You are here

Help with the Glyn Johns Method

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Help with the Glyn Johns Method

Postby RemoHead » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:09 am

Hi guys,

I've been doing a bit of experimenting with my drums sounds lately and would like to try the Glyn Johns method.

I just want to check i'm getting this exactly right so I can compare with my other recordings.

Im using 4 mics, 2 overheads (C414's), 1 snare mic (SM57) and a kick mic (D112) + my home made sub kick paired up with the D112. My kit is a well tuned Pearl masters.

Overhead One: set up directly above the centre of my snare drum, facing down, 40" above the snare. Panned right to 3 o'clock

Overhead Two: Set up 4-6" above the floor tom and exactly 40" away from the dead centre of the snare, angled so the mic capsule is pointing directly at the dead centre. Panned left to 9 o'clock

Snare and kick spot mics placed to taste.

I think i'm pretty close with this but feel free to let me know of any changes you'd make or suggest!

Would it be better to listen to both overhead mics individually first or as a pair?

Levels wise i'm assuming i'm aiming at the same level from both overheads when the snare is hit, and that the snare feels central in the stereo image.

Assuming I throw the C414 into carded does it matter if the stand and mic body is placed in front, behind or coming in from the drummers left hand side, just as long as the mic capsule itself is directly over the dead centre of the snare?

Many thanks in advance.

Remo
RemoHead
Regular

Re: Help with the Glyn Johns Method

Postby buggymusic » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:19 pm

I think all the elements are there for the method. To keep the phasing to a minimum use a tape measure to ensure equal distance to the snare from each overhead mic. Roll off the bottom frequencies off the 414s as the bottom end will be mostly via the bass drum mic. Record a test segment with snare and zoom in on the DAW to if see the overheads align. The suggested panning of the overheads about half way to the left and the right (not full panning) sounds correct. If you have a nice stereo valve pre put the overheads via that possibly as the newer 414s can be rather clinical sounding IMO.
buggymusic
Regular

Postby RemoHead » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:02 pm

thats brilliant thanks, when I zoom in on the waveforms of the overheads should they be perfectly aligned with each other for the snare hit, i'm guessing so.

I have a pair of TLAudio tube channels which can be stereo linked so i'll probably use those.

thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.
RemoHead
Regular

Postby Rob Taylor » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:08 pm

That's the ideal situation. Since they're the same distance from the snare, the sound will reach them at the same time, so the waveforms should be matching up.
Rob Taylor
Poster