You are here

.wav not playing game

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

.wav not playing game

Postby recordplay » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Really baffled on this one. I have a 16 bit wav file from a student that has handed in as part of his work at the college I teach at.

The wav file says a duration of 00.00 and won't open in any editors, yet it opens using VLC player and plays perfectly. it also is the correct size of 120Mb

How can I fix the wav file? It would be better if I didnt have to ask the student to record it again as this is the second time it has happened?

FYI every other students work is fine, and the wav file was created on native instruments traktor on a mac
recordplay
Regular

Re: .wav not playing game

Postby dmills » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:25 pm

Odds are it is just a corrupt header, open it as a raw file and play with the options until you get audio that plays at the right speed (probably with a little burst of noise at the start).
Then save as a new .wav file.

Personally I would just give the student zero marks for submitting non standards conforming audio, next time they WILL check!
You presumably asked for a standard .wav file, well a file with an incorrect section length is NOT a standard wav file is it now, makes the marking real easy.

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster

Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Postby recordplay » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:14 am

How and with what program do I open raw files. I would like to explain to the student why this is happening
recordplay
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:51 am

The excellent free audio editor Audacity has an "import raw data" option. If you're trying to open it on a PC, I'm wondering if it could possibly be a non-WAV with the wrong file extension, and it only opens in VLC because it's pretty undiscriminating...or maybe it gets corrupted by pulling out a USB stick without unmounting or something...
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:10 am

I always thought .wavs were .wavs until I tried to open one with Sonar Ex1, "Wrong Configuration" or some such ****. Samplitude, Audacity, Cubase E6 all worked (CE6 moaned a bit at having to convert the file but was gracious enough to open it!).

In my case if VLC runs the tune I would just set Sam8se recording "Monitor Mix" in the background then, as has been said, export it as a proper .wav.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby kmane » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:03 pm

hi,

you can try adobe audition, it also can repair lost headers!

bye
kmane

Postby Mowens800 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:13 pm

recordplay wrote:yet it opens using VLC player and plays perfectly

Use VLC to export / convert the file since that is able to play it back.
Mowens800
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:09 am

Wavelab also opens raw files.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ken long » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:40 am

recordplay wrote:I would like to explain to the student why this is happening

Could be a number of reasons but the usual one I come across is when the recording device has failed to finalise the file. This could be due to a DAW crashing before recording is comlpleted, or a flash card is removed from a device or device powered down before file header has been written.

Best ask him how he produced the file.

Recovering the file, as has been stated, is easily done with something like Audacity (easiest becasue it's free). Import RAW file, it will ask you to fill in header values - bit depth sample rate, channel count. Then it's just a question of saving that file.

I must agree with Dan though. If this is submtited work, the student should have double checked their work.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.