You are here

Mass Conversion of Digital Audio to Analogue

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mass Conversion of Digital Audio to Analogue

Postby Allan - Red Cat Studios » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 am

Suppose I had thousands of digital files (recordings of telephone calls) that I wanted to turn into Analogue files that dont have to be fantastic quality, is there any software that will do this ?

Ideally Id like to do this by an automated routine.
Allan - Red Cat Studios
New here

Re: Mass Conversion of Digital Audio to Analogue

Postby ken long » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:56 am

I don't understand. What do you mean by "analogue files"? Do you have digital audio you want to store on tape?

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Allan - Red Cat Studios » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:08 am

What file format (or media type) would deem an audio recording to be analogue ? Would it have to be on tape ?
Allan - Red Cat Studios
New here

Postby Mowens800 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:17 am

I'm not sure why you would even want to do this.

You want to spend a lot of time, converting them and you do not mind about the quality. You would then have to label the medium and find physical space to store it.
Mowens800
Regular

Postby The Korff » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:24 am

Allan - Red Cat Studios wrote:What file format (or media type) would deem an audio recording to be analogue ? Would it have to be on tape ?

I agree with Mowens' post (I can't really think why you'd want to do this at all!) but to answer your above question: tape, vinyl, wax cylinder... These would do. Tape is probably easiest to work with (not DAT or ADAT though — that would be digital). I'd go with cassette, if sound quality isn't much of an issue.

But then why on earth would you want to undigitise all your audio files onto cassette!?!?
The Korff
Frequent Poster

I AM KORFF

Postby Allan - Red Cat Studios » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:35 am

Its for PCI DSS Compliance.

Many banks record their customer telephone calls. In that recording, the card number and the CVV number (3 digits on the back of the card) are recorded. In order to be PCI Compliant, the banks cannot store the CVV number even if its encrypted.

PCI Compliance will allow the storing of the recorded sensitive data if its in analogue format.

As you can imagine, many businesses (not just banks) take card payments over the phone and record calls for Quality Monitoring and Security reasons. They hit a problem when they record the CVV number.

So, the options are:

To pause and resume the recording at the point when the CVV number is about to be taken. We have discounted this as not possible.
To direct the caller to an IVR system where they would enter the CVV number via their telephone keypad or speak it. This is too costly.
To manually edit each call after it has been recorded to cut out the section of the call where the CVV number is recorded.

An idea I had was that if some sort of digital audio marker could be added to the call before and after the CVV number is recorded, maybe a piece of software could detect this and snip out that section of audio. This would allow the audio to be kept as digital.

I hope this makes my need a bit clearer.
Allan - Red Cat Studios
New here

Postby ken long » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:48 am

Allan - Red Cat Studios wrote:

An idea I had was that if some sort of digital audio marker could be added to the call before and after the CVV number is recorded, maybe a piece of software could detect this and snip out that section of audio. This would allow the audio to be kept as digital.

I think this will be your best and cheapest option. There is plenty of voice recognition software but more practically, you can set up tones to mark the beginning and end of the section recording the CVV number. Then run a script to automatically discard all information in between. Probably bespoke software though. You'll need some kind of budget to get it written.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby Allan - Red Cat Studios » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:26 am

I think my client has a substantial budget to do this.

Thank you for your input guys.
Allan - Red Cat Studios
New here

Postby ElecTrika-MixTek » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:38 am

Allan - Red Cat Studios wrote:I think my client has a substantial budget to do this.

Thank you for your input guys.

Madness.
ElecTrika-MixTek
Regular