You are here

Best studio condenser mic for under £100??

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Best studio condenser mic for under £100??

Postby NinjaPower » Thu May 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi all,
I currently have a Rode NT1A mic for recording vocals in the booth in my home studio, which I'm very happy with, but I now require a second condenser for separate mic-ing of stuff like acoustic guitars so I can record the vocals and guitar as 2 separate tracks in one take. (although I am aware that this setup will result in a bit of crossfeed between the 2 mic's).

I wouldn't mind the new mic also being handy with vocals if required.

But, as this is a bit of an experiment, I would like to get a fairly cheap one if possible...

over to you!
NinjaPower
Regular

Re: Best studio condenser mic for under £100??

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Thu May 05, 2011 6:49 pm

I have no idea specifically but the Audio Technica AT2020 keeps on popping up all over the place, might be something in it !

(P.S. IMO AT has good pedigree at least from the point of view that my all time fave ac.gtr mic is an AT4033)

Try and have a listen in a shop.

cheers

SafeandSound
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu May 05, 2011 7:40 pm

The AT2020 is a good "does most things pretty well for the money" sort of mic - I have two.

See Paul White's review here:

AT2020

For what you want and not breaking the bank then I'd agree with SafeandSound.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Jabba1 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:19 am

SafeandSound123 wrote:I have no idea specifically but the Audio Technica AT2020 keeps on popping up all over the place, might be something in it !

(P.S. IMO AT has good pedigree at least from the point of view that my all time fave ac.gtr mic is an AT4033)

Try and have a listen in a shop.

cheers

SafeandSound

+1, I've got one as well. Might also want to have a look at Red 5?
Jabba1
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri May 06, 2011 10:01 am

I think very highly of the Sontronics STC-1 SDC which comes in at £99 and I would rate as being as good as a Rode NT5, plus you can buy a nice omni capsule for it later for under 40 quid.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley ... Recording music: Mr Punch's Studio  

Postby DAGGILARR » Fri May 06, 2011 10:45 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:I think very highly of the Sontronics STC-1 SDC which comes in at £99 and I would rate as being as good as a Rode NT5, plus you can buy a nice omni capsule for it later for under 40 quid.

CC

Would any one else support this, as I am about to purchase a pair of mic's for recording acoustic guitar and have been looking at getting NT5's
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.

Postby The Elf » Fri May 06, 2011 11:28 am

DAGGILARR wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:I think very highly of the Sontronics STC-1 SDC which comes in at £99 and I would rate as being as good as a Rode NT5, plus you can buy a nice omni capsule for it later for under 40 quid.

CC

Would any one else support this, as I am about to purchase a pair of mic's for recording acoustic guitar and have been looking at getting NT5's
NT5s are very good indeed and get a lot of good press in these parts (try a forum search).

BUT

NT55s are more flexible, if your budget can run to it. The omni caps are an acoustic guitar's best friend in the right room.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DAGGILARR » Fri May 06, 2011 12:42 pm

The Elf wrote:

NT55s are more flexible, if your budget can run to it. The omni caps are an acoustic guitar's best friend in the right room.

Well you can get the omni caps for the NT5's but not the attenuation, however I am not clear as to when this is used. Under what circumstances would the pads be used?

Also would it be a reasonable comment to say that omni caps in the wrong room would be less than friendly?
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby BigElectricCat » Fri May 06, 2011 1:03 pm

DAGGILARR wrote:

Well you can get the omni caps for the NT5's but not the attenuation, however I am not clear as to when this is used. Under what circumstances would the pads be used?

When the source is very loud.

DAGGILARR wrote:Also would it be a reasonable comment to say that omni caps in the wrong room would be less than friendly?

You could always try the cardioid capsule in that case. However, in the wrong room you'll have a very hard time finding any friends in terms of mics.
BigElectricCat
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri May 06, 2011 3:06 pm

FWIW I have a pair of NT5's as well and use them fairly interchangeably with the STC-1s. Never bothered to get the omni caps, though, because I already had them for my STC-1s.

