You are here

Duet II

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Duet II

Postby RegressiveRock » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:56 pm

Any users out there?

I'm thinking of cashing in my Mini-Me and One for the convenience factor and the extra outs...

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster

Re: Duet II

Postby forumuser695516 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:57 pm

My Duet 1 has been great. The new one looks good too, and the extra pair of outputs sure would be useful.
I tended to trust Firewire more than USB however, but I guess my concerns stem back from the USB 1 days, when it was barely up to the job of punting a stereo 16/44 track through dependably. Never had a single problem with Firewire. But then I expect USB 2 is rather better now too?!

I'd be giving the RME Babyface a good look also.. I've not tried one, but they do have a solid reputation for quality. And even the Babyface is a lot more flexible with regards to IO than either of the Duets.
I do need more IO now, so i've been looking at the Babyface and Fireface 400 myself. Little point in a new Duet 2 for me, and the Ensemble is a bit spendy..
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby RegressiveRock » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:27 pm

~Paul wrote:My Duet 1 has been great. The new one looks good too, and the extra pair of outputs sure would be useful.
I tended to trust Firewire more than USB however, but I guess my concerns stem back from the USB 1 days, when it was barely up to the job of punting a stereo 16/44 track through dependably. Never had a single problem with Firewire. But then I expect USB 2 is rather better now too?!

I'd be giving the RME Babyface a good look also.. I've not tried one, but they do have a solid reputation for quality. And even the Babyface is a lot more flexible with regards to IO than either of the Duets.
I do need more IO now, so i've been looking at the Babyface and Fireface 400 myself. Little point in a new Duet 2 for me, and the Ensemble is a bit spendy..

Hey ~P

I've gone off the Ensemble, if I had the money it would be one of these:

Neve 4081

... with the firewire card, but I believe the software integration is aimed at Protools/Nuendo users, I'm on Logic and frankly that kind of cash is 'dreamtime' right now.

4x4 or 6x4 with quality pres and conversion is what I am looking for, but 2x4 will do and the what the Duet II lacks in knobby-tweaky-pushy-button-ness, it makes up in compact-gadgety-ness.

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser695516 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:06 pm

That looks lovely, and no doubt it is! But the Firewire add-on card alone probably costs as much as a Duet/Babyface
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby RegressiveRock » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:20 pm

~Paul wrote:That looks lovely, and no doubt it is! But the Firewire add-on card alone probably costs as much as a Duet/Babyface

Yeah but I am guessing that you like me are a sucker for quality and prettiness n the same package!

Anyway, back down to reality with a bump.

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster

Postby turbodave » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:04 am

Have we had a review of the Duet 2 yet?...will it be better than the Duet 1?...for the money it might be worth getting the Duet 1 as the price must have dropped. Dave
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby RegressiveRock » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:14 pm

turbodave wrote:Have we had a review of the Duet 2 yet?...will it be better than the Duet 1?...for the money it might be worth getting the Duet 1 as the price must have dropped. Dave

Good point Dave, but I really want the two extra outs. My Mini Me already provides me with 2x2.

Ta.

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser695516 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:09 pm

turbodave wrote:Have we had a review of the Duet 2 yet?...will it be better than the Duet 1?...for the money it might be worth getting the Duet 1 as the price must have dropped. Dave

Actually, I don't believe the original Duet was ever reviewed. Im pretty certain the Duet 2 hasn't been either, although it's not been out long yet of course. So early days yet.
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster