got a short run from http://www.xpresscds.co.uk/ who have been absolutely wonderful. Confirmation every step of the way, took 5 working days to get them from receipt of master/artwork to delivery on my doorstep (a day earlier than their own target date, too)

So I guess we'll see what happens with Musicventures...
CapnB
New here

Postby John Willett » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:32 pm

CapnB wrote:With a bit more expense we got a short run from http://www.xpresscds.co.uk/ who have been absolutely wonderful.

Yes, I have heard that XpressCDs are good.

I got my last lot from Downstream whom I found superb - and their prices were pretty close to my old Music Ventures quote, so I was even more happy.

In fact I was just about to place an order with Music Ventures and saw this thread just in time.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby Ramirez » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:02 pm

John Willett wrote:
CapnB wrote:With a bit more expense we got a short run from http://www.xpresscds.co.uk/ who have been absolutely wonderful.

Yes, I have heard that XpressCDs are good.

Just to throw a spanner in - we ordered 1000 copies of a single with XpressCDs. They delivered boxes and boxes of organic farming DVDs to us instead (with a couple of correct boxes, just enough for the launch gig that afternoon!)

Some hullaballoo followed as they collected the DVD at our specified delivery address, then sent them to our invoice address 200 miles away before having to return to collect them again!

We also used them for a run of 2000 albums in digipacks. No such problems that time, but the digipacks themselves looked and felt rather cheap.

We've used Orbis Digital since, and they've been great. Lovely digipacks too!

Aled
Ramirez
Frequent Poster

Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Next