CC

PS once you've got your mic (Sontronics or Rode) I'd save up a little more and treat yourself to to an Invision Inv-7 shock mount. Well worth it.
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri May 06, 2011 4:13 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:PS once you've got your mic (Sontronics or Rode) I'd save up a little more and treat yourself to to an Invision Inv-7 shock mount. Well worth it.
+1 Got a pair of these and they do a great job.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DAGGILARR » Fri May 06, 2011 5:53 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:FWIW I have a pair of NT5's as well and use them fairly interchangeably with the STC-1s.

Would you choose one over the other for acoustic guitar?

Thanks for the tip on the shock mount
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri May 06, 2011 8:25 pm

DAGGILARR wrote:Would you choose one over the other for acoustic guitar?

It may well be that my discrimination is not as good as others on the forum who have been at this game a lot, lot longer than I, but personally I have been happy with both mics for guitar. I don't use the pads and high-pass filters on the STC-1's because I have them on my preamps, so there's little to choose between them. FWIW I got the Sontronic's new, while the Rode's I bought second hand.

I do think the STC-1's offer extremely good value for money.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Postby RegressiveRock » Fri May 06, 2011 10:46 pm

CC

Hey CC

Mate, we've had the odd difference of opinion in the past, but I really respect what you say (and I MEAN that). I also really like Trevor Coley and the work he does at Sontronics. It's great to see British entrepreneurs bringing products to our scene.

I think the STC1 is not a great mike, many of his other designs are good - not this one. Everybody seems to big up this SDC on here. I can't! And I've held my tongue a long time about this. His ribbon's got a great darkness that is really useful, the SDC1s I tested were just rather harsh in my view.

Honest mate! It's not a good SDC, there are better options in the price band.

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster

Postby Daniel Davis » Fri May 06, 2011 11:36 pm

The bottom line is you are not going to get anything great new for under £100 - you are going to get something budget. However little you pay for it it will be expensive if it doesn't produce the sounds you are after. You might be better holding off and saving up a little more. You may however sneak a bargain on ebay that others have missed at that price.
Daniel Davis
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat May 07, 2011 8:48 am

RegressiveRock wrote:His ribbon's got a great darkness that is really useful

Well, we can certainly agree on that, anyway.

Daniel Davis wrote: You may however sneak a bargain on ebay that others have missed at that price.

NT5's for under a hundred pretty frequently.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Postby Synth-lord » Sun May 22, 2011 2:13 pm

We used to use AKG C1000s at the studio I used to use which retail at around £95 - £100 a piece. Also Seinheiser do a nice range of condensers for a slightly more expensive price. You pay for quality these days. You'll find little else available for your price range.
Synth-lord
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun May 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Synth-lord wrote:We used to use AKG C1000s at the studio I used to use which retail at around £95 - £100 a piece. Also Seinheiser do a nice range of condensers for a slightly more expensive price. You pay for quality these days. You'll find little else available for your price range.

Welcome Synth-Lord!

Just so you're aware... around here the AKG C1000s is generally regarded as a very poor mic which can easily be bettered for the money these days. Whilst it was good in its day - which was when most projectistas were still recording to tape and needing something to really push the upper registers - the consensus now is that when recording digitally it gives a hard and brittle sound which is quite unattractive to listen to.

Each to their own of course and if it works for you... but for good or ill any mention of the C1000 here tends to arouse strong passions!

Oh! And I'm puzzled by your reference that "you'll find little else available for your price range". There's a LOT around for that sort of money - the issue is whether or not it's any good; and there are some perfectly respectable mics to be had for that sort of money.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 23, 2011 8:49 am

Mike Stranks wrote:
Each to their own of course and if it works for you... but for good or ill any mention of the C1000 here tends to arouse strong passions!

And those of us who still use C1000's have learned to keep quiet about it and just carry on using something that works for us.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